Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

RSX Base oil filter location

17K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  l e o h j 
#1 ·
Where exactly is the oil filter located on the car? Is it easier to remove it when underneath the car or above the car?

Do you need to use a filter removal tool to get it off?:confused:

#8 ·
Are you all driving Base or Type-S models? My sister just got home and I took a peek under the hood and I found the oil filter easily. I just reached in from the passenger side fender between the engine and firewall. And my forearms outrageously skinny either...

As for loosening it, I'm didn't touch it because it was too hot lol. However, the filter I bought for after I put the new oil in is a "Fram SureGrip" and has a rough sandpaper-like texture on the top of the filter for easy removal.

it doesn't matter what model, they have the same engine layout. you might be able to touch it from the top of the engine bay, but I've never been able to loosen it that way.

#7 ·
Are you all driving Base or Type-S models? My sister just got home and I took a peek under the hood and I found the oil filter easily. I just reached in from the passenger side fender between the engine and firewall. And my forearms outrageously skinny either...

As for loosening it, I'm didn't touch it because it was too hot lol. However, the filter I bought for after I put the new oil in is a "Fram SureGrip" and has a rough sandpaper-like texture on the top of the filter for easy removal.

#11 ·
Mobil1 or STP oil filters ftw. Fram really doesn't make very good filters. If you want some good information about oil and filters, et cetera, go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com. Lots of great reviews and information.

If you get a filter cap tool... make sure you get a metal one. Wal*Mart sells plastic ones that will work great until you actually need some force to get it off. Usually this means you've over-tightened the filter after the previous oil change... but I've had it happen even when I didn't man-handle it. So... always a good idea to have one around.

#13 ·
I dunno about easily ...but I guess I have rather large forearms. I usually have to remove the bracket that sits over the spark plug cover, and ever then it's a tight squeeze. I usually find it easiest to do it from under the car... just provides the best room for me :dontknow:

#15 ·
loosen lugs on RF wheel. jack up car on RF side. remove RF wheel and put aside. reach in wheel well through engine compartment, there's your oil filter. reach in and down. before loosening, place some shop rags on your lower control arm, some oil will run out of the filter as you're unscrewing it. rags will catch the oil that would otherwise flood your lower control arm. i use OEM Honda filters. i've seen a comparison of oil filters, and stocks are the best. lube the new filter o-ring and install. now you can drain the oil from the pan comfortably with the car off the ground. well, this is how i do it, and it seems to take 15 mins to do it. filter, drain, new crush washer for drain plug! NEW CRUSH WASHER FOR DRAIN PLUG! tighten, inspect work , don't forget the rags on the control arm. install wheel, hand tight lugs, lower car, torque lugs. and you are done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.