Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Brakes squealing while driving but not braking?

57K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sxy2003 
#1 ·
Hey. I just had this problem come up a week ago and whenever I'm driving my car makes this awful squealing sound while driving but it goes away while braking. It isn't constant but it usually makes noises when the brakes are cooler such as when I first drive the car in the morning. I checked for uneven wear on my rotors and there was nothing abnormal and I checked the pads and they have a good amount of meat left in them. If anyone knows before I get new pads it would be awesome. Btw I'm running centric rotors with stoptech brake pads. Thanks

#2 ·
This is a stupid question but i m going to follow through with it. Does it squeak when your not moving?
Is there at certain RPM that it squeaks or does it squeak at whichever RPM? Does the squeak stops at all
after driving for a long period of time, say 30mins?

#3 ·
99% of the time what you describe is the audible indicator of a spent brake pad dragging on the rotor alarming you of needed replacement. As you say this is not the case....I would disasseble and look for a pebble. As a pebble is the only other cause ive ever heard of for making this noise.

#4 ·
Yeah I am going to try to disassemble the brakes soon when I have the time. The noise only squeals at any speed and it tends to go away after some heavier braking. I'm going to try to re-bed them in tonight and see if the problem goes away. Also a problem I might have is maybe just a lot of brake dust build up. These pads release ALOT of dust so I'm going to try to put my pressure washer to use. If not then I will replace the pads.

#5 ·
Get a wire brush and brake cleaner to go to town on your caliper brackets. It may be built up enough where your brake pad can't slightly be pulled away from the rotor where it's almost always got a little bit of pressure pushed up on the rotor.
Lube up your sliding pins, too, while you're at it.

#7 ·
Hmmm interesting. I re-bed them in and no luck :(. I am going to get around to cleaning them this weekend and yeah I'm going to recheck the rotors but so far there aren't any signs it might be that because they are still relatively new.

#8 ·
Did you ever find the source of the sound/fix it? I have the exact same thing and its driving me nuts. The sound is ridiculously loud when I first start driving the car in the morning or after its been sitting for a long time (while I'm at work). It sounds like metal on metal and then after a minute it disappears. Since its summer now, I believe I notice a muted version of the sound while driving. Maybe a bad wheel bearing..... Thanks in advance!

#10 ·
The brake pad vibrates in the housing while it's dragging on the rotor and doesn't successfully retreat due to friction.
I had the same issue, you need to take out pads and file the shoulders enough so that it slides snugly into the retention brackets. If you have to jam it in or even use a hammer, it's too large.
After I filed down my pads and cleaned the slides, I had no more noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.