Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Low Beam Fuse For 2003 RSX

10K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  kawi_200 
#1 ·
Hi All,

The low beam/fog lights on my '03 RSX aren't working. They weren't when I bought the car a few weeks ago... knew it was something I would fix later. The headlights are the original factory ones, and the main headlights work fine. Haven't tried the high beams.

Would any of you know which fuse #s control the low beam lights, and which fuse box it would be in (under dash, under hood)?

Forgive me if this question has been answered previously. My car repair knowledge is minimal, but I'm not afraid to get in there and look if I know what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Bulb Controls Low And Regular Headlight Beam?

Hi All,

Update to my troubleshooting. I've confirmed that the high beam works. So now my real question is, does the bulb for the main headlight have different 'parts' for the low beam and main beams? That is, could it be possible that the main headlight part of the bulb be working fine, but the low beam part be blown? Hope I'm making sense.

#3 ·
Confused.

You originally stated "the main headlights work fine. Haven't tried the high beams."
Then you updated with "I've confirmed that the high beam works."
What is the problem you are experiencing?

The low beam, outer light towards the fender, is a single filament H1 that is on when you turn on the headlights and stays lit when you turn on the high beams. The high beam, inner light towards the middle of the front end, only comes on when the high beam is activated. You should hear a relay click when turning on the low beams.

#4 ·
Sorry for the confusion. At the time I made the post, I hadn't tried the hi-beams yet. I know this is sorta irrelevant, as the hi-beams are are different lights than the low/regular lights.

The problem I 'm having, is when I turn on the low beams, they don't come on. When I turn the knob and turn on the regular beams, they DO come on.

When I had my previous car, which was an '05 RSX, lights in both the front and back would 'flicker' when I armed and disarmed the car alarm. In my current car, only the back lights flicker when I arm/disarm the alarm. Don't know if this is related to the issue... just wanted to mention it.

#7 ·
Ok, stop confusing the situation with "when I turn on the low beams, they don't come on. When I turn the knob and turn on the regular beams, they DO come on."

There are low beam and high beam modes. Adding regular or main to the description doesn't help.

From your pictures, the first shows the low beam is on. The second shows neither low nor high beam is on. Is your switch in the high beam mode in the second picture (neither lit)?

#8 · (Edited)
There are 4 modes for the headlights

1) Off
2) Parking/Driving lights - the little ones in the upper outside corner of the headlights. They are amber 194 bulbs in the clear/white refractor
3) low beam - the main headlight for all night time driving as shown in your first picture
4) high beam - ...... who doesn't know what a high beam is? It is the large light on the inside of the housing.

Which option are you having trouble with? I am thinking you are talking about option 2, the driving lights mode?

#9 ·
P.S. The fuses for the headlights are in the engine bay behind the battery. Turn the cover over and find where the low beam fuses are. I think there is one for the left and one for the right.

#10 ·
@Perfectionist - Sorry for the confusion. As I said, I bought the car used. Unfortunately it didn't have the owner's manual, so I had to download one. Was using the wrong terminology and confusing everyone.
@kawi_200 - Thanks for the great explanation.

Here's what I have:

Low beam = both work
High beam = both work
Parking/driving lights = both do NOT work.

So I'm guessing it's either both fuses or both bulbs are out. I see where the headlight fuses are... I just need to find out if/where the one for the parking/driving lights is.

#11 ·
Have you tried new or different bulbs yet? The rear license plate light is the same bulb type. If they work you can try putting it upfront and see if it is bulb or fuse. And vice versa, put the front bulbs in the working rear and see if the bulbs are just burnt out. Bulbs are super cheap anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge waste to just get new ones either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.