Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

How much does rebuilt title effect price?

11K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  rsxscrazy 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a trade with an s2k w/ 87k miles some minor mods and a rebuilt title. I looked on KBB and in good condition it is worth like 14Gs. But how much should i consider to take off because the title is rebuilt? Or should I not even fxck around with a car that doesn't have a clean title? Let me know. thanks:iptf:

#4 ·
if its theaft recovery, who cares....as long as its the interior and nothing else. body dmg is "ok" as long as the frame is in place. floor.....forget it...asking for electrical problems.

#7 ·
honestly, i dont think you should even think about a rebuilt car, unless it's not your daily driver. maybe if you wanted it for a weekend race car or something like that.

main point is... i hope you realized that you're buying a rebuilt car. it was a complete loss, then "rebuilt" and given that rebuilt title. you'll always feel a little uneasy bout the car. and most insurance companies will rape you, whether it's premiums or how much they'll actually help you (pay for your car) in the case of an accident.

someone on crsx, forgot who, had a signature that went like this: "i would never take back a stolen car. like a cheating girlfriend, who knows what the other guy did."

#8 · (Edited)
My car is rebuilt... had it for 19 months with no problem... mine was for rear end damage...

Think about it... for a car to be re-titled... it has to pass a 350-400 state DMV inspection... includes frame, air bags, interior, exterior... everything...

Grant, you dont know what was done to it, but do you really know that with any used car? ... On Carsoup.com you can buy crashed cars that werent reported to insurance and have clean titles... the only way that shit gets put on the title is if an insurance claim is made and its reported to the state... Any one of you could be driving a car that has been smashed into a wall, and with todays technoology, and for the most part honesty, its not noticable..

Also, my bank when I got my loan said it only depreciates the value by about $1000-2000... Rebuilt title doesnt affect car insurance, or loan rates either... most of you need to know what youre talking about before you type the stupid shit you do... Rebuilt means re-titled... which means its just like any car on the road.... salvage is what most of you are talking about...

Basically what you are going to be getting is a bad ass perfectly fine car at a bad ass price... Go for it... Personally, I like for rebuilt titled cars so I can get them cheaper...

#9 ·
on kbb if you go into the advance settings it has a box for salvage title/rebuilt. I also have a rebuilt title with no problems. The only type of reconstructed title i wouldn't mess with is Fresh Water which is flood damage. The only time you will have a problem with it is when you get done and want to sale it and ppl just like you are wondering if a rebuild title is worth buying. it will save you money now and you can have a sweet ass car.

#10 ·
Yea... Jeremy... the 1st replier to this thread was interested in my car, and then had a spazzoid about it being rebuilt... it doesnt matter... it was probably more heavily inspected to get re-titled then it was first coming off the production line...

#11 ·
There is alot of steps to get a rebuilt title. First the title is salvaged. then you have to fix the car get a state inspection, check make sure the car is road safe and all that good stuff. then you drive it to the state garage, this is where they make sure you used the parts you say its not a chop shop thing all vin number and parts match and you have had the work done right. like said if the car is not a F/W fresh water damage Its not a bad deal. drive it see what you think but don't let the rebuilt title scare you.

#13 ·
Damn great buy. I bought my car wrecked and built if myself that is why I know all the steps first hand. I saved so much money and could built it how i wanted from the begining. I needed a hood bumpe and headlights. This way I got my cf hood xenon kit and black out headlight. For no extra cost.

#14 ·
my very 1st car was an 02 civic lx 2dr automatic...it was a slvg tittle w/ frnt end dmg but the frame was fine. i got it out the auction lot for 3grand and spend 2grand on fixing it...new headlights, bumper support, bumper, radiator, fans. but the hood was fixable. anyway, after the shop fixed it all up, went down to CHP for inspection, got that all taken care of. but the tittle had nothing to do with the insurance rates. and as far as problems, none at all...excpt for slippin tranny, which alot of 01-05 civics have, ask the guys @ 7thgencivic.

#15 ·
My friend had a rebuilt car & it was nothing but problems, not to mention that his frame was still bent after he passed all inspections.

He also had a very, very herd time selling it. I think he ended up selling it to some one who didnt know what a rebuilt title was (the guy came looking for him after)

I would never buy one.

#16 ·
....I wouldn't even look at a car with a salvage title....

#20 ·
:rotfl:
If I had been looking for faster car I wouldn't have bought an rsx...and it damn sure wouldn't have been a wrecked rsx :p

#25 ·
I will park my rsx beside any of your cars, and you would not be able to tell. And do you think any Actual business is going to put a non reliable car on the road to get sued. The Car dealers hell they wont give you but 75% what your car is worth if you just bought it and turned around and took it back. Loans yes they do not give you the whole amount of the NADA book but hell if you are buying a rebuilt title car don't expect to pay the NADA book so how can you bring that into this? People will always have experences NEW, USED, and REBUILT and it is only your opinion on which way you would like to go.

#29 ·
I will park my rsx beside any of your cars, and you would not be able to tell. And do you think any Actual business is going to put a non reliable car on the road to get sued. The Car dealers hell they wont give you but 75% what your car is worth if you just bought it and turned around and took it back. Loans yes they do not give you the whole amount of the NADA book but hell if you are buying a rebuilt title car don't expect to pay the NADA book so how can you bring that into this? People will always have experences NEW, USED, and REBUILT and it is only your opinion on which way you would like to go.
The original question was "How much does rebuilt title effect price?"
I gave 2 relevant example addressing that question head on.

BOTTOM LINE: A car is worth what you are willing to pay for it.

#26 ·
so how much do you think the s2k is worth? kbb says 14Gs in good condition, that doesn't factor in the title

#31 ·
I have been backing up that it is ok to buy a rebuilt car. Nothing wrong with that not so much the price yes it does effect the price and like sdiddy stated it does come down to what you will give for a car. NO do not pay the KBB price but it will not be tremindously far away from that amount.

#33 ·
Look my family has been in the car buisness for ever... rebuilt cars always go at auctions b/c dealers dont want to deal with them most of time. But they sometimes do b/c if they have rebuilt titles already. The only real issue is actually GETTING THEM rebuilt.~!~!~!~ The only thing I can say though is if you buy a rebuilt car it is generally gunna be with you for the long haul b/c people are sooo scared of that word rebuilt!

#35 ·
A used car can be wrecked and not have a rebuilt title. i have wrecked and gotten cars back still having clean titles. That is not the total argument. I mean alot of cars have been fixed due to a bump fender bender. getting keyed. tons of shit come into play. Basically you are gettin a new paint job and new parts if it has been built recently. If you are buying a car not in this topic and the first one to buy it after a rebuilt title has been issued (IN MY STATE) the owner= seller must show pictures and declare what all was done to the car.

#36 · (Edited)
2000 honda s2000, 87K, i went to the bottom and took the quiz with the description of the car and all that was wrong including salvage title and damage but less than 3,000$ IT was in fair condition 12,000$ under a private party sale. with the description was it just salvage do to the airbags and top being cut? but withthe extras younwill need to add a little your call on how much.

#37 ·
In most states, a vehicle with a salvage title means that an insurance company declared the vehicle a total loss, and paid the insured for the loss of their vehicle, not the damage. As far as I know, most insurance companies will declare a damaged vehicle a total loss if the cost of repairs is greater than ~60% of the actual cash value (what a dealer will pay for it).
So if you have a car that's only worth $500, and it get's keyed down the side (probably $300+ to fix properly), that car would most likely be considered a total loss, and thus get a salvage title. (if you accepted the insurance claim) That example is extreme, but I'm sure you get the point.
If you have a S2000 thats worth $14000 to a dealer, and it gets $9000 worth of damage, it may be considered a total loss, and thus get a salvage title. If someone just rear ended a S2000, and ruined the trunk lid, both rear fenders, tail lights, muffler, etc, I would assume that it would cost more than $9000 to buy genuine replacement parts + installation + paint. In this case, it's a good chance that this S2000 would be considered a total loss by the insurance company, thus receiving a salvage title. However, in this example, it's unlikely that the drivability of the car would be affected, and buying this vehicle would not be bad at all.
Also, body shops are businesses, as I'm sure you are all aware, and they do not make any money if an insurance company declares a vehicle a total loss. So they will try to send the insurance company a low ball price quote so that they can earn the approval (and money) from the insurance company to go ahead and fix the vehicle. If they do fix it, this car will still have a clean title.
So, a salvage title does not automatically mean that a particular car is junk, because a car with a clean title could have the same problems / history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.