Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

sickly sweet odor inside car

5K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  bsivoljr 
#1 ·
Since last week, whenever I leave my car sitting with the windows closed for a few hours, a strong sickly sweet smell builds up inside. It clears pretty easily after a few seconds with the windows open, but it's a little nauseating. I thought there might be a leak somewhere so I did a quick check under car and inside the engine compartment but didn't see anything. The smell reminds me a little of nail polish remover (ie ethyl acetate) but more fruity if that helps.

#3 ·
is the car on and running when you smell it? if so...
coolant??? check your level to see if its going down? or burning away causing the smell..

if not...
have your changed your air filters inside lately?? maybe something is in there that is causing the smell..

im just thinking out loud..

#11 ·
It's either your passenger sweating off their coco butter lotion when they're on your seat, or there's a few other places to check as people stated above...
Cabin air filter (number 1) between the seats for stuff, back seats for man juice, and the spare tire trunk.
I say get the seats cleaned too as well.

#13 ·
Car is not running when I notice the smell; it's completely cold (like first time getting in car in the morning for example).

Just checked coolant level; it's at min when car is cold and max when warmed up. Also checked under the floor mats, no evidence of coolant leak from heater coil. So I guess it's not coolant I'm smelling then???

I'll check cabin filter and spare tire area next.

Oh and it's definitely not from a hooker in the trunk...anymore :shady:

#14 ·
Update!

I found out what it was...an old cupcake hiding in a bag under the seat (don't ask me how it got there). Frickin' gross ass mofo was all covered in hairy fungus goodness. It was like a whole little mold civilization in there. I swear it was pulsating slightly :ugh:

And FYI I did change the cabin air filters anyway; they were dirty but no dead animals. I was disappointed.

#22 ·
hmm. the smell is noticeable when your car is off. i think i have a similar problem as well but its when i'm driving. usually on the interstate is when i can smell it. check my coolant level and it has not change a bit so its not coolant. i think its gas fumes or something that smells like it because i was filling up the other day and realized the same smell at the pump. wondering if you realize that or if its a different issue. i dont remember if this is when i'm on a full tank or close to empty. but its every once in a while i have the similar odor in my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.