Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Coolant inside Engine Block

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BlAcuraRsx 
#1 ·
im aware when u drain the radiator... there is still coolant in the block
so u fill it with distilled water and run the engine to flush out the coolant until it comes out clear

doesnt that mean there is water in the block still, so how can u completely drain the system?

what i want to know is:

1) how much coolant resides inside the block approximately?
2) if i flush with distilled water, then drain the radiator, isn't there water in the block now? even after draining

i just dont see how its possible to completely drain the system, i know that on other cars u can drain the coolant in the block by removing a bolt on the block, but i dont think the rsx is like that

#2 ·
you could get an air compressor and blow air into it forcing out the coolant.

#3 ·
if you do blow it out be gentle, the cooling system is made for 20 psi max, which is less than 1/5 the pressure of a standard compressor.

it'd be easy to blow a seal out so be gentle

#4 ·
forgot to touch that subject... haha.

#5 ·
i just dont see how its possible to completely drain the system, i know that on other cars u can drain the coolant in the block by removing a bolt on the block, but i dont think the rsx is like that
It isn't reasonably possible unless you pull the engine nor is it even necessary. OEM's don't even flush the engines all the way out when the run them in on the test stands before shoving them in your car. The minor amount left in the block isn't going to affect anything compared to how much your adding to refill the system.

#7 · (Edited)
The total coolant capacity (manual transmission) is 6.8 US quarts. That includes the radiator, engine block, coolant hoses, heater, and overflow reservoir. So drain what you can (including the overflow reservoir) and measure what came out. Subtract that from 6.8 quarts. That's how much is left in the engine.

You don't flush the RSX with distilled water because the Honda coolant is premix and the left-over water will dilute the coolant. Flushing isn't necessary. Just remember to get the engine warm and set the heater temp to max heat. That will make sure that coolant drains from the heater.

I removed my coolant plug from the block on my K20A3 to install an engine heater. It wasn't that tough, if you're really determined to get a little more coolant out, but it's not worth the trouble IMO.

#9 ·
i found coolant in my block aswell looks like its either comming from the throttle body or o-ring seal that goes around the bracket for the water pump is mounted.

i took off my intake TB the other day to clean iacv sensor bay. didn't think nothing of it till i saw my car leaking antifreeze with oil.then i remembered i saw antifreeze in the manifold when i cleaned the iacv sensor area to stop iddleing.also remembered to change out the o-ring seal on the bracket where the waterpump is mounted. don't know what it could be thats throwing coolant from the TB any help?????any suggestions???

#10 ·
9mo thread bump :face:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.