Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY: SRS Codes and reading them.

301K views 94 replies 67 participants last post by  turbo sol 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, so I had an issue with SRS the light being on and couldn't find exact info anywhere. After finding it all from multiple places, I thought I'd compile it into a single post to help others out.

1st:: Try to reset your light, it may take 3-4 tries or more if your timing is off.
KSMatic - DIY: Reset SRS Light

IF Your light blinks 2x and comes right back on, here's how to pull the codes.

Step 1: Make sure the key is not in the ignition and then get a paperclip and fold it into a U shape

Step 2: Plug it into ODBII Service Port 4 and Port 9

(above images courtesy of k-series.com)

Step 3: Insert key and turn the ignition to Position II

Step 4: Watch the SRS and write down the codes. It will stay on for 6 seconds, then go off and the codes will then follow.

HOW TO READ CODES
SRS Codes consist of a main code, and a sub-code.
EXAMPLE: 21-1:: 21 is the main code, 1 is the subcode

Here are all the possible codes

Here's a video of codes I was getting so that you can get an idea of how to read them better. I had three codes in this video.
VIDEO
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1027090455763232641

CODES
15-1:: Faulty OPDS unit or OPDS unit not initialized
22-1:: Open or increased resistance in passenger's seat belt buckle tensioner
12-1:: Open or increased resistance in front passenger's side airbag inflator

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
yea thats what i got... i dunno how the hell i got those... what could cause that.... anyone else got codes like this?

also i know in the past i leak water down the b pillar, to the right rear of the pass seat... could this cause anything... i dont know if it still leaks... (guessing from roof drainage tube)

#11 ·
i wonder if this process work's with a 2002 civic ex sedan? lmk anyone? thanks!

#74 ·
I'm new to this thing, so correct me if I'm wrong. With code 15-1, it should be the OPDS unit, but with 15-3 it might be the OPDS sensor. At first I thought they were the same thing until I came across this article:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/insi...ut-fooling-opds-thread-aftermarket-seats.html

It seems like the sensors are on the seat itself and the unit is on the side, check it here and search for opds and you will find two parts:
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray...tcgry5=FRONT+SEAT+(R.)&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

#15 · (Edited)
code600= after watching your video i counted the flashes, 10 long flashes and 1 quick one. According to the chart that was posted 10-1 means Seatbelt and seatbel buckle tensioners (and airbag(s)) deployed...

if i understand correctly that means that one or all of those airbags have been deployed before. have you been in an accident? or did you buy it this way..

btw, i'm just taking a guess i'm no expert ;)

#49 ·
yes! to me as well. I was driving home one night and it the side airbag light switched on. usually it turns off after a couple of seconds.
but this time it had stayed on. Not the best way to go about it butt I would hit the edge of the seat and it would turn off.....then back on...until I got lazy and gave up. It turned off on it's own...haha...but why do they turn on in the first place.
I was under the impression they are activated by weight.

#18 ·
I orginally did the srs light reset. And it worked. For like 2 weeks. My srs light just came back on today, i had no luck reseting it. I pulled the codes.

My light flashed once, and than 9 times
and than
My light flashed 3 times fast, and 9 slow times.

Thats all it did. What codes are these 9-1 and 9-3??

I mean my car has never been in an accident, and ive never changed the seats of taken them out or anything. Someone helo me out please!

#21 ·
Excellent post, just fantastic....

Now how do we FIX our codes? Haha, I mean this REALLY is one of the better DIY threads; however, it leaves most of us with a "now what?" attitude.

I pulled 22-1 which is open/resistance to passenger seat belt. Car has been in an accident, but thank God that's the only code I saw pull through so kind of a relief no airbags appear to have been deployed, ha.

Anyway, yeah now what...

#26 ·
Now how do we FIX our codes? Haha, I mean this REALLY is one of the better DIY threads; however, it leaves most of us with a "now what?" attitude.
There are soooo many possible codes that i doubt one, or 10 threads could help everyone.
This thread is very nice, tells u how to get the code, and what they mean.
From there, you should get a service manual. They aren't that expensive, and some people find them for free :shady::shady:.

rsxstudlydude said:
ok...im quite noob on this issue but i recently remove my seats to install the jdm carpet on my 06 rsx and now the airbag light is on, what's the deal? do i need to reset it or is it possibly i miss a connection somewhere underneath the seats?
try the resetting procedure. fixed mine after seats were our

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.