Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Obx Power Pulleys Review

15K views 69 replies 32 participants last post by  Lambo123 
#1 ·
After doing some research, reading threads, testamonials, skeptical opinions, and warnings, i decided to say FUCK IT and install an underdrive pulley set about 2 months ago. I figured i'd give them a trial run befor i did a review.

When i first installed them, i was dissapointed...........in myself..........for not doing them earlier.

U can definatly feel the difference. Better pull low-end, and improved acceloration and throttle response throughout the entire rpm band. I choose OBX brand pulley set because of the extreme light weight. the crank pulley alone weighted less than 9/10 of a pound. (.88 to be exact) The crank + accessory set allows u to reuse the stock sized belt.

My set was installed by a very experienced acura service mechanic in his own spare time. Install time took less than 2 hrs. He obtained all new factory honda parts needed for the install. He also advised me that.."shaving weigh off the crank will give u noticable improvements, but it's not good to do it from both ends" If you're gonna do pullies or flywheel, do one or the other--not both.

Now...to those who swear that pullies don't do shit for our cars......your only half right.

U get very very little benefit fom accessory pulleys ALONE. In order to get the maximum benefit from pulleys, u have to get the whole underdrive set. CRANK+ACCESSORY Because the crank pulley relieves way more weight off the crank then the accessory pullies do.

PULLEYS DO NOT GIVE U MORE HP.....but they do free up some of the hp an engine normally loses through paresidic drag (like a flywheel)-resaulting in more hp to the wheels.

So basically, i've had the obx underdrive pulley set for about 2 months now and so far, i've not noticed any vibrations, noises, dimming lights, ac malfunction, etc but if i do at a later time, you'll hear about it. The only THING I'VE NOTICED WAS IMPROVED PERFORMENCE.
Pulleys, as well as other performence parts, come with a risk...some high...some low, but by following proper instructions and installation procesures, i don't see them posing any problems.

See less See more
#2 ·
:thumbsup: Nice, congrats on joining the dark side! I myself have a set of UR pulleys. The whole underdrive kit. I like them and wouldnt get rid of them for anything, mainly because of the pain in the ass it is to change out again, but moreso because of the performance increase. Enjoy.

#6 ·
I should had payed more attention to him, but he said someing about too much weight loss on the crank and inertia and spinning mass....some shit like that. He's not the first person i've heard say that.

#12 ·
after reading about 45 different threads about the UR kit, I have become FULLY aware that our stock crank pulley is not harmonically balanced and just thought I would put that out there before this gets out of hand.

#14 ·
Yup I've got my full UR set and am glad. BTW the stock flywheel on our car is 16 pounds- I personally wieghed it recently. This sucks cause now I want to get a lightened flywheel, but am wondering if it really wouldn't be the best mod with the pulleys:confused:

#15 ·
They say u shouldn't do it, but people who have done it have not complained. My buddy has the light flywheel and pulleys on his 2000 integra type-r-----he said no problems, but that's a completely different engine than ours.

#18 ·
GO RAVENS! but if you dont care, dont post. LOL REP is turned off so post count doesnt mean shit anymore.

#20 ·
yeah its gonna be hard! Try taking a pill. LOL:rolleyes:

#24 ·
Not to say that nothing will go wrong in the future, (and i hope it dosen't) but i've yet to see any problems.--it is too early to say that. Since i constantly read about all these people who have had these pulleys on for about a year or more with no complaints, and i've yet to hear any horror stories on an RSX, i figured i'd try them.

In a case like this it all comes down to that u heard vs what u expierienced.

#25 ·
Its true, I haven't heard anything wrong either.
The fact of the matter is, lots of cars come with a harmonic damper and yes they are there to do something.

I remember reading about other vehicles that when changed underdrive pullies the motors have blown very quickly.

I'm still a student and I don't have any money so I personally wouldn't risk spending that $200 or whatever it costs for that 1.5hp or something with the notion that there MAY be a possibility of detrimental effects within the motor.

#34 ·
BACK FROM THE DEATH!!!

Just wondering if they still holding on ok..... did anybody find out about the flywheel+Pulley combo Pros and Cons?

#35 ·
I've had a set of AEM power pulleys and a lightweight flywheel on my '03-S and had them on for about 7 years and have had no problems. I ran the car pretty hard for the first 5 years or so. I have 160,00 plus miles. still runs great! I used to be into old muscle cars and understand the purpose behind a harmonic balance and a dampener. If in doubt take the crank pulley and see if it stays balanced when hung by a string in the center, or spin it on a drill and it should spin w/o any wobble. if it was a balance it would wobble/vibrate.

#40 · (Edited)
I'm aware of this and was just saying if you are in doubt about the main crank pulley being a balance/dampener, that you can test whether or not it is by the said means. Notice the wording CRANK PULLEY in my statement??! I was replying because someone had asked about lightweight flywheel/power pulley combo,which I do have.

#37 ·
UPDATE: Well, it's been over 2 yrs and still i have the lightweight pully/10lb flywheel combo with zero issues, just a smooth faster revving engine.

#38 ·
wait, you decided to get both? i must have missed that earlier. good to hear its working our for you!

#43 ·
I'm not a scientist.
I have a 8 lbs flywheel. Just wondering should I really for the light weight pulley...

But seems like I should put the pulley that was balanced, right?

Also, you were talking about the inertia... I was just wondering if the flywheel got lighten/free up, isn't that should be free up some weight on the other side of the crank to balance it up?

#45 ·
wich brand? do you have Ps/Alt/Cs pulley or just Alt/PS only?.. what kind of flywheel are you using?.. just curious to know, get some more info.

#46 ·
Yeah talk about bump from the dead. Unorthodox racing pulley kit crew holla, had it on for three years no problems. Just fast revs and strong acceleration. :giggity:

#47 · (Edited)
All three, and Im using AEM Power, I got them for the exact reason that the crank pulley weighed the same, I plan on upgrading the clutch and have been told either to the flywheel or the other not both, so I got a good deal and said screw it, but it does feel stronger with awesome smooth acceleration :weeeeeeeeee:, highly recommended!! Not to jump on someone else's thread, but what flywheel/clutch kit would you guys recommend for a dd. Looking for a stage 1.5 or 2 around that.

#48 ·
the one in the CRSX store? lol they have all sorts of various combinations with lightweight and ultra lightweight flywheels and stage 1, 1.5, and 2 clutches

the ITR flywheel is also popular because it's lighter than the stock one but not unbearably light (since it was OEM and had to be drivable)

#49 ·
Im partial to CC stage 4 kit, but with mostly stock car, a stage 2 will be fine. I would recommend a 8-12lb flywheel.

On topic...

I would not see a problem with mixing the 2 as long as you have everything balanced. The issue that was mentioned if correct, which sounds like it is, you lose too much inertia. Too much wieght either side will give you that problem, so what is the difference? The deal with inertia just means you have to launch higher, you lose alot of rpms on granny shifts, have to raise idle cause coming off freeway can stall ya, etc...you can over come the issues with the inertia loss very easily.

I plan on going with pulleys once I get everything else taken care of on my car, cause to me pulleys go on once you try to squeeze every lil bit you can from a car. Alot of people will do only them or them first, that is there thing, to each their own I say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.