Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

"Recommended flywheel upgrade for Type S" if using Exedy Organic?

Tags
exedy organic
4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  SkylineTT7 
#1 ·
Well, my question is basically this: how necessary is it to change the flywheel if I want to install an Exedy Organic Clutch on my N/A 02 Type S with all of the basic bolt-ons and Stage 1 Cams? I'm planning on getting the Organic Clutch because of the torque capacity increase over the regular OE replacement, however, I'm not sure about what the real risks would be if I were to not change the flywheel also? Any advice?

#2 ·
im no expert... but you dont NEED to upgrade the flywheel. your type s one should be fine. Some people will upgrade to a lightweight one so they can rev up faster, but then your revs will also drop faster from my understanding. if your main concern is just replacing the clutch to handle the upgraded power from your bolt ons and cams, then the clutch should be fine. Another option you could consider instead of getting a new aftermarket flywheel would be to just resurface your type s one.

#4 ·
Thanks for the peace of mind, guys. I've also heard of lightweight flywheels not being so great for a daily driver because of the way that the rev-matching and all of that changes. I'll just have the flywheel resurfaced.

#5 ·
Thanks for the peace of mind, guys. I've also heard of lightweight flywheels not being so great for a daily driver because of the way that the rev-matching and all of that changes. I'll just have the flywheel resurfaced.
I agree with that ( 8lb flywheel user here).... especially if you are in Zombie mode (mornings & afternoons coming back from work).... but once you get used to it... it isn't that bad.... you just gotta shift faster and being more aware on how much gas to give, as well as how fast you let the clutch out.... :vtec:

G
#7 ·
I've had lightweight flywheels in my car two times now.

Each time, I tell myself, "You'll like it, everyone has one".

And each time, I hate it.

Next time I have the tranny out, I'm putting the iron flywheel back in.

#8 ·
If you want a lighter flywheel the Type-R or CC 11.5 lb is the lightest I would go.

But for a DD I would probably just stay stock as it is more enjoyable.

I am not experienced with flywheels so don't quote me on this but from what I have been told and read about when I was looking into doing it, the k series don't really like anything lighter than 11-12lbs.

#9 ·
more talk please!

Im going to be upgrading my drivetrain sometime in the next 18th months.

Just purchased a Wavetrac LSD. looking at teh ep3r/dc5r(jdm)/fn2r flywheel for my aftermarlet drivetrain setup.

G
#10 ·
More talk?

Flywheel weight is a strictly personal choice. What is acceptable to me may not be to your taste, and different for a third person's. "Talking" about it is not the same as driving a car with it. Read my earlier post. The internet said, "Ohhhh, you will love it, the car will be perfect", and I hated it both times.

If it is possible to find a local owners who has a car with a lightweight flywheel, see if they will let you drive it. That's the only way to know.

#13 ·
lightweight=racecar status. but no really i have one and they are annoying. nothing you can't get use to but at the same time they are annoying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.