"Recommended flywheel upgrade for Type S" if using Exedy Organic? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > Transmission & Drive Train
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Rich02RsxS

"Recommended flywheel upgrade for Type S" if using Exedy Organic?

Well, my question is basically this: how necessary is it to change the flywheel if I want to install an Exedy Organic Clutch on my N/A 02 Type S with all of the basic bolt-ons and Stage 1 Cams? I'm planning on getting the Organic Clutch because of the torque capacity increase over the regular OE replacement, however, I'm not sure about what the real risks would be if I were to not change the flywheel also? Any advice?
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
90CRXsi
^^^^^ fun in a box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich02RsxS View Post
Well, my question is basically this: how necessary is it to change the flywheel if I want to install an Exedy Organic Clutch on my N/A 02 Type S with all of the basic bolt-ons and Stage 1 Cams? I'm planning on getting the Organic Clutch because of the torque capacity increase over the regular OE replacement, however, I'm not sure about what the real risks would be if I were to not change the flywheel also? Any advice?
im no expert... but you dont NEED to upgrade the flywheel. your type s one should be fine. Some people will upgrade to a lightweight one so they can rev up faster, but then your revs will also drop faster from my understanding. if your main concern is just replacing the clutch to handle the upgraded power from your bolt ons and cams, then the clutch should be fine. Another option you could consider instead of getting a new aftermarket flywheel would be to just resurface your type s one.
90CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
2010 admin
Administrator

2010 admin has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90CRXsi View Post
im no expert... but you dont NEED to upgrade the flywheel. your type s one should be fine. Some people will upgrade to a lightweight one so they can rev up faster, but then your revs will also drop faster from my understanding. if your main concern is just replacing the clutch to handle the upgraded power from your bolt ons and cams, then the clutch should be fine. Another option you could consider instead of getting a new aftermarket flywheel would be to just resurface your type s one.
Agreed with all the above ^^^^.
2010 admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Rich02RsxS

Thanks for the peace of mind, guys. I've also heard of lightweight flywheels not being so great for a daily driver because of the way that the rev-matching and all of that changes. I'll just have the flywheel resurfaced.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
pongoro87
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for the peace of mind, guys. I've also heard of lightweight flywheels not being so great for a daily driver because of the way that the rev-matching and all of that changes. I'll just have the flywheel resurfaced.
I agree with that ( 8lb flywheel user here).... especially if you are in Zombie mode (mornings & afternoons coming back from work).... but once you get used to it... it isn't that bad.... you just gotta shift faster and being more aware on how much gas to give, as well as how fast you let the clutch out....
pongoro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
stwatson
Meth Blow Speed = my life

Had a lightweight flywheel ... hated it...

back to OEM.
13.0 @ 113mph (Traction is not my friend)
stwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
2010 admin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson View Post
Had a lightweight flywheel ... hated it...

back to OEM.
I've had lightweight flywheels in my car two times now.

Each time, I tell myself, "You'll like it, everyone has one".

And each time, I hate it.

Next time I have the tranny out, I'm putting the iron flywheel back in.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
LimaRSX
#selfie

LimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to rep
LimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to repLimaRSX is easy..................when it comes to rep
If you want a lighter flywheel the Type-R or CC 11.5 lb is the lightest I would go.

But for a DD I would probably just stay stock as it is more enjoyable.

I am not experienced with flywheels so don't quote me on this but from what I have been told and read about when I was looking into doing it, the k series don't really like anything lighter than 11-12lbs.

Fuck this fucking build crew
IG: LimaRSX

HotAvy&SigKrew
LimaRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
plAythiNG

more talk please!

Im going to be upgrading my drivetrain sometime in the next 18th months.

Just purchased a Wavetrac LSD. looking at teh ep3r/dc5r(jdm)/fn2r flywheel for my aftermarlet drivetrain setup.

Instagram: ahoyhoy88
plAythiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
2010 admin
Administrator

More talk?

Flywheel weight is a strictly personal choice. What is acceptable to me may not be to your taste, and different for a third person's. "Talking" about it is not the same as driving a car with it. Read my earlier post. The internet said, "Ohhhh, you will love it, the car will be perfect", and I hated it both times.

If it is possible to find a local owners who has a car with a lightweight flywheel, see if they will let you drive it. That's the only way to know.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Rich02RsxS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90CRXsi View Post
What if I can't resurface the flywheel because the mechanic I have doing the job is supposed to do it on Sunday and all of the machine shops around are closed that day?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
90CRXsi
^^^^^ fun in a box

Quote:
What if I can't resurface the flywheel because the mechanic I have doing the job is supposed to do it on Sunday and all of the machine shops around are closed that day?
if you can work fast enough maybe try buying an already resurfaced flywheel of craigslist or something and then go and sell yours. or just skip this all together. resurfacing isn't a 100% must. Again i'm no expert but from what i understand what i have said is true.
90CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
Wek Sos
Super Master Member

lightweight=racecar status. but no really i have one and they are annoying. nothing you can't get use to but at the same time they are annoying
Wek Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
pongoro87
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wek Sos View Post
lightweight=racecar status. but no really i have one and they are annoying. nothing you can't get use to but at the same time they are annoying
That's the best description for it
pongoro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #15
SkylineTT7
OMG DC5

im running a 8lb and i love it...just gotta rev around 2k from a stop thats all
Done
Accelerating
- My Show-Off Thread: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=689498
SkylineTT7 is offline   Reply With Quote