Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Replacing the "Rear Main seal" when replacing the clutch

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Cb7-R 
#1 ·
Is this nessesary? I have a JDM type-R transmission with 20K miles on it. I am upgrading the cluthc to an exedy stage 2 and was wondering if I should replace the seal attaced to the crank?

and also what is the part number of the seal.

#3 ·
thats what I was thinking but someone suggested replacing it. thanks for the input.

#4 ·
Miles on the transmission really have no bearing on the main seal which is on the engine crankshaft...unless you're implying the engine / tranny combo only has 20K mi. Also, I wouldn't really consider the mileage now, but what you think the engine will have when you expect to pull the trans again. Even then it is probably better to look at age. I've seen plenty of 'collector' cars with low miles, but they leak due to aged / hardened seals. So if the engine is 2,3 or 4 years old now and you don't expect to pull the trans for 3-4 more years, is the seal going to be OK in 8 years?

IMHO, it's cheap insurance against a leak which will most likely trash your clutch in the process. It's less than $20 for a new seal and just about zero effort to install while the trans / flywheel is off. If you risk it, you could end up having to pull the trans just for a cheap seal. Of course the converse is also true...if you plan to sell the car in 2-3 years, you could just leave it and let it be someone else's headache!

#8 ·
Ok so I looked it up and Im guessing its part number 91214-PNA-014 which is number 26 in this picture. Can anyone verify this for me?

#9 ·
That looks like the one.

#11 ·
Alright so i have another question. when the rear main seal is removed, will another fluid leak out of there? if so what fluid? oil? i take it that whatever fluid, if any, leaks out will need a flush/change

#12 ·
change that SEAL!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.