Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Burning oil?

Tags
burning oil
2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  n19htmare 
#1 ·
i realised that when i would hit it in first vtec wouldnt hit till late and sometimes sputter and sometimes in second as well. so then i went to go check my oil and there was no oil on the dipstick! So i went to the store and bought 5 quarts of Amsoil extended life 5W-30 synthetic. when draining the oil it looked as if only 3 quarts or so came out. my cars oil was last changed about 3000k ago before i put it up for the winter last november. my cars not leaking oil anywhere and also does not smoke, so am i just burning oil that bad?

#3 ·
so burning this much oil seems to be normal? Now i was also wondering for my next oil change if i should go back to regular oil. i didnt think once u went synthetic that u could go back to regular oil.

#4 ·
I don't think you should switch back to dino but from what I have read you can switch to a heavier viscosity like 0w-30 to reduce burning, especially since we are approaching summer here in NY. I'm sure there are some oil experts here that can clarify this further. There have been some threads on this before.

#13 · (Edited)
Mine will burn .5 to 1 qt over 6000-7000 miles if I beat on it.

Last change I babied it almost all the time (due to nearly $5/gal gas prices) and it didn't lose a drop.

I use only 10-30w full syn.

1 qt every 1000 miles? I don't know, unless you are drag racing it literally every day I don't think that's normal, I'd have it checked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.