Grinding noise followed after cranking the car up?? - Page 2 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Transmission & Drive Train RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #26
dc5skies

dc5skies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5skies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5skies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5skies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5skies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5skies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5skies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5skies is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptazn_Mark View Post
It could be your TCT like some people have said, but I'd bet that it's your starter.

If the gear that turns your flywheel when you try to start the car does not retract fast enough then you end up with a grinding noise. You will likely see some wear on your flywheel and/or your starter gear.
I had the exact same problem and my mech explain this to me^^^
I fixed the starter and He told me it kinda wore out the flywheel, but I'm waiting on some money so I can get a flywheel+clutch work all done at once. This was about a month ago and it made the noise again(just once) earlier this week.
dc5skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
Sage0021

Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though
bump for an answer:

My car does this practically every single day!

I brought it to the dealer last night so they could get a cold start this morning. He called and said no sound at all. perfect start. He also said that he parked it inside the shop so no one would mess with it on the lot. I asked him if its heated and he said yes.

Now he told me that cold temp would have nothing to do with the starter grinding or not grinding.. is this true? If I start it in the morning it grinds practically everytime.. If I leave it out in the sun all day 8+ hrs and then start it, it does NOT grind.. so in my head the temp does affect it

He also said my battery cables were "hand tightened" and that could be the problem from a lack of voltage..

Im trying to prevent him from sending me home with the car and me waking up tomorrow and having it grind again
Sage0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #28
Myth21

Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Well my.Acura.tech said it's.the weather.when.its.cold. after you.crank.the car it doesn't pull back fast enough causing the.grind, cause its cold. Can't really do.much about it.imo...
Myth21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
Sage0021

Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though Sage0021 is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth21 View Post
Well my.Acura.tech said it's.the weather.when.its.cold. after you.crank.the car it doesn't pull back fast enough causing the.grind, cause its cold. Can't really do.much about it.imo...
so you never replaced your starter?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #30
Myth21

Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Myth21 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I didn't have my car for very long so I wouldn't know. Si's grind as well.
Myth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #31
Achlimed
RSX Noob

Achlimed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Achlimed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Achlimed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Achlimed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Achlimed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Achlimed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Achlimed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Achlimed is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
From what I understand it's a problem with the K20's starters. Mine does the exact same thing, but as you guys have said just on the first start in the A.M. or if it's cold out. Just faulty OEM Manufacturing I suppose. My roommate has a re-manufactured on his 08 Si and it works beautifully, everytime.
Achlimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #32
bsivoljr
Dafkup

bsivoljr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsivoljr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsivoljr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsivoljr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsivoljr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsivoljr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsivoljr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bsivoljr is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
The TCT would be more of a rattle and not a loud grind. It could be a faulty starter. you'd have to remove it and take it to say autozone to test it. I had one that would not engage. It made funny sounds but I don't remember it grinding persay. Otherwise it could be Trans related, bad bearing. :/
Old 06-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #33
Sage0021

mine wound up being the starter
Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #34
Laborchet
Master Member

Laborchet might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Laborchet might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Laborchet might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Laborchet might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Laborchet might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Laborchet might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Laborchet might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Laborchet might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
How sure are you its a metal on metal grinding? Maybe its your belt squaling a little to catch up when the car starts, specially in the morning.

Sometimes when i start my car it cranks up and when it starts and the motor gets the first continuous spin (not just the starter) it makes a grinding but more of a belt squeal for about 1 second. maybe its just that?
Laborchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #35
blakeyBOY

blakeyBOY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blakeyBOY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blakeyBOY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blakeyBOY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blakeyBOY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blakeyBOY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blakeyBOY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blakeyBOY is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
here this is my car doing what i think yall are trying to explain. i had to video it my cold start a few times to try and catch the noise. pretty much happens every fresh start now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTyoW...sBo9-1pU37OVFg
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
Champ09
Too Soon Junior

Champ09 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Champ09 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Champ09 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Champ09 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Champ09 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Champ09 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Champ09 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Champ09 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I had the same problem and began to get really worried. It only started doing it once it got cold too.

I searched and searched but nothing came up on the forum and I didn't really know how to describe the noise or what to look for.

I found out it is 100% the starter.

Here's a video I took to show local clubrsx members so they could tell me what it was since I couldn't replicate at any of the meets, it's the exact same noise as yours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGzkBMXCTU

Here's one of them explaining it in more detail:

Quote:
Thats your starter. Mine does it too, when you turn the key over to start it, the engine is actually turning while the starter hasn't yes disengaged. So it's essentially making that noise because the starter is still trying to do its job while getting resistance from the engine already moving.

The trick is to do a wrist snap, where you turn the key to the start position quickly and let it go as fast as possible. Hopefully that helps, if not, it'll keep doing it because the little gear on the starter is sticking in the Out position, instead of being retracted immediately like its supposed to. The only real fix is getting a new starter.

I've heard it's a common thing on the RSX after some years. Mine still works, it also doesn't do it all the time.
I'm pretty relieved now because at first I thought it was something way worse haha.

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem

Last edited by Champ09; 01-18-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Champ09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #37
teamHighNorth
Reppin' HNSCC

teamHighNorth is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx teamHighNorth is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx teamHighNorth is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx teamHighNorth is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx teamHighNorth is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx teamHighNorth is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx teamHighNorth is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx teamHighNorth is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
theres an easy way to duplicate it, i wouldnt really recommend it but if u can manage to do it really quick youll at least know what it is. after you start it up try engaging the starting again really quick, id only recommend doing this right after you hear the noise on initial start up so you have something fresh to compare the noise too. but mine sounds identical to the video posted and its the starter, just like a lot of people are saying, its the starter. the gear that engages with the flywheel isnt retracting quick enough so gets caught in the flywheel. not a huge deal at first but as theyve also stated above, it will wear out your flywheel eventually, so might as well do them together. i wouldnt really recommend a remanned starter tho. when i took my first year of automotive we got to take apart a few remanned starters and alternators, and they only replace whats needed. thats it, so its a bit of a gamble.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #38
btran

btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Sorry to revive an old thread but is this a serious problem? Should I get my starter replaced asap?

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
btran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:42 AM   #39
Fade2Black
Retired OG

Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
it's hard to say the solenoid sticking isn't a huge issue but you don't how much time till it out right fails.

just replace it asap with a remanufactured from acura.

2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 - Injen CAI - RV6 PCD'S and J-Pipe - RV6 Double resonated midpipe - 25.4mm RSB
2002 SSM Type S - gone
RIP 2002 NHBP Type S - 452whp/358tq pump gas
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #40
btran

btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx btran is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Black View Post
it's hard to say the solenoid sticking isn't a huge issue but you don't how much time till it out right fails.

just replace it asap with a remanufactured from acura.
Cool thanks

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
btran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:58 AM   #41
v3ngence

v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx v3ngence is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I just got used to the timing, release the key the moment you hear it start to rev up.

I've had this issue for over 5 years and the starter just keeps on working, I've been waiting for it to fail but no luck lol
v3ngence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #42
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I am on 3+ years or so and yeah I just time it! Good to hear it will keep going, kinda. The winter is when it sticks for me

why are we reviving this thread again?