P0122 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > ECU Tuning
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-12-2004, 01:54 AM   #1
i VieTEC
Master Member

i VieTEC is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
P0122

I was driving on the freeway and I turned on cruise control, all of a sudden I got a CEL/MIL

Code: 7-1
DTC: P0122
Description: TPS Low Voltage

My idle is now at around a constance 1000rpm and would NOT go back down to 850rpm set by K-Pro. The car still runs smooth without any other problems. I just switched from stock spark plugs to Denso IK24 about a week ago. I put on a new drive belt yesterday because the last one got shredded. I don't think this is the cause but just taking a step back in time to retrace my modding path.

TPS % is supposed to increase as you step on the accelerator correct? At no throttle it's suppose to be at 0%? At no throttle my TPS% is -10%. When I step on the gas the car revs up and rpm climbs but the TPS% reading is still -10%. It is stuck there

Last edited by i VieTEC; 07-12-2004 at 10:57 AM.
i VieTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
i VieTEC
Master Member

Help!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:25 AM   #3
i VieTEC
Master Member

Can anyone help me out?

Would the car go into "safe mode" if the MIL is on for a long period of time? Would it be harmful to the engine since I'm boosted?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:42 AM   #4
conradb212
ECU Tuner

conradb212 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Do you have a Helm Service Manual? There is a lenghty 14-step procedure to test the TPS sensor. If you have the manual and a voltmeter you can check the sensor yourself. If not, I'd have it checked. The ECU relies on the TPS sensor for a lot of stuff, so not having that input could be bad.
Mods: Stage 3 Comptech SC, AEM CAI, Comptech street header, stock cat, modified stock injectors, Hondata K-Pro, Hondata IMG, Fujitsubo PG catback, cat, 225/45-17 Falken Azenis RT-615 on Kazera rims, Mugen SS, Quaife LSD, CT lightweight flywheel and street clutch, ACT heavy-duty pressure plate, CT rear sway/tie bar and titanium front strut brace, Type-R replica wing, CT short shifter, Auto Meter Sport Comp full-sweep boost gauge. Current results: 290 whp on DynaPack. Web: My RSX and K-Pro page. My Blog: ECU Tuning
conradb212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 12:51 AM   #5
i VieTEC
Master Member

Yes I see the 14 steps procedure on page 11-68 to 11-70. According to step 8 and 9 I need a new TB. I have a supercharger on my base rsx. I want to take the car into the dealer to see if they would cover it under warrantee. Everything was running perfect and then out of nowhere this happened. So I don't think it's because of my mods. I also have to go to Jackson Racing this thursday. Very busy schedule with alot of driving so I'm very stressed and nervous right now.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
Boost Junkie
Test Pilot

Boost Junkie is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Check your wiring. There have been some customers who had the tps sensor unplugged by accident or it came loose because it was not plugged back in all the way. Also check to make sure you have no shorts or opens in the tps line going to the ecu.

The reason I say try all this is because the TPS is part of the throttle body and is not sold separately. It is a high-ticket item.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
i VieTEC
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Junkie
Check your wiring. There have been some customers who had the tps sensor unplugged by accident or it came loose because it was not plugged back in all the way. Also check to make sure you have no shorts or opens in the tps line going to the ecu.

The reason I say try all this is because the TPS is part of the throttle body and is not sold separately. It is a high-ticket item.
Connector is fully plugged and has always been. I will check the wiring. Yes if all else fails this can get very expensive
Old 07-13-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
alphaSSmale
7 pounds

alphaSSmale has disabled reputation
you shouldnt need a new TB because of a bad TPS. that is a seperate sensor that screws onto the TB.
ES MM Inserts
Revo Gen2
CRSX Springs
Hayame Exhaust
Jackson Racing Race Header w/ Highflow Cat
JRSC/Race Edition @ 7PSI
-------------------------------------------
Kill List: IS300|CivicSI|300ZX|350Z|G35|Jetta GTI|
Integra GSR|Prelude|C230 Kompressor|Camaro Z28|
Porsche Cayenne S | MB CL500 |
alphaSSmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #9
JMBare
I love Audi Junkie!!!

JMBare is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Junkie

However, if you do end up having to replace the TPS, it is really not that difficult, the shear bolts, can be notched with a dremel, and them removed with a flathead screwdriver.. I have done it several times and can help you if you need...

It is possible that you may have bumped the TPS, during the S/C install, and caused it to come misaligned; this would reflect the weird voltage readings. I have seen this before..

Also, it is improbable, but possible, that you actually broke one of the shear bolts, during the install, and the tps has worked itself away from the Throttle body, allowing it to become unsprung.

When a tps is installed, there is a certain amount of preload to the sensor. if any part of the sensor is broken internally, it will no longer follow the pin which sticks out of the throttle body that turns the dial on the TPS...

The easiest way to determine this, is to turn the ignition on, get a multimeter and see if you get any sort of voltage change, when you open and close the throttle, if not, this is probably the problem...

Please keep us updated on this one...

-JMS

Last edited by JMBare; 07-13-2004 at 07:42 PM.
JMBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #10
i VieTEC
Master Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. The TPS is on there very securely. No sign of drama or damage physically. My TB was rotated 180 degrees and mounted on the JRSC. This is how you fit a base rsx TB onto a Type S JRSC blower. I will check all the voltage again this weekend. I am trying to contact the guy who installed it but have not gotten a hold of him. Jackson Racing has also agreed to take a look at my TPS while my car is at their facility to fix the belt jumping problems that many JRSC RSX are experiencing. Hopefully everything will be ok soon. If the TPS is indeed broken. Can I buy the TPS without buying the whole TB? Someone mentioned that it was not sold separately. Thanks JMS.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:57 AM   #11
i VieTEC
Master Member

Notice TPS%
CAM and CAMCMD don't change...always at 0. Is this bad? I need to get this fixed asap
BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by i VieTEC; 07-14-2004 at 03:09 AM.