Austin Cooper K20A2 Swap - Page 15 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > K-Series Swaps
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #351
TheMagicalBra
Banned

TheMagicalBra is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
thats bad as fuck. ridiculous amount of room you get in a cooper lol
TheMagicalBra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #352
Drewski's
beersnob

Drewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the top
Drewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the top
Holly hell!!!! Awesome work!
All Motor Crew Member #18
I touch myself at night when my parents go to sleep.
Drewski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #353
SA_DC5_NW
How You DOOIN

SA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxSA_DC5_NW is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
ow man i went through every page this is so sick, post a video plz....
SA_DC5_NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #354
2001GTTT
black and yellow ;)

2001GTTT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx2001GTTT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx2001GTTT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx2001GTTT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx2001GTTT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx2001GTTT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx2001GTTT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx2001GTTT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
that is so badass, I followed this since day 1, simply amazing.
why the fuck would you ever mix Honda and Ford, thats like calling a black man a ni**er and not expecting him to beat the shit out of you. WTF!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCreep View Post
Present it in my mouth.
HighFivePittsburgh - Like it on FB!
2001GTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #355
Conan O'Brien

Conan O'Brien is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
love the build. job well done. curious: i'm 6'2". could i fit comfortably into a late model mini? i fit just fine in the S2000.
2003 Acura RSX- RIP
Conan O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #356
cptkirk
Scotty we need more POWER

cptkirk is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_DC5_NW View Post
ow man i went through every page this is so sick, post a video plz....
Go to Youtube and search - "cpt. kirks mini jrsc" and all my vids will come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTTT View Post
that is so badass, I followed this since day 1, simply amazing.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan O'Brien View Post
love the build. job well done. curious: i'm 6'2". could i fit comfortably into a late model mini? i fit just fine in the S2000.
If by later model you still mean the same shape as mine then the shell didnt really change through its development and years of production. I am 5'11" and fit just fine, with a helmet on I still dont hit the roll cage and there is a bar running straight over my head, admittedly my seat is a whole lot closer to the floor than in a standard car and can go lower still if needed.
cptkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #357
cptkirk

I decided to ditch my Acetal thermal gasket as I was concerned about heatsoak when shutting down a hot engine after being on track so I looked deeper into plastics and their respective thermal properties and have decided to use Polytetraflouroethylene (PTFE) as it has amzing heat resistant properties, its good from -260 to +260 Deg C (-436degF to + 500degF) and is readily available in sheet form of many thicknesses.

I am going to stick with the Acetal between the charger/aftercooler and the aftercooler/manifold.

The PTFE is also much easier to work with if you have limited resources, again I produced the part with a pillar drill, a 4mm drill for chain drilling, a 12mm drill for the top of the ports and then also for smoothing the ports and finally a 9mm drill for the bolt holes. Be warned if using a hand drill the material will pull you into it as it is quite soft material.

Unfortunately the only photo I took so far is with the OEM gasket on it being used as a template.

And I my K24 CP (6.37") in the post on Monday (thanks E.):

Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #358
cptkirk

ALSO POSTED IN SUPERCHARGED SECTION

Some more done over the weekend:

1) Crank Pulley replaced.

Before I put the new pulley on I decided to weigh it, more out of curiosity thatn anything else and the results were really quite surprising. Below is a photo of the two next to one another and then them seperately on the scales.

K20 original:

K24 6.37":

Yes thats right, 20g's lighter and considerably bigger.

2) Snout Clamp

I offered up a paper template of the latest and simplest design, pretty close, just a couple of mm adjustment and we are there.

3) Thermal Gasket

I got a better photo of the new PTFE Thermal Gasket when I pulled the charger off the motor again.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #359
Drewski's
beersnob

Drewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the top
Drewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the topDrewski's is not even half way to the top
Custome fab work at its finest!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #360
Timtamtt

Timtamtt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTimtamtt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTimtamtt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTimtamtt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTimtamtt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTimtamtt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTimtamtt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxTimtamtt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just went through the whole build, this is one sick car!!
POST UP RSX (Hellaflush...rims...body...)
Timtamtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #361
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

Bflaker is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Looking good. Keep us updated.
Bflaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #362
cptkirk

ALSO POSTED IN SUPERCHARGING SECTION:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson View Post
Those belts are REALLY close to each other....better hope that measurement is dead on...

Im also really excited to see how that new thermal gasket works. I have a feeling the Hondata gasket I have does little to nothing.
I double checked the dims and fixed the model, always good to have another pairs of eyes look at something for you.

The cover over the grooved odler is to protect my fuel line that comes in that side of the fuel rail.

Latest screen shot:

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #363
Drewski's
beersnob

Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #364
cptkirk

PRE RAD IS FIXED IN PLACE

I got my pre rad fully fitted into place on saturday, proper chuffed with it, I even got the grille back on and it only fouls a tiny amount, not that anyone would ever notice, unfortunately I dint get any with the grille on but I will in the near future.

I am going to see what the engine temps are like before I decide if I need anymore cool air ducting past the pre rad into the engine rad.

I ended up with the pre rad upside down to its normal usage position, this might sound odd but it has worked out for the best as its drainage plug is now a bleed screw, perfectly placed to get rid of any air in the system at the top on the drivers side of the rad. By jacking the beast up on the drivers side whilst bleeding out the air will totally get rid of any air in the rad.

I havent got it piped yet as I was waiting til I put the engine back in so I have it on ramps to fit the pipework.

A few photos of it installed:

Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #365
Drewski's
beersnob

Looks good and if it works, fuck it.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #366
cptkirk

Snout Clamp/Support Complete

Posted in SC section also.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Kirk Out......

Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #367
Drewski's
beersnob

Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #368
cptkirk

NEW THROTTLE CABLE HOLDER

Also posted in Supercharged section.

Due to the repositioning of the throttle body I have had to redesign the throttle cable holder, the TB is now 3" more outboard and 3.5" higher, the throtle cable did not have enough extra length in it to be able to meet the old throttle cable holder.

So a series of pictures, running from the design in CAD, through the production to the final part:

PRODUCTION

FINAL PART

Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #369
K20A2
Internet Crack Dealer

K20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsxK20A2 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
on the SC bracket, do you think that will help with belt issues? I would make them if it works.

Club RSX Founder
K20A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #370
LimaRSX
#selfie

LimaRSX is not even half way to the topLimaRSX is not even half way to the top
LimaRSX is not even half way to the topLimaRSX is not even half way to the topLimaRSX is not even half way to the topLimaRSX is not even half way to the topLimaRSX is not even half way to the topLimaRSX is not even half way to the topLimaRSX is not even half way to the top
This is one amazing project, looks fantastic!

Fuck this fucking build crew
IG: LimaRSX

HotAvy&SigKrew
LimaRSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #371
cptkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20A2 View Post
on the SC bracket, do you think that will help with belt issues? I would make them if it works.
The key difference between my setup and an RSX is that I now have the aftercooler unit sandwiched between the charger and the manifold so I have loads more room to play with for inserting extra pulleys. To do this on a regular RSX setup you would need to use much smaller pulleys, which in turn means higher spec bearings as they will be spinning up in the 30-40K region.

In answer to your question I beleive it will help with belt slip compared to the setup I had before where the belt went from the CP round the auto tensioner to the BP. I am looking into a restrictor for the auto tensioner, it will allow the tension to go on incase of belt stretch but not allow the tensioner to release tension under load.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #372
cptkirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaRSX View Post
This is one amazing project, looks fantastic!
Thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #373
cptkirk

Also posted in SC forum

Fitted new cltuch and flywheel and the weekend and also the new belt (fits like a dream), I also got the motor back in the car so its all go to get it running and ready for a track day on 2nd June.

New clutch and flywheel:

new belt:

Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #374
Petrol-head

Petrol-head is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxPetrol-head is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxPetrol-head is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxPetrol-head is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxPetrol-head is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxPetrol-head is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxPetrol-head is a jewel in the rough of c-rsxPetrol-head is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
love it!
Petrol-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #375
Drewski's
beersnob