Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Weird grinding/rattling noise during 1st gear

134K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  Alchemist1117 
#1 ·
Hey, just thought I'd ask about this in case anyone had the same problem. During low acceleration in 1st gear, my car makes this metal grinding/rattling noise coming from the front of the car. It only does this when the car is actually in motion and not when I'm just revving the engine at a stop.

#4 ·
I had the same problem, it sounds like a constant clunking but only when driving. When I put the car on a lift and drove it, the problem when away. It turned out being the input shaft bearing in the transmission. You should get it checked out before you have to replace your whole transmission. I waited to long and because of that, there is a big whole in my case and all of the gears are toast.

#5 ·
I dont have a constant clunking but its only a slight metal grind/rattle during the start of 1st gear. Its not causing an issue with the car yet, but I just thought I would ask here before taking it into a shop to look at. By the way, my car only has like 49k miles.

#8 ·
I have a similar problem.

When I put my car in first on a level surface it sounds almost like the clutch rattles for a quick second at very low rpm starts.

It becomes exaggerated more when I turn the wheel and use a low rpm start.

Some days it really gets on my nerves and some I try and ignore it.

I'd also like to get to the bottom of this noise.

#10 ·
noise go away when you press down your clutch pedal?

Mine start out as a little vibration/grind/rattle during the summer time but gotten worst since the cold weather started. It now sound like i have a dog box lol. But it the input or mainshaft bearing for me going to have to replace mine.

#16 ·
Bump.

Has anyone resolved this issue? I just bought mine a few weeks ago and noticed it about a week after. Car has about 100k and is lowered with Koni Shocks.

I only hear it on low RPMs in first and second gear, about 1500-2000, and cruising very slow. At first I thought my wheels were rubbing but no rub marks on my wheel wells. Also, it's only when the clutch is engaged and I'm giving the car gas, when I let off the gas and let the car cruise the noise is gone. And it's not so much as a rattling noise, but more of a rubbing/grinding noise.

Could it be a throw out bearing or input shaft bearing? That seems to be the main problem with this issue as far as I can find at least.

And what he said:

#15 ·
same problem here! on my way to work, i was hearing like knocking noises. At first i thought because i had my window down ,and the air was blowing in my car at 45 mph, i thought it was the passenger seat belt hitting the plastic panel,but it wasn't that.. then i thought, I was draging something under my bumper or some where under my rsx, so I pulled the rsx over! before hitting the freeway, just so i can try to find out what it was, and there was nothing, drove it for 20 minutes hit the fucked up bumps on the freeway...I-15 heading north! by the way, and it stopped.. after my car had hit the bumps.
by the way my car has 80k and is and 06..

#21 ·
Check you oil level. Add a oil if needed. I've had this problem since about 50K to. Service Dept. told me that my clutch was going bad and need a new clutch kit. I took the car home did some research, decided to check the oil and I was 3 qts low. My car is now at 95K and the clutch and tranny is still fine. Acura tech never bothered to check my oil when looking at my car.

If you let it go for while you will eventually notice your oil pressure light flicker on and off with the sound. I knew 10,000 mile oil changes were too good to be true.

I have the exact sound you guys refer too. metal grinding/rattle form the engine bay around 1-3K RPM in first gear, sometimes in second. I usually have to add 1 qt of oil about every 2 weeks to keep the oil level up. Noise is gone after you add oil or after a fresh oil change. Our cars just burn up oil. Most likely we all have bent valves or springs from Vtec-in too much.

#22 ·
I'll have to check my oil but I just changed it 1k miles ago. I have 113,000 miles on mine and my rsx has never burned oil. I've also done oil changes every 3k miles. Now I usually use Castrol GTX high mileage 5w-20 (I have a 5spd) however my last change I had to use regular GTX. Do you think that could have had an influence?

#26 ·
anyone ever figure this one out? my rsx-s just started making this exact same noise. Really hoping that i dont have to get somethign fixed in the tranny. seriously can't afford that right now.

#27 ·
Mine made the noise for only a few days and did it randomly. Sometimes at start up right after it starts and the rpm's drop and when gently starting to accelerate in 1st gear. Since I first heard it I've changed my oil, had clutch and trans checked no issues and I haven't heard it since.

#28 ·
holy crap.....2 quarts low, added it, and now purrs like a kitten again! So, anyone that hears a funny noise like this, CHECK OIL IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

#31 ·
Reviving from the dead! Anyone ever try fixing the input bearing? My vehicle makes that rattle at low rpm after being driven for a while. The other day I drove about 55miles on the interstate for an interview, once I got to the parking lot and drove slowly looking for a spot to park she was rattling really loud. Super embarrassing and shitty. Only when I'm at a crawling pace like looking for a parking spot, can't figure this shit out :confused:

#32 ·
Wheel bearings and axle mine is going through that right now basically started with just first gear.only on take off then I got to when I let off of first gear to a slow. Then second gear is doing the same. My buddy sais it's wheel bearing and ill be getting mine done soon so ill keep you posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.