Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Feedback and suggestions on new audio setup

4K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  Locotony 
#1 ·
I've owned my 2006 RSX Type S since it was new. In 2007, I upgraded to a double DIN Pioneer navigation unit and Pioneer front speakers. I did just enough research to make a decision at the time.

Now it's 6 years later and I want to upgrade to something more modern. I want to go back to a single DIN headunit, new front speakers and a small amp. My goals are to have excellent Bluetooth functionality for music playback and fairly accurate sound. I play my music at a volume that is not loud enough to drown out the noise of traffic, so loudness is not a priority.

I went to a reputable stereo shop (according to Yelp) and here's what the owner recommended:

- Alpine UTE-42BT headunit
- Alpine KTP-445 mini amp
- 4x Alpine Type S speakers

He quoted $750 installed.

Consensus on these forums is that the rear speakers are not worth upgrading - $100 saved. :)

I also read that bypassing the factory Bose amp is necessary, which makes me curious how the shop that installed the Pioneer nav unit did it. Is it possible to use the Bose subwoofer with aftermarket amps?

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions from those who have more expertise and knowledge than me. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I guess it's not bad at 750, but those aren't products i would install.

The ute 42bt is pretty featureless from an SQ standpoint. Only 3 bands of EQ, no crossovers, no time alignment. Common and nessesary features in any build meant for 100% music listening.

Alpine KTP-445 Mini amp is complete crap. It's a plug-n-play unit, so it makes install a breeze, but it may offer a 10% difference vs the internal amp on the headunit..which should never be used, btw.

Alpine type s speakers may be 20% better than the stock paper cones they'll be replacing. Budget installs are possible if the right items are picked out.

If you do this yourself, you'll save a ton of $$$$.

#4 · (Edited)
I just rode in my friend's S2000 (not a car with an ideal listening environment) with a full JL system and Pioneer headunit and it sounded GREAT. He is able to get 50% off JL stuff so he went nuts.

So here's the set up I think I'm going to go with:
- Pioneer DEH-X6600BT
- JL C2-600x
- JL JX360/2

Is it possible to integrate the Bose sub into this system?

#5 ·
I dont know too much about audio systems but I can say I have the Pioneer DEH-x6400BT and I am satisfied the bluetooth function it has, sounds good. Also gave my stock speakers a pick me up, makes me want louder speakers :)

I am a wiring noob but install of HU was a breeze. My only complaint with a single DIN is the rattle of the metra dash kit after I installed ESMMs. I cant seem to get rid of it. :dontknow:

#7 ·
"Proper" is all in the eye of the beholder. :) What you consider proper may be overkill for my needs. Also, I have plenty saved up I just don't want to exceed a self-imposed budget.

Can you describe the benefits of a Kenwood headunit versus Pioneer?

#18 · (Edited)
A few more questions for you guys:

- What's the hardware that's included with the tweeters and woofers? Are those the crossovers? (Newb question: answer is 'yes' :p)
- Should the tweeters go where the stock tweeters are? (under the dashboard)
- Is the best position for the amp under the passenger seat?

I wish I had consulted you guys for my S2000 setup. :) Thanks again.

#19 ·
tweeters depends on your setup, silk/fabric dome tweets can do decent in the stock location with time alignment, metal domes no way imho as they tend to be harsher to begin with. Best place is usually as close to the midrange as possible.

Amp, depends on the amp if it will fit there over 2 inches in height probably not. up until a few years ago very few newer amps would fit as the height on them was to great, some old school ones would fit but most current amps were all to high, now units like the ppi ion, phantom and black ice units and the Soundstream tarantula and picasso nano's have given a bunch of units that are small, have SQ, and decent prices that will fit.

#21 · (Edited)
So my installer put everything in today and the only issue he ran into is a hissing sound coming from the head unit. At low volume (1-4), I can hear a hiss but as it gets to listening volume, the music completely drowns it out. It seems like it is only come from the rear speakers, which are connected to the head unit. The fronts are connected to the amp.

I found reports of other people having a similar issue. Should I attempt to return it or is there something I can do to minimize or eliminate it?

Edit: I should mention that the installer made sure everything was grounded properly and tried to use a filter. Sonic Electronix has a good return policy so I'm debating whether I should exchange it for an identical unit or try a different brand.

#22 ·
Just kill the rear speakers, they are unnecessary and a detriment to good SQ.

Reason they may be hissing vs the rest of the setup would be the difference in signal levels between the built in amp of the HU vs the Amp driving the comps as external amps via the rcas are going to have a lower s/n ration and noise floor than the ones built into a HU.

#23 ·
Locotony, thanks for the advice. I have an appointment tomorrow to get the rear speakers disconnected.

While I was familiarizing myself with the head unit today, I came across two annoyances. First, I was trying to update the firmware according to Clarion's website. Seems pretty straightforward. The MPEG update worked, but the MCU and BT software update failed. When I loaded the MCU software update, the head unit reset itself after a few minutes. With the BT update, it would get stuck on loading the first file and I would have to reset the head unit to get it working again.

Secondly, according to Clarion's manual (screenshot below), I should set my speakers to 2-way because I have tweeters and front speakers, but no subwoofer. When I choose that setting, sour only comes from the tweeters. But when I choose "Normal", it seems to sound fine.

Has anyone experienced either of these issues before?

#24 ·
That headunit has active crossovers.

So, instead of that little box that came with your speakers, you can set everything internally via the unit.

Leave it as normal since you already have a crossover implemented.

When you control everything electronically as the headunit lets you, it's called "active"

The way you have it setup with the little box, that would be called passive.

#27 ·
How high is the Amp gain, higher the gain is more hiss you may have, also how high can you turn up the HU as if you cannot turn it up to say 2/3 to 3/4 volume w/o distortion then gain would be too high

#28 ·
Thank you for the suggestion!

With the car in accessories mode, I turned the amp gain down as low as it would go and the hiss was barely audible. (I'm sure when I'm driving I won't be able to hear it. I'll confirm later tonight.) The Clarion head unit volume level is from 0-40 and with no music playing, the hiss remained constant from 1-20. It got a bit louder from 20-30, and still a bit louder from 30-40. I think my normal listening volume will fall between 20-30.

#29 ·
Sounds like that shop does not know how to properly set gain.

#34 ·
Thanks! You seem to know a ton about this stuff. I am looking to put together something decent. I like you head-unit suggestion, and my next question would be the speakers

I saw another member mention the JL speakers:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C2600X/JL-Audio-C2-600X.html?tp=95

But then you recommended these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140920791577

Any specific reason why these over the JL's, or other similar speakers? ((I'm looking to run a head-unit like the one you mentioned, upgrade the front speakers, and hoping I can use my old amp instead of buying a new one (its an older Soundstorm 1400w amp. I'll have to dig it out of the basement to give you the specs))).

#36 · (Edited)
Well, for starters, the JL is a coax & the zapco is a complete component set.

Better crossover network, better mid, better tweet.. cheaper.

And they're super shallow

Thanks for the tips eggy, So here would be my potential setup.

Speakers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140920791577

Head Unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CZ702/Clarion-CZ702.html?tp=5684

Amp (this is what I've had from my old car):
Specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/car-amplifiers/sound-storm-force-f700/4507-6726_7-30232700.html
Picture: https://www.google.com/search?q=sou...lpsoundnelectronics%2Fsound_storm.htm;300;173

Opinion on this set-up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.