multiplex Control Unit - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL > Problems & Solutions
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
coffeeman

multiplex Control Unit

Long time reader and first time post.

So after hours of reading and weekends tracking down electrical problems, i have come to the conclusion that i need a new Multiplex Control Unit.

SO...without spending $300.00 at the dealer, where can i get one.
Secondly, what does this part look like?
Thirdly, If i go to the junk yard or buy a "Fuse Box" off of ebay (Ebay Link) will this contain the MCU?

Are the fuse-box and MCU different?

If you cant tell im a cheap-o and want to do it Myself

PS: here is the exact part number 38800-S0K-A02 (but cant find it online)

-Alex
coffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
2010 admin
Administrator

2010 admin has disabled reputation
Is "S0K" a part group number for the DC5? It's usually S6M or XM5 (transmission).

Also, what makes you think the multiplexer needs replacing? How exactly have you diagnosed this? Scan tool or just guessing? I'm not giving you a hard time, jut trying to get some insight into your issue. We've all wasted money of varying amounts trying to chase down electrical gremlins.
2010 admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
coffeeman

Well id rather not get into a whole long version of re-hashing whats wrong but here's the short version.

Changed out my dome light which was blowing a fuse all the time. Got a new assembly, which worked till i put in a larger (physical size) LED bulb which would short-out when i would go over large bumps (the actual positive Pin would touch the metal roof of the car)

After about 10 tries (aka #3 fuse blown under hood) with getting this to work (would work fine till i pressed hard on the bulb) i decided to just go back to the old bulb, now the automatic door position doesn't work....along with no auto hatch light, no "one push" automatic window, no auto turn on lights when locking the door.....few other small electrical problems.

ALL lights DO work in manual mode. After reading and researching im 99% sure its the MCU. So much for that "short version".

Point being, im unsure where to get (other then dealer) a MCU. I got that part number from another RSX thread but now im wondering because your right. Club RSX Thread

Orginal question still stands

Last edited by coffeeman; 07-11-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
MELLO
Got Polish?

that part # pulls up a multi plex controll unit for a tl

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...1=&inputstate=
MANual Power Steering Krew #1

Speedlab.net for all your tuning needs!

MELLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
coffeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLO View Post
that part # pulls up a multi plex controll unit for a tl

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...1=&inputstate=
Exactly, Which is why i now agree with you. I was mislead by the RSX fourm post and just overlooked the Model part on the chart

Orginal question still stands
Old 07-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
MELLO
Got Polish?

I think you need to start off descibing your problem(s) throughly so somebody can make a educated guess on what your problem could be.
MANual Power Steering Krew #1

Speedlab.net for all your tuning needs!

MELLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
coffeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLO View Post
I think you need to start off descibing your problem(s) throughly so somebody can make a educated guess on what your problem could be.
I understand the need to know the full background, i really do.

Iv taken this to the dealer and know its the MCU. They already tested it in mode 1 and mode 2...each throwing out error codes (in the form of the dome light blinking). I just don't want to pay $300.00 for the part.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:09 AM   #8
Orange MSP

Mine was bad too. My problems included: the dash brake light staying on even with the e-brake released and the brakes are fine, power locks and keyless entry stopped working, door chime just stopped sounding. All the fuses and relays were good, so it pointed the the Multiplex unit that's built into the under dash fuse box. I have an '02 and swapped an '03 one in.

Last edited by Orange MSP; 07-31-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Orange MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
coffeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange MSP View Post
Mine was bad too. My problems included: the dash brake light staying on even with the e-brake released and the brakes are fine, power locks and keyless entry stopped working, door chime just stopped sounding. All the fuses and relays were good, so it pointed the the Multiplex unit that's built into the under dash fuse box. I have an '02 and swapped an '03 one in.
Thanks so much for the honest response. Yep, this fixed my issues to. For others who took the time to read the thread and are looking for answers

THe multiplex is the same as the whole fusebox. It cost me about 50 bucks at a junkyard. Also dont worry about labeling any of the 20something plugs, there all unique. Took about 15-20min to install.

SUPER Easy fix
Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Azagarov

MCU and AC

I have the same problems that were described above - No keyless entry, Break light sits on, and inside lights and door chime dont work. I am confident its also the MCU.

My question is: Could the MCU also be the problem for the AC not working. I have the service manual for the car, and in the electrical wiring diagram, the MCU comes before the AC pressure valve. So i am trying to figure out if that could be why the valve shuts off the hole AC system. None of the fans turn on and i checked all fuses. When I take out the relays and provide direct power to the compressor it works fine.

Please help if you can
Azagarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
coffeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azagarov View Post
I have the same problems that were described above - No keyless entry, Break light sits on, and inside lights and door chime dont work. I am confident its also the MCU.

My question is: Could the MCU also be the problem for the AC not working. I have the service manual for the car, and in the electrical wiring diagram, the MCU comes before the AC pressure valve. So i am trying to figure out if that could be why the valve shuts off the hole AC system. None of the fans turn on and i checked all fuses. When I take out the relays and provide direct power to the compressor it works fine.

Please help if you can
Im not sure about the AC unit, although like you said, it DOES go through there so its quite possible considering you have other electrical problems.

Secondly, what caused the MCU to malfunction. With me, i was carelessly blowing fuse after fuse....sooner or later the MCU just decided to stop doing its job.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
inmydream316
Kevin★05 DC5-S

MCU is mad expensive
Visit my blog for DC5
inmydream316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
coffeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmydream316 View Post
MCU is mad expensive
I bought mine from the junkyard for $50.00. Also if you check online at ebay (acura fusebox) there running from $50 to $80.

Seriously tho....three posts above, shows evidence against your claim. Also, just telling someone that a part is expensive doesn't help AT ALL.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
inmydream316
Kevin★05 DC5-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
I bought mine from the junkyard for $50.00. Also if you check online at ebay (acura fusebox) there running from $50 to $80.

Seriously tho....three posts above, shows evidence against your claim. Also, just telling someone that a part is expensive doesn't help AT ALL.
ok ok ok ok ok ok ok
Visit my blog for DC5
inmydream316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #15
coffeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmydream316 View Post
ok ok ok ok ok ok ok
It is an easy fix, if i can do it then by all means anyone can. I suggest if your having AC problems id go for it.

After all, start cheap and work your way up. You might just get lucky
Old 09-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
geff801

Unhappy

Hi Coffeeman,
I have been reading your posts and they have been very helpful. It appears that I have similar problems with my 2001 honda civic. You had mentioned that the multiplex unit is the same as the fuse box, is that the interior/Dash fuse box you are talking about because honda civics have two (one under the hood and the other in the dash)? And does it matter whether I get a multiplexer from '02 or '03? Thanks in advance. I am just very frustrated.
geff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
geff801

I am about to order one from ebay and possibly bring it to a small local repair shop and ask them to istall it for me for small fee. Do you think this fusebox will work with my car? Any help/ suggestion will be appreciated!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...item5192168947
geff801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
Orange MSP

the multiplex unit is the one under the dash. just makes sure the part #s match up for all the different years to your car year and if its the same itll work. just call your local honda dealer to do the research or look online dealer parts depts.

Last edited by Orange MSP; 09-10-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Orange MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
a_laksmana

38200-S6M-A11 for 2002-2004 RSX
a_laksmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #20
SER2149314

Can you use a MT base one ?
SER2149314 is offline   Reply With Quote