Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Fogs Lights: LED or HID

8K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  www.XenonDepot.com 
#1 ·
need some advice, dont know anything about lighting
which is better for fogs?

#2 ·
normal would work too..:dontknow:

with the fogs, they tend to crack easily. you could get some lenex and rig them up so they don't crack. i think that's what its called.

had no idea there was a LED for fogs

#6 · (Edited)
Although LED's do look good they will not be very functional as they will not project light far down the road. Installing an HID kit would be the better alternative and would maximize light output. The RSX uses H11 bulbs on the Fogs meaning you will need an H11 HID kit.

You could also replace the bulbs with a set of halogen performance bulbs. Jet Yellow is a very popular choice and is very functional. The yellow does a great job at penetrating through dense fog, rain and snow.

A few pics...

3000k HID kit installed

Jet Yellow Halogen bulbs

#18 ·
My 6k lowbeam/foglight HID setup. Hope you went with HID over anything else.

#24 ·
Honestly the fog lights on the rsx barely add any usable light. I have 6k hid's in my fogs. Can't say I noticed really any extra light than just low beam hid's. Im thinking of getting led's because the hid's create a lot of heat which worries me (especially during our hot summers here). I felt my fogs after a little drive, approximately 30 mins and they were quite hot. Would hate to melt them and could be a potential fire hazard and I do not want a car-b-q. So Im looking into LEDs now because really the light output is not significant even with hid's. Ofher reason is im having issues with my ballast for the fog lights. Link to ones I'm considering: http://www.lightdepot.ca/product_info.php?cPath=28_40&products_id=139
Trying to see pics to compare still.

#25 ·
35w HID kit will create less heat than the H11 bulbs that come in the housings off the shelf. No melting there bud! If you go with a cheap ebay "55w" kit though then your screwed .

#26 ·
Yeah I never even used the bulbs the kit came with so didnt get to see how hot they got. And I have a retro solutions night vision 35w kit in my fogs. I guess I'll just continue to monitor them because I would rather have hid's as they look great and match my low beams perfect (same kit in each) where as led's probably won't.

#30 ·
No issues with my DDM Tuning sets. Had lowbeams done for almost 2 years and works just like on day 1. My friend did the wiring, but I have them wired to the switch(third button next to moonroof control) If one of them is not lighting up it might be a bad ballast or bulb.

#31 ·
Yea i did have a problem, but i found that my ground source was not a good one and once i moved it everything was solved. I did the same thing you did, my own custom harness because i have the spyders too and yes that harness was CRAP. Have you sent that ballast to them yet? I know they got some crazy tools to test everything over there, if there is a problem they will find it. Always took care of any issue i have ever had.

#32 ·
I can't see how my grounds could be the issue since I used factory spots. I have not sent in the ballast yet but guess I will have to soon, just such a pain removing the front bumper everytime to get at it. I'll take one last good look over everything when I take the bumper off soon to install my front lip and go from there. Thanks for your input! :thumbsup:

#33 ·
no problem bud! I know how it feels when things dont work right. Any time any one of my lights doesnt kick on right ( HID or LED) I tear the car apart haha. That front bumper has come off an easy 20 times between everything I have ever added and replaced on the car ( alternator, different color HID bulbs, leds, intakes etc)

I shot you a PM too

#34 ·
The Spyder kit isn't a direct fit like they say it is(at least for an 06) haha but it can be spliced together just have to use plenty of electrical tape so it doesn't come apart.

#35 ·
i only used the back half of the harness, cut everything else out and bought an OEM switch and wired it in myself. screw tinkering with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.