Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY: Honda CRV Turn Signal Switch "Replaces Cheapo Ebay Switch"

24K views 92 replies 33 participants last post by  dc5_dy 
#1 ·
Ok well starting off i know alot of people on here run the ebay fog light kit and there's nothing wrong with the kit but the cheap ass switch they send you. This DIY replaces that with the honda crv switch. Its a cheap and clean looking idea. If you dont like it idgaf and you can keep your cheap gay ebay switch....... Sorry for the shity pictures and no detail in write-up. Im pushing for time and this should be good enough. If you have more questions just post them below and i will gladly answer them later

FYI: THIS DIY WAS DONE ON A BASE RSX....... not sure if there are differences on a type s but should be the same

Parts/Tools Needed

1.) Honda CRV Turn Signal Switch "Obviously"
2.) Phillips Head Screwdriver
3.) Flat Head Screwdriver
4.) 3-4 Ft Of Wire
5.) 2 Wire Connectors
6.) Electrical Crimper/Splicer

FIRST OFF PLEASE READ THROUGH THE WHOLE THING!!!!! IF YOUR NO GOOD WITH WIRES PLEASE STOP HERE AND FIND SOMEONE THAT DOES...............

Ok first you can unplug your battery if you feel like it, i didnt, but thats all up to you, just adding it in there

Next get in the car and look for these three screws under the steering collum, they should come outta these three holes on the bottom

Then take a flat head and separate the top and bottom pieces apart, it wont break there just clips holding it together

Then look for these two screws on the turn signal switch, they come from this area right here, there is a little push clip holding it in once the screws are removed, IT WAS A PAIN TO REACH, so i just gave up and gave it a strong pull and out came the turn signal switch lol

Unplug the connector on the back and this is what it should look like

Ok now grab the flat head again and pop the side console out, its the one with the sunroof button in it, "yes i know my cruise is upside down its an inside joke" lol lol

Pull the cheapo fog switch out, mine was half broken anyway and it should have a green tab on it

Next go back to the turn signal switch pin holder thing and tap in two wires in the top left side "they are the slighter bigger blue wires, you can see witch ones they go in, i just cut the ends some, pushed it in and bend the metal part of the wire inside so they wouldnt just fall out, and when the switch gets pushed in it should really hold it, but just in case i zip-tied the wires to the factory wires so there no chance of them slipping out

Here are some shots of the factory one vs crv one

Go back to the ebay wire switch thing, take it off and you should see 4 wires coming out, with mine i had to cut the two middles wires, i just tucked the switch back behind the dash when i had cut them

Here are the two cut middle wires

Now connect those two the two blue wires you tapped off of the turn signal switch, you can connect them this way to see if everything works properly, test them this way cause if the wires have to swapped just swap them if your fogs are on when on the off switch, but if its off and the fogs are off its wired correctly, then wire connect them together then crimp the wires like this

Now put everything back together following the reverse of this "if you cant get it back together thats pretty sad" but re-read the beginning if you need help, and here are some finished pictures, i needed to remove the ebay fog so i could install my purge button for my nitrous

And of course since this was the HARDEST thing in world to do, once you finish sit back and crack open a nice ice cold beer and relax……. Lol lol lol lol lol

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Res for questions and answers

Which switches will work, and where can i find one??

you have to just find one on ebay or go to the dealership because all models didnt come with the fog light add on for the switch, all these models will work though if you can find one with the fog light switch add on >>> 03-08 PILOT, 07-08 FIT, 02-06 CR-V, and 03-08 ELEMENT switch

Whats the part number for the switch??

The part number for the combination switch with the fog light switch is: 35255-S5K-F12.

How much does the switch cost??

Retail is about $100. Discounted retail is about $70 + shipping. eBay: $35 shipped, sold by alphaautomotive. Linked. I just bought one off of eBay, so 8 more remains.

#3 ·
I have a factory setup and its more in-depth than the whay cheapo setup. I tried just doing that and it didn't want to work for me... when I get home from Disney world I will try it again.. oh wait my cars in a million pieces! Well I'll save this this thread for when my cars back together.

#19 ·
i wish i woulda known this when i installed fogs lol

yea im wondering what to do next....... im working the tl-s steering wheel conrols but i cant seem to get it right yet

lol. Nice tip...

Yeah The 02-04 is unique and I have a soft spot for it too. It's the original DC5. Im sure I'll be happy with the 05-06 too though:thumbsup:
yea your welcome lol, and yea the 02's look more original and aggressive but the 05's look cleaner and sexier lol

#25 ·
Yea i had the same problem, you have to find one with the fog light light switch cause all models didnt come with fog lights, only ones that were pre-ordered with fogs

You just have to search, these are the models that you can look up to find one with fogs that fit in our cars 03-08 PILOT, 07-08 FIT, 02-06 CR-V, and 03-08 ELEMENT switch...... if you find a switch outta those with the fog light add on it will work

#32 ·
um not sure what you ment....... but if your at the place there the were you connect the blue wires to the red wires, those need to be connected, the red wires are your existing fog light wires, and the blue wires run back up your dash to the switch harness, i have a picture below to were they run to, they are the thicker blue wires in the top left side...... hope that helps, if not keep asking :thumbsup:

#33 ·
I have had my rsx for a year or so. I put the E gay fog light switch and harness in and it broke after 9 months. I was surprised it lasted that long. so for the last couple months i just ran a fuse and a toggle switch from my batter back to the fog lightns until my crv switch came in. and it works. But I want to put a relay on it and my has four wires. I know the crv switch works because I checked it with my old set up and they worked. i
Black - I assume its Ground
Red - is that a constant 12v or does that go to the fuse box
Yellow -
Yellow - I don't know where these go.

#40 ·
yea i mean i guess i could take a took at it, but next week is final week for me so im slammed atm :emo: but after next week id love to try and take a stab at it, for the cheapo ebay kit i know its stupid easy but for the OEM fog light crew its alot more complicated, i just wish i knew someone close that had an OEM fog light kit so i could take a stab at it hands on so i could make sure it worked before testing it.........

but your willing to post it up ill take a stab at it after next week :thumbsup:

#45 ·
I bought a new switch for an 08 Pilot and followed your instructions and it came out perfect. Only difference was my fog light wiring were of different colors, instead of the two red wires, I had to cut/crimp a green wire and a blue wire.

It's soooo much cleaner and nicer than the generic switch that came with my fogs..I haven't even pondered this idea...

Thank you for sharing this DIY!

#47 ·
The part number for the combination switch with the fog light switch is: 35255-S5K-F12.
Retail is about $100. Discounted retail is about $70 + shipping. eBay: $35 shipped, sold by alphaautomotive. Linked. I just bought one off of eBay, so 8 more remains. It was actually cheaper for me because I was discouraged from the $70-$100 price tag. I was looking for replacing my stock 2006 combination switch (part # 35255-S5A-A02) probably due to failing/wear & tear, and retail for it was about $40, discounted retail $30 + shipping. So I might revisit this thread once I get some fog lights in. I just remembered this guide from long ago, so I thought I stop by with some information since I saw nobody gave out the part number.

#49 ·
thanks

So if I get a crv switch setup, my fogs won't stay on with the high beams and brights??
but how are your fogs wired now?? do they stay on when your high beams are on?? if so they will remain with the same functions, this switch just moves the switch, however if yours are wired now so they cut off with high beams on they will be the same before and after

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.