Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Dunlop Star Specs vs Hankook Rs3

14K views 82 replies 32 participants last post by  azngotmilk 
#1 ·
Have any of you tracked/driven on both of these tires? I am looking for a solid review. Im debating between the 2, so far i have heard the rs3 are better for dry grip. Another thing to think about is the rs3s are 200 dollars less then star specs. Also i will be getting either tire in a 245/40/r17.

If you highly recommend another tires please chime in. Thanks guys

#36 · (Edited)
ive had both SS in 235/40 and rs3 in 245/40 currently. the SS are a bit louder, more responsive and better sidewall. the rs3's pure traction is amazing and a lil bit better but also a tad bit softer sidewall. surprisingly the rs3 grips pretty well in the rain but the SS definitely give you more confidence in the wet. the longevity on the rs3 would probably be the only drawback IMO. very very soft/sticky compound for a street tire. i dunno if it matters to you but the SS are a much more attractive tire, with a lip protector and the rs3 sidewalls are a little on the less aggressive side. SS also run a little wider as the 235/40 SS contact patch were almost identical in width to almost all the other 245/40 tires i had. also the SS are definitely a heavier tire. i duuno if its the compound or just the simple fact that they use more rubber :dontknow:

#38 ·
I have the Star Specs, but in a considerably different size, 225/50R16. This is my second summer on them. I haven't had the opportunity to track my car (02 BASE) but I have no complaints about the grip level in wet or dry, tire wear (still over 70% left and I drove about 7000miles on them ), or noise for a daily driven car.

Only problem I have had with them is that they are a bit slick for my liking in low temps ( anything below 40 degrees F usually) until they get a bit of heat in them; but that is kind of expected with a summer tire.

hope this helps.

#43 ·
I have nitto nt05s and I haven't tried any other tire, but I have a buddy that tracks his evolution, and he has tried them all and swears by star specs and nt05s. He claims nt05s are better on dry, but (I can vouch) are horrible in rain. Also tread wear is horrid.

#47 ·
I ordered my 225 45 17 RS3s in early Jan from TR. They made no promise as to when I would receive them but called me to let me know the situation. They sent subsequent emails letting me know they still didn't have any information. I emailed customer service at Hankook in late Feb. and they told me I should be able to get a ship date by the 1st of March. TR responded right after that telling they could ship on the 5th. I received the tires on the 8th and had them in time for our first event last Sunday. It was a warm sunny day and the RS3s made me glad I waited.

#49 ·
Both are good, I think the RS3 will ultimately have more grip, given the right circumstances. RS3 like a little heat, the Z1 are better colder. If the RS3 are that much cheaper I would get those, no question. I had the RS3 on my RSX, I now have the Z1* on Miata (only good tire in 14" heh) you really can't go wrong with either, pick whatever fits your budget.

#52 ·
I have drove on both (both 255's on 9 in rim ) I prefer the Starspecs. This is why, I think they last longer, Drive way better on wet, slightly less noise. Now the RS3's do grip a bit better in the dry. But for me DD'ing on them I went and continue to go star specs if that helps you at all. I know everything has been covered but i was really kinda upset at how fast the rs3's went.

#56 ·
#73 ·
Somebody said Star Specs are expensive? They are cheap as shit, especially over there. Had Specs on the Snisen in Guam and were my daily and auto-x tire, they were a decent tire, but I missed Yoko Advans. I still dislike that Tire Rack, well Yokohama USA doesn't bring in the size I need, would love to save several hundred $. You guys should not bitch about pricing at all, 4 205/50R16 AD08s cost me approximately $1150, Star Specs in the same size about $100 less.

#74 ·
Street tires for 800 is pretty expensive, let alone 1000. Ive had star specs, pilot super sports, hankook rs3, re-01 and I'll spend a lot on tires but sayin 900-1000 for 4 tires is cheap is just ridiculous because it's pretty expensive, especially when you live in hot weather that lets your tires wear down even faster

#75 ·
^I'll probably go with star specs as my next set of tires. I made a mistake getting the Kumho XS. they grip well, but the sidewalls are so soft and makes the car feel so numb. My last set of tires were NT05's and those were an awesome street tire. The sidewalls were nice and stiff and traction was awesome as well, though I know they don't grip as well as the star specs.

#80 ·
I am on RS-3s now after wearing out a set of Star Specs at autocross events only.
I agree with Mark, on the Star Specs. The specs ran over 130 runs and didn't slow down until the last three runs, about the time they got smooth on the inside, and then they dropped off dramatically. I thought something had broken on the car. I felt I had a distinct advantage when it rained or was cold with them.

I am on the same page with others on the RS-3s, great in warm weather, noticably quicker than the specs when warm and dry, lost 4 seconds on a 50 second course when it started drizzling though.
I felt I lost first place on my last run on a cold day when I spun on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.