Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Lotus K24 Engine Swap / Widebody Build - DIY Fiberglass Mods

188K views 496 replies 144 participants last post by  Fight'n 3rd 
#1 · (Edited)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Thanks to the following suppliers & supporters...

Alan Gourlay - My inspiration and mentor. Without the original DIY post of your Stark conversion, I would never have attempted this conversion/build. Your dedication to helping others is unparalleled and I can't begin to thank you enough. Cheers mate!

K20A.org Forum Members - http://www.k20a.org
I would never have been able to figure out the Honda/Acura piece of this engine swap had it not been for you guys. Thanks a bunch for your interest and support. I hope this post inspires others as you all inspired me.

EliseShop - Yvo Tuk - http://www.elise-shop.com
Yvo was absolutely fantastic with not only advice and assistance, but great peripheral conversion/performance parts (both Lotus and after-market) at a phenomenal price.

ENDYN (Energy Dynamics) - Larry Widmer - http://www.theoldone.com
Both Larry and Josh were great when it came to helping a newb assemble a great performance-built K24 TSX engine. In a nutshell, they put together a kit of performance parts and machine work that allowed me to enjoy assembly in my own garage. Thanks guys!

Full Blown Motorsports - LJ, Chuck & the gang - http://www.fullblownmotorsports.net
Bottom line: The Full Blown team has been able to take some of my rough concepts and ideas, and bring them to reality through extensive fabrication capabilities and superior craftsmanship, providing innovative ideas and improved engineering throughout the build process. You guys are awesome! Thanks for attention to detail. I felt like I was always the most important customer and forever welcome in your shop.

SNS Automotive Lotus/Honda Conversion Mounts - Steve Davies (aka Stormin Normin) - snsautomotive@hotmail.co.uk
Thank you Steve for breaking the proprietary nature of 'Conversion Mounts' acquisition and making quality parts available to DIY'ers. Without you, our DIY option would be limited. Love your mounts mate!!

Martyn Tinker Lotus/Honda Conversion Drive Shafts - mfa.tinker@ukonline.co.uk
Thanks for the quality 'bomb proof' shafts Martyn. They work perfectly with Steve's mounts!

Lastly, I'd like to offer special thanks to James Wistanley of Stark Automotive (http://www.stark-automotive.co.uk/elise.html). While I didn't purchase the Stark kit (for K20... not K24), his support during my initial planning was more help than any single person. I'd highly recommend the Stark kit for K20 DIY'ers, as they provide a kit and support that includes everything you'll need to convert your Lotus Rover to Honda.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Car: 1999 Elise Sport 190 (Series 1) - Factory Track Prepared - 1,600 lb Aluminum Lightened Chassis

Primary Use: Performance Driving / Track Days

Existing Engine: Rover 1.8L VHPD (est. 175whp)

New Engine: NA Acura TSX 2.4L K24

Performance Goal: 280whp/210ft-lb Tq

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why DIY?

Initially, many may think the primary motivation to take a DIY approach is 'cost savings' . For some, that may be. For many others, it's not that at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure I went WAY beyond what it would have cost at a turn-key installation shop.

No, my reasons were different. I wanted to do a conversion to the level of detail & care not traditionally delivered by a third-party installer. Let me qualify that statement by stating that most 'turn-key shops' are more than capable of doing a conversion that way, but might only go to that level of detail and care on their own car, or for someone with a boatload of disposable income.

I chose DIY because simply put... I love my Lotus, and because of that fact, my conversion is/was a labor of love. I took my time and and enjoyed the experience, and as a result my Lotus is unique and a reflection of my passion for the car. Because I chose this path, I now know my Lotus intimately, and this new-found knowledge enables me to better understand potential issues that may arise in the future. No manufacturer's kit is perfect, and issues may arise, be it mechanical and/or electrical. It's nice not to be married to a shop that may not be there a decade from now. Just my humble opinion here, but never believe that a third party install shop will treat your car with the same passion and level of detail that you would.

Lastly, I'm not a mechanic by trade, but rather a sales/marketing desk jockey. I say this because I believe most Lotus owners are not professional mechanics, but have a passion for the car. If you can turn a wrench and read a schematic diagram, you most likely can do this conversion. You may not do it as fast as a shop who does it every day, but if you have patience and take it one step at a time, I believe most can do it just as good (and many of you even better).

Feel free to contact me directly with questions or additional contact information. There may also be other website/forums I can direct you to that might provide additional information and detail.

Good wrenching!!

- Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my first few laps at Road America this past July with the Rover engine (just before it blew). Awesome track. Can't wait to go back this next spring! I'll post a comparison video of the new TSX engine once complete.

http://vimeo.com/16341266

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few months back, I sourced the first component needed... an engine.

K24A2: 2004 Acura TSX

* Displacement: 2,354 cc (143.6 cu in)
* Power: 200 PS (150 kW; 200 hp) @ 6800 rpm
* Torque: 232 N·m (171 lb·ft) @ 4500 rpm
* Bore: 87 mm
* Stroke: 99 mm
* Redline: 7100 RPM

Actually, I was quite lucky finding this particular engine. Most 'Frankenstein' hybrid engines (K24 long block with a K20 head) require two separate purchases, but the Acura TSX (2004-06) came factory with the desired combination... Long Block with iVTEC Head (so no need to get the K20 head).

Engine Cost: $1,800. It may not look pretty, but considering nearly all the internals will be replaced, the only things we really wanted were the block and the head. Most everything else goes in the garbage.

Build Strategy: I have a few options here. NA or SC'd. Also, I could also de-stroke the engine to where it will rev to 12.5Krpm, but at the expense of more frequent rebuilds.

Some may be asking... why K24 vs. K20? The simple answer, personal preference. At 1600 lbs, I didn't want to take the fun out of driving the car (SC'd = 325+hp) so I settled on a performance goal of around 275-280whp. Fun... but not insane. I didn't want an engine that was so tweaked, I only got 5K miles out of it. I wanted longevity and reliability as a priority. Second, I prefer a NA aspirated engine, but a NA K20 would really only give me a few HP more than my VHPD. Considering the expense involved in the conversion, I want a little more for my money. A performance built K24 will easily meet that goal.

Since I recently blew the head gasket on my VHPD (at Road America in early July), I figured it's time to officially start the conversion process...

Removed Wheels and Undertrays.

Removed Rear Clam.

VHPD Engine Exposed

Removed Air Intake (Note Oil in Overflow Bottle)

Removed Rear Suspension Components and Exhaust

Strap-Up Engine Trans Assy

Turn Assembly Gently and....

VHPD Removed

Milestone 1.... Complete.

Now let's get this cleaned up and build the engine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned... Mac out

See less See more
#254 ·
:eek:

can't wait for the final product!

#263 ·
Still shaping the body. I had to wait for the wheels to arrive before finalizing the fender lines. Mounted the wheels & tires to get a better idea of exactly where I wanted my fender lines to be.

Via Photoshop, I did add in the carbon fiber bits in the air ducts to get a feel for the new look. Still tweaking the shape and lines. It'll be awhile before this thing rolls into the paint booth.

#283 ·
First answer... I'm a wheel-man for hold-up crew, but when I'm not out robbing banks, I'm a stay-at-home role model to a 5 year old. At some point, I hope to become a full time corrupt politician.. but there are so many in that line of work, it's tough. :shady:

Second answer... no budget for the whole car, but rather project by project. I try not to add it up as its depressing... but if I had to guess maybe $75k so far. It'll be $100k after the SC and dog gearbox. Then there is my auto hauler with plasma TV's... Very trick trackside home base.

#281 ·
A friend of mine created a new website that is kind of like a 'Facebook for Cars' or virtual garage for all you toys. Check out the garage I created!

https://macht2.ws/maclotus/v/elise-gt-widebody

If you want to create your own garage, use my complimentary sign-up code 'type72'. Eventually the site will have the ability to buy/sell performance cars while seeing their complete history of mods. Very cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.