Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Difference Between NRG Quick release 2.0 and 3.0?

26K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  LiL N 
#1 ·
I just discovered these things now that I'm actually putting stuff into my car and I figured that with my incoming armrest it would make a fantastic combination for easy steering. So other that the 3.0 having that batman wing looking protrusion coming out what is the difference between the two. And what is that thing for anyways?

#3 · (Edited)
Good call. Good info. I see now that the ring is there to make the release easier. I think that flaring stuff is a little too ostentatious, though. I wouldn't want to draw attention to the thing. There are thieves about, you know.

Another question about these things. Is a hub necessary to mount them to the column?

#7 ·
You'll need a short hub and an aftermarket steering wheel in order for this to work. This allows you to remove your steering wheel. Just get Gen 2.0. The other versions basically allows you to remove the steering wheel a lot easier easier, but they're useless unless you drive around with racing gloves; then gen 2.5 + will be good for you.

#8 ·
Dude, you're really helpful lol... and yea, I've seen that. Setups with cruise control rigged up elsewhere because the quick release is solid and you cant run wires through it. That's fine by me, but do you suppose it is possible to rig up the stock steering wheel to work with the quick release? I kinda like my steering wheel... has anyone done it. I've seen what I believe is the Type R wheel on it, so why not the stock?

#9 ·
It wouldn't work. You have plugs & wires that wouldn't allow it, plus the center piece that attaches to the steering shaft.

If you want to go in the route of a quick release, make sure to get a short hub that comes with an SRS airbag eliminator like the Splash ones. These are plug n play. Then you can use the NRG QR and aftermarket steering wheel of your choice.

There's a lot to choose from. Spoon, Sparco, OMP, Momo, Nardi, Personal, Key's Racing, etc. :wavey:

#16 ·
You will need a hub, a quick release and a steering wheel. You could get the NRG short hub which they sell on CRSX. There are other hubs such as Bells. The hub mounts to the steering column. The quick release is mounted onto the hub. The steering wheel mounts to the quick release. The quick release allows for aftermarket steering wheels to be used and also allows for them to come off easily and be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.