Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

error code p1259

23K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DC5_BLACK 
#1 ·
I posted this in Problems and solutions, but no answers...

Anyways, my engine light turns on and off intermittently. Same thing happened last year, and it was oxygen sensor (according to Richmond Acura). Got it replaced, and few months later, started happening again, but engine light would always go off by the time I bring it in. RA claims they can't diagnose without the engine light being on...:dontknow: So I bring it to my regular mechanic and check the computer and it comes up with error code p1259. They check oil, connections, etc and they think it's the VTEC solenoid that's shot.

Just wondering, if it is the VTEC solenoid, is it normal for the engine light to be coming on and off intermittently? Also, are there any major consequences to delaying this fix if it is the VTEC solenoid? TIA

#4 ·
Hey! Yup, code P1259 is a ' VTEC System Malfunction', and will most likely be linked to your VTEC solenoid. The solenoid itself might need replacement, or you might simply need to clean out / replace the little oil filter mesh on the solenoid. Make sure that the shop that does the work tightens the bolts 'to spec', which means not that tight at all, otherwise they'll snap. You shouldn't run into any trouble if you don't have this done right away, your ECU is just throwing you a code to tell you that something is up with your VTEC. This will most likely be an easy fix, which you can easily do yourself with the right tools.

On a similar topic - I ran into some funky trouble last year. My battery was low and so I had low voltage on my AF sensor. I got the check engine light, and my car went into limp mode - I couldn't hit VTEC - I was stuck at 4500RPM :rotfl:

Anyway, good luck with the car, it'll be alright :thumbsup:

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys. I"m pretty sure it's the VTEC solenoid. I usually shift at 3.5k rpm so everything seemed okay. Tried revving higher today, couldn't get past 4k rpm. I'll ask them to check the gasket before i order in the entire solenoid

The weird thing is that it keeps turning on/off randomly every few days...

#7 ·
so i have a 03 rsx with the k 2.0 and my check engine light is throwing the same code in the same way except when the check engine light is on my car will only go up too 4k rpms and wont go any faster until i shift and then again only to 4k rpms in every gear could the vtech solenoid be the same issue on my car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.