Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

overfilled oil by 1/2 quart.....is this serious?

42K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Cb7-R 
#1 ·
So like a doofus, I overfilled the engine oil by about a half quart. I'm wondering how big of a deal this is. I found this: http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2001/August/03.html, where they say that a half quart isn't bad for most cars, but some cars (they point out a Volkswagen 4 banger), it can cause problems.

I know that overfilling a car can cause some pretty heinous things (foaming, seal issues, excess air in the engine) but is half a quart really gonna do that? I just bought my base RSX at 30k miles, so the last thing I want is engine damage, but I also don't want to fork over the cash for something that isn't really a concern.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I think u should be okay, but if your really worried, drain the some of the oil and re-fill...
How far about the 2nd hole is it?

#5 ·
You are probably fine. I did that once by accident on my car.

I got the excess out by unscrewing the oil filter. It makes a bit of a mess, but so would trying to undo the drain plug and put it back in mid stream.

#11 ·
when i did my last oil change i poured in the amount mentioned in the owners manual, forgetting how much that is right now, but it only reach at the half on the dip stick, that is exactly in between both circles. I don,t know why it didn't make it to the top circle. Do i add more now to make it reach the top or will that be too much since it will exceed the amount recommended by per specification in the owners manual?

#13 ·
Start it up and let it run for about 5min, then shut it off and recheck the oil level after 5 additional minutes, this allows the oil to run through it's normal cycle through the engine components and filter and is the true level of oil you should be concerned with.

When I change my oil I always fill up to the recommended 4.9qt and put a little in the oil filter itself (~1/3 of the way up) before installing it, then I recheck it after a drive and I usually still have to add about 1/4qt more...

#15 ·
It doesn't get much simpler than dipping a stick into fluid to gauge it's level. It's always going to give you an accurate pan level, you just have to be consistent as far as when you check.

I usually settle for between the dots right when doing an oil change and get the real level the following morning after it's all settled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.