Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Finally, an ACTUAL DIY Rear Wiper Delete

63K views 139 replies 86 participants last post by  shoegazer 
#1 · (Edited)
I got tired of sifting through all of the halfway DIY Rear wiper deletes and just got sick of looking so i went at it myself and figured it all out. Here it goes.

Tools Needed:

12mm, 10mm, Ratchet, Crescent Wrench. Time. Patience.

Step One
Open the hatch and look right below the top portion and you will see a cubby intended for you to close the trunk. Alot of people are unaware of this- i was until a friend showed me a week/two ago. Unscrew that screw and sat it aside for re-install later.

Step Two
Remove the rear black trunk privacy thing from the left/right clips. You will notice there is a screw on each one respectively. Unscrew those and the clips will come off all together, sit the screws in the holes and sit it aside later for reinstall.

Step Three
Now that those clips are off, manage to pry off the left and right panels CAREFULLY by hand- or if neccesary use something to pry them off. You HAVE to take these two (left and right panelts) first or else you break the clips the hold these two to the other panel.

Step Four
Now that all the screws are loose, use a butter knife, or skinny flat head screwdrive (or a door panel thing if you have one) and CAREFULLY pry it between the trunk body and trunk plastic panel and give it a little wiggle and you should hear a pop (the clips pop out) if you hear cracking, STOP, relocate your tool and try again. once you hear the pop you should be able to pull on it a little with you hand and you will here it all pop off.

You should be left with these parts off the trunk now.

Step Five
Remove the three screws at the bottom of the now exposed acutator thing for the wiper with a philips head screw driver.

Step Six
Close your trunk. make sure you dont do like i did and smash anything you may have sat in the trunk sills.
Pull on the peice that swings on the wiper to expose a bolt.

Of course- unscrew it.

Pull Wiper off, and the rubber peices and grommets etc off.

Step 7
Take your wrench or whatever you can find and remove the next bolt off the wiper. Be careful not to scratch your glass or anything as to mine was on pretty good and took a while to get off.

Step Eight
Open your trunk hatch and unplug the wiring to the wiper. Notice the three 12mm bolts holding in the support for the wiper. Remove these.

Now push out the rest of the wiper assembly. You should be left with this. Put it all back together if you plan on just selling it like i am- if your taking it off- your obv dont plan to use it again.

Step Nine
Now i went to advance auto parts and got some Black Rubber Sealant. Also while there i grabbed a set of GM & Universal Hood Insulation Retainers (Part No9110623 at advance auto parts. It comes up as HOOD INSTLLTN RTNR 3PK 9110623 on your reciept. ($1.69)

Take your rubber sealant and apply it around the hole that was left in your window and apply some to the hood retainer as well. I used rubber sealeant because it seems easier to remove excess than rubber cement etc. etc.... Put the retainer over the hole- let it sit and dry, take a box cutter or razor and remove any excess- and check for leaks...

All done. :thumbsup:

You can take a razor or box knife and remove the excess- i will later tonight and repost pictures of the touch up. I just wanted to ensure a water tight seal!! You can also fill the hole which by the way does not leak as to the other side is closed. I personally - like the look of it there.

See less See more
#4 ·
i agree, but to each his own, thanks for the write up

#8 · (Edited)
went back and cleaned it up some.... still gotta sand it down some and get some of the excess glue off.

do not over do it on the glue- or else you will wind up having to do a clean up as i did

Things to know:

the diamter is 1.5in of the hole if you find another plug that will work

#25 ·
thanks for the part #'s!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.