Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Powersteering pump whine when cold out

44K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Hnlvance 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Having a little issue with my 02 type s. Whenever it is colder out (below 50) my car has a whining noise to it. It comes from the power steering pump, and gets louder as you turn the wheel and pick up speed. The car isnt hard at all to turn, but this noise is driving me crazy.

I checked the fluid level, and its right where its supposed to be. But there are some tiny air bubbles at the top, and it kind of smells like it was burning abit.

My friend seems to think it is the resevior and hose thing. He says they go bad alot. Do you think that could be the problem, or do I need a new powersteering pump?

Thanks guys!

#3 ·
The belt looks fine, no chunks missing or stress cracks in it.

The noise actually went away. I drove the car to the grocery store, drove home and then parked it for about an hour. got back into the car and no more noise or anything. Idk what is going on

#6 ·
Changed o-ring and powersteering fluid. Problem is still there. Only happens for a few minutes when its cold out. Very hard to turn the car, almost like it has no power steering at all. I have noticed with the new fluid that the power steering pump has quieted down a bit. Once the car warms up and gets driven for like a mile, it is fine, no problems at all. Any idea what could be wrong?

#9 ·
Ok Let me know if that makes a difference. I was told by a friend of mine that their is a filter in the resevior (not replaceable) that gets clogged, which starves the pump of fluid. In order to fix this, he said you have to change the whole resevior. I might try that next and see if that makes a difference before I by a new pump.

Did you use OEM PS fluid when you replaced it?
Yep 100% oem acura stuff. The fluid was very dirty.

After changing the oring and the fluid I have noticed the steering is better. Doesnt make noise as long as it did, and the stiffness goes away quick.

#18 ·
I have the same problem. My pump never did this before but I always had a leak from my high pressure hose. I just replaced it & now it's making this whine on cold starts & when I turn my wheel gets even louder. After driving in for like 10-15 mins the noise will go away & wont come back till I next start the car. Probably will be getting a PS pump now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.