Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

race header on stock

8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  AIRITE 
#1 ·
Is it pointless to buy a race header to install onto my stock base rsx exhaust? I already have cai, reflash, magnaflow axleback

#6 · (Edited)
This is what im probably buying it says its specifically for the base model so its should fit on my current exhaust. Is it possible to modify the header to fit a high flow cat and how would I do it???

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcs-hhr6515/applications/

The muffler size is like 2.5 inches I forget but its atleast 2x the diameter of the rest of the exhaust, can this affect performance much?

#5 ·
Yeah. hes right.

The RSX's stock cat back is one of the best stock exhausts. It's just the headers that would need changing, if anything. If you had stock headers with a name brand exhaust... That would actually just cause the exhaust to lose power.

After changing the headers, i would recommend you change the exhaust.

#12 · (Edited)
not pointless

it will allow more air out of the engine faster... thats the point. you will then slow that air with your oem mid pipe. ... so just have a shop make a straight through 2.5 mid pipe or buy a used mid pipe to match your magnaflow axle back(i paired dcrh with Greddy S.E. mid and a Straight through 3" muffler. the resonator in the mid keeps my car quieter than the muffler.. but overall sound and performance are A+)

it will also compliment your existing setup as long as you fix the mid. might have a hp loss under 2.5k but will feel great above 4k. Get full KPRO and you can tune! yes new gaskets too. Yes defouler for #2 o2 sensor if you go RH. you will gain about 5hp up high I suspect.

#13 ·
Agreed, the stock header/cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust. Aftermarket cat back alone gives little gains.

Still, I would recommend that you at least pick up a type-s exhaust. For starters, you'll be able to use a type-s raceheader, which there are a lot more of than base raceheaders. Second the type-s catback is a little larger diameter so will help with that extra flow now that you've gotten rid of the cat. Lastly, you can pickup a stock type-s exhaust for cheap.

#15 ·
I did type S RH and high flow cat to eliminate the main restrain... then a custom piping from a good exhaust shop (cheap)

also, custom piping allows RH + cat without destroying anything

2" ID or OD would be ideal to balance low high on a base. i doubt a stock base can benefit from going larger. see.. the oem mainpipe was like 1.75" OD

#23 ·
Sorry to dig up a new thread but I didn't want to get in trouble by starting up a new one.

Is it worth the extra time and money by switching to a Type-S Header and a Type-S OEM Catback Exhaust for my 2002 RSX Base. Or should I just go for the cheaper $225 OBX race header for the base instead?

I know that the OEM Type-S Catback is better, but I want to know if its worth the hassle for a 0.5 inch larger midpipe.

I just want to take advantage of me moving to Florida and they not having emission testing. Plus freeing up the cat will earn me some gains in the midrange.

#24 ·
I would like to hear what base owners say, but I would suspect that the OBX base header would be your answer. I had the stock Type S exhaust on my Type S and swapping out the header made a huge difference, but I know bases are built for low & midrange flow.

But I would consider getting the Type S OBX header so that you can get Type S aftermarket exhaust if you really want to keep your options open, like an RBC intake mani & Kpro, A2 cam/rocker swap, etc.

#25 ·
Yeah I'm probably going to just go for the Type-S set up. My long term goal is to put a rebuilt K20A2 JUST so I can supercharge it and get that sweet whine lol.

Fell in love with this video, and his set up is with a stock catback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVzZDZit3KY

#26 ·
get the type s header and exhaust, once you swap the engine you can use them again instead of buying something else to go with.

I have a base and I got a base exhaust/header for my car, but I'm not looking to do what you are planning. I would do type s if I start over of course.

aftermarket type s header and exhaust would be the way to go, there's more option versus base parts too

#27 ·
Yeah I'm planning on keeping my baby until the wheels fall off. That new K-Tuned Race Header is looking mighty fine. $490 for the non-stainless steel one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.