Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Giant DIY List

293K views 278 replies 143 participants last post by  BrutalB83 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Obviously this isn't every DIY on ClubRSX so if you know of one that you want to see up here just let me know and I'll add it to this list :thumbsup: Plus... lets be honest... the DIY section is filled with a bunch of threads asking for DIY's so hopefully this can help filter those out

If you see something in the wrong section feel free to correct me on that as well :eek:

Got a CEL and dont have an OBDII reader? Use this method. You want to know whats wrong with your car before attempting any DIY repairs!

Engine
Transmission
Electrical
Suspension

Brakes

Exterior

Interior

Misc/IDK WTF to put these :rotfl:

And last but not least... a copy of the helms manual link: Helms Thread on ClubRSX Obviously, the earlier links were taken down so start looking towards the end of the thread for it! *edit* actually josolanes told me there is a link in his sig so here it is: http://kprotuners.com/forum/files.php?pid=803&aid=827[/B he has it uploaded on his new site, kprotuners.com so take advantage of the file and the info on that site as well. thanks!

Helms for Other Honda/Acura Vehicles

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
you dont know how tempted i was to say why dont you :search:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

yeah ill look for them in a little. kinda busy at work

*edit*
added radiator flush. kinda having trouble finding the others and i really dont like the rbc diy that only has writing. dont get me wrong, its a great write up but pictures add a lot

*edit2*
added the word only rbc diy since i cant find one with pics and i also added Big 3 wiring upgrade. i cant find the tb coolant bypass diy

#39 ·
#83 ·
lol i think noobs get enough fingers pointed at them on this site
what about HID ?
will search for it this weekend. been busy all week
<3 your list. HID's should be self explanatory lol.
so are most of the things i posted IMO
DIY - Window Visor 3M Di Noc Carbon Fiber WRAPPED
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=713947:thumbsup:
added

Im also going to change it to be in the format that EddyNguyen924 recommended this weekend. thanks for the support everyone

#66 · (Edited)
D.I.Y. Beginners guide to D.I.Y.s

one thing i learned about life is that knowledge and wisdom is meant to be passed to those who need it, not for one to file it away in the vast library (or small for some folks) of the mind.

i have literally learned a ton of stuff from this website. if it werent for some of these guys i would have never been able to make my car what it is today.

that being said, i am seeing a trend of money being spent not on parts, but on services and installs. a lot of these are fairly simple things you can do yourself. i understand some people dont have time or tools. thats fine. the ones im trying to reach here are the ones lacking confidence or/and know-how. if you fit in that catagory, then read on.

i know it can be scary messing with your car. you dont want to break anything, and thats totally understandable. this should not prevent you from learning how to wrench on your car yourself though. you will find that there is a lot of money to be saved doing your own work, and the best part is, you can spend it on more parts, or hookers.

these are some simple rules you can follow to make learning and building confidence easier.

1. if you really really dont know what your doing, the best thing you can do is find someone who does to SUPERVISE (not do it for you) so that any damage incurred is at a minimum. it really benefits you the most when its someone who works a lot on hondas, and even more for a bonus, dc5s. there is a lot of guys strewn all over the united states right here on these boards. most of them dont mind sharing what they know with a novice. never be afraid to ask for help.

2. spare parts- you cant go wrong with buying spare parts for a project your about to undertake. i myself have begun the practice of buying spare parts for my newer self made or modded projects. if they are affordable, they are valuable to have, just in case you break something. you have the back up to replace it with.

3 start small. you shouldn't rush into a k20 rebuild without knowing how to change an oil filter and oil. start with basic maintenance on your car. changing fluids, replacing hoses, changing a serpentine belt, spark plugs, that sort of thing. start small and work your way up.

4. ALWAYS READ THE DAMN INSTRUCTIONS. as a beginner (and some of us stubborn wanna be experts) it is important for you to know what to do with the part you just bought, and how to properly install it. you will find that in time all thats necessary to install something is simply looking at it. in the meantime, just read the damn instructions. if it didnt come with any, then by all means, search the d.i.y. forums, and if you dont find it there, ask. nothing wrong with asking.

5. take your time. when beginning, its important to take your time when installing or repairing or replacing parts. you rush it, you break it. you do it quickly, you overlook it. you speed up, you do it wrong. its not a race, and theres no penalty for taking an extra long time on a project.

6. get the right tools for the job, and learn how to use them. using screwdrivers as hammers and soldering irons as hole punchers is a great way to break shit or the tools themselves. there are times when theres no other way and its the last resort, but you have to be willing to expect the worst when doing this. highly advise against this.

tools and publications

1. craftsman tools are my favorite. they are built sturdy, and if you manage to break it, take it back to sears and get a replacement, free of charge. when buying a tool set to work on a honda with, your going to be dealing mainly with metric bolts and nuts, as well as some damn allen screws. occasionally you will come across torx bolts, but not as often. the recomendation for a excellent starter kit is as follows

full compliment of metric combination wrenches, if possible of varying lengths
full compliment of metric sockets of both different drive sizes and deep/shallow sockets
various sized screw drivers, phillips and slotted
full compliment of allen wrenches and if possible allen sockets as well
pliers adjustable and needlenose (recommended)
wire cutters, and/or unsheething/crimping tool with connector set (recommended)
soldering iron (recommended)
zip ties
electrical tape
mechanics gloves (awesome)
razor or x-acto knife (not nessary right off, and dangerous, use with extreme caution)

bonus items that really help
floor jack
jackstands

necessary publications are few
basically all you really need is a helms manual, and its available in Kevin949 sig. just do a search for this members name and you will find the link for it in his sig
theres not really a whole lot to it. i hope this helps some of you guys with getting started on saving money and working on your car yourself

i know i forgot some stuff, so i will add later

i am currently working on several d.i.y. threads, and i will add them here so that members can easily find them.

heres a few i have done

esmm install (base rsx) - http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=493419

k24a2 swap (big project) http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=668765&highlight=k24a2

aftermarket hub and steering wheel install with working horn button http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=718259

planned projects:
triple gauge pod climate control trim panel
relocation of clime controls to a boomerrang armrest
energy suspension bushing install
brake rotor and brake pad swap
rear sway bar end link replacement
fuel rail install
valve cover gasket replacement
spark plug replacement

#71 ·
one thing i learned about life is that knowledge and wisdom is meant to be passed to those who need it, not for one to file it away in the vast library (or small for some folks) of the mind.

i have literally learned a ton of stuff from this website. if it werent for some of these guys i would have never been able to make my car what it is today.

that being said, i am seeing a trend of money being spent not on parts, but on services and installs. a lot of these are fairly simple things you can do yourself. i understand some people dont have time or tools. thats fine. the ones im trying to reach here are the ones lacking confidence or/and know-how. if you fit in that catagory, then read on.

i know it can be scary messing with your car. you dont want to break anything, and thats totally understandable. this should not prevent you from learning how to wrench on your car yourself though. you will find that there is a lot of money to be saved doing your own work, and the best part is, you can spend it on more parts, or hookers.

these are some simple rules you can follow to make learning and building confidence easier.

1. if you really really dont know what your doing, the best thing you can do is find someone who does to SUPERVISE (not do it for you) so that any damage incurred is at a minimum. it really benefits you the most when its someone who works a lot on hondas, and even more for a bonus, dc5s. there is a lot of guys strewn all over the united states right here on these boards. most of them dont mind sharing what they know with a novice. never be afraid to ask for help.

2. spare parts- you cant go wrong with buying spare parts for a project your about to undertake. i myself have begun the practice of buying spare parts for my newer self made or modded projects. if they are affordable, they are valuable to have, just in case you break something. you have the back up to replace it with.

3 start small. you shouldn't rush into a k20 rebuild without knowing how to change an oil filter and oil. start with basic maintenance on your car. changing fluids, replacing hoses, changing a serpentine belt, spark plugs, that sort of thing. start small and work your way up.

4. ALWAYS READ THE DAMN INSTRUCTIONS. as a beginner (and some of us stubborn wanna be experts) it is important for you to know what to do with the part you just bought, and how to properly install it. you will find that in time all thats necessary to install something is simply looking at it. in the meantime, just read the damn instructions. if it didnt come with any, then by all means, search the d.i.y. forums, and if you dont find it there, ask. nothing wrong with asking.

5. take your time. when beginning, its important to take your time when installing or repairing or replacing parts. you rush it, you break it. you do it quickly, you overlook it. you speed up, you do it wrong. its not a race, and theres no penalty for taking an extra long time on a project.

6. get the right tools for the job, and learn how to use them. using screwdrivers as hammers and soldering irons as hole punchers is a great way to break shit or the tools themselves. there are times when theres no other way and its the last resort, but you have to be willing to expect the worst when doing this. highly advise against this.

tools and publications

1. craftsman tools are my favorite. they are built sturdy, and if you manage to break it, take it back to sears and get a replacement, free of charge. when buying a tool set to work on a honda with, your going to be dealing mainly with metric bolts and nuts, as well as some damn allen screws. occasionally you will come across torx bolts, but not as often. the recomendation for a excellent starter kit is as follows

full compliment of metric combination wrenches, if possible of varying lengths
full compliment of metric sockets of both different drive sizes and deep/shallow sockets
various sized screw drivers, phillips and slotted
full compliment of allen wrenches and if possible allen sockets as well
pliers adjustable and needlenose (recommended)
wire cutters, and/or unsheething/crimping tool with connector set (recommended)
soldering iron (recommended)
zip ties
electrical tape
mechanics gloves (awesome)
razor or x-acto knife (not nessary right off, and dangerous, use with extreme caution)

bonus items that really help
floor jack
jackstands

necessary publications are few
basically all you really need is a helms manual, and its available somewhere on these boards as a free download from some doods sig link ( Kevin949 )

theres not really a whole lot to it. i hope this helps some of you guys with getting started on saving money and working on your car yourself

i know i forgot some stuff, so i will add later

i am currently working on several d.i.y. threads, and i will add them here so that members can easily find them.

heres a few i have done

esmm install (base rsx) - http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=493419

k24a2 swap (big project) http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=668765&highlight=k24a2

aftermarket hub and steering wheel install (coming soon!)

planned projects:
triple gauge pod climate control trim panel
relocation of clime controls to a boomerrang armrest
energy suspension bushing install
brake rotor and brake pad swap
rear sway bar end link replacement
fuel rail install
valve cover gasket replacement
spark plug replacement
quote fixed in RED

Helms is in Kevin949 sig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.