Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Exhaust Silencer stuck

10K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  park2086 
#1 ·
When I installed my new catback exhaust, I made my father happy and left the Silencer on. Well, about 2 1/2 months later, I can't get the darn Silencer off. I tried making a hook to go into the Silencer and to pull it out that way but that didn't work. Is there any trick to get these things off or have I run with it on for so long its just going to be stuck for awhile?

#9 ·
If not WD40 try liquid wrench or PB blaster. I prefer PB Blaster over liquid wrench I used it to remove the heavily corroded bolts on my cat-back. Works great so try WD-40 and then if doesn't work give this a try.

#17 ·
I got the JDM N1 Catback too. Wal-Mart was closed (I can't belive it wasn't a 24 hours Wal-Mart) I'm going to grab some Wd40 and PB Blaster in the morning. I thought about hitting it with a mallet while I had it hooked to loosen it but I was afriad it you just shove it back farther. Not enough room to use a screw driver either.

Its pretty hot now so going to see if hooking it and getting it wet will loosen it.

#14 ·
if you haven't gotten it out yet try this:
1) wire clothes hanger to make a hook, use pliers and try to wiggle/pull it out (if pliers doesn't fit, gap it w/ a flat head. gently tap the silencer out of place w/ a mallet.
or
2) Gorilla glue it w/ a heavy stick and yank that thing out.

#19 ·
they usually have PB Blaster at auto parts stores like auto zone, advance auto parts etc. and I see it at Lowes also I dunno about Wal-mart give it a try and good luck. But make sure your in an open area it smells and spray it let it sit and sorta soak in then after a few minutes give it a try.

#22 ·
Well you have a picture above lol and if you just go to google images and type in pb blaster you will be slammed with thousands of pictures of the can and yeah best idea is an auto parts store. Just ask them if they have it and where and it's all good from there

#23 ·
^^ who did u order them from, cuz i got mine from trendgear, said they were brand new and got them with nicks and two diff shades of yellow, film was peeling off and was jsut fucked up and he wants me to send them back haha qutie mad icouldnt get them on yet

#31 ·
That's what I had been trying, but it was stuck good.

However, PB Buster fixed that.

I got a can of WD40 and PB Buster, and instead of wasting my time with the WD40, I went straight to use with the PB Buster. I sprayed it a few times on the silencer and let it sit while I put on my new Blacked Out Headlights, but the silencer still wouldn't budge. I used a screw driver and hammer to make small openings so the PB Buster could get deeper and work better, after several times of this, my Screw Driver broke off.

I got a sturdier screw driver and tried again, going all the way around the muffler. About 2 hours of work, the Silencer had gone in an inch further. I figured, heck if it can go in an inch, its got to come out at least an inch. I turned the car on, got the exhaust hot, sprayed the PB Buster again, and hammed away before the fumes got me and I turned the car back off. I tried to put the hook back in and somehow missed and pushed it in another 1/2 inch, once I got it hook, I dug in, pulled for about 30 seconds, and the thing flung out.

Now with the silencer off, the car sounds great and its only a matter of time before I get my first ticket.

The Silencer is pretty badly beat up from all the hammering I did Bryce, so I'm not sure your going to still want it or not.

Thanks for all the help you gave, PB Buster worked great and I'm def going to get another bottle since I don't have much in the one I have for future projects.

#50 ·
HA!:iamwiths:

I just used some needle nose pliers and all 260 pounds of my weight to get that bitch out, made me fall on my ass but I got it. I did find it was easier after I used a rubber mallot to actually push it in a bit farther to loosen it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.