Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

What type of manual transmission fluid?

88K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  peterrpham 
#1 ·
I losted my manual guide for my Rsx type S, and my clutch is getting stiffer and grinds due to high mileage. What type of manual transmission fluid does a Rsx type S takes? What kind should I use?

#8 ·
Unless you get get the exact list of chemicals in the Lucas automatic fluid I highly advise against doing this.

As posted before either the new Honda MTF(green label?), Amsoil, or Pennzoil/GM synchromesh.

I myself love Amsoil. Solved my 3rd gear "pause" and I have never once grinded 2nd.

#15 ·
I keep reading that Redline, Royal Purple and Amsoil are all good BRANDS...but what is the specific WEIGHT of MTF that is required for a 2005 rsx base model? 75W-90? 75W-80? Or possibly other...? I've read through multiple threads and can't seem to find it. Being a noob at this, any help is always appreciated :) Thanks.

#18 ·
Honda mtf is the best hands down man. If you have issues its your tranny, other fluids cant fix that. If honda mtf is good enough for a NSX & Type R its def good enough for a RSX.

#21 ·
If you have issues its your tranny, other fluids cant fix that. .
Not necessarily. With my 2nd gear grind, replacing with Honda MTF did NOT fix the problem. I filled with Amsoil MTF and my 2nd gear grind is nearly non-existent now. While I do agree that the issue is with the 2nd gear syncrhos, the Amsoil MTF has made shifting to 2nd gear much smoother compared to the Honda stuff. Probably 7k or so since the fluid change and still going strong.

#20 ·
My rsx was shifting hard when I got it. Changed the fluid with MTF and now its 99% better. Mornings for about a minute are still a little notchy. If i had more problems I suppose I'd look to other fluids. So far so good tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.