Engine finally dead - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > K-Series Swaps
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 12-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Sitherus

Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Engine finally dead

There's no fixing it I need a new engine and it came at a time where I have no money. I need advise and help finding an engine that will work. I don't want to go stock k20a3 but if I have to I will.in a previous thread I was looking for an engine with low end.now I know that the k24 is what I'm looking for but which one. I know it won't bolt on to my auto tranny. My budget is 2000 dollars 1000 is going to my mechanic. Will the k24z1 provide low end torque and bolt into my car with a manual tranny will it work with an automatic and do I need sop to for any of these because if I do that will be out of budget thanks
Sitherus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
Sitherus

Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Sitherus is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I know the question that has been asked 15million times. I can find this knowledge by googling it, however i just need someone to talk to me about this so i can understand it. If i buy a k24z1 with a manual transmission can i just drop it in using the bar from the other car that without it makes the engine higher. Would it be a direct bolt in swap.
Would i be able to plug a k24z1 into my auto transmission with a kpro? what do i need to buy to make this work. if i buy an engine with a different computer than what came with my rsx would my passanger compartment electronics still work like airbags? radio? gauges?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Sitherus

never mind i see why people aren't responding. Im just going to get a k20a3 from a 05 civic si and turbo it.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
JByron
Master Member

JByron is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitherus View Post
never mind i see why people aren't responding. Im just going to get a k20a3 from a 05 civic si and turbo it.
Actually I believe the k24 will bolt up to the auto tranny no problem. From what I've read you will need one mount adapter and to extend a couple sensor wires. You will also need to get the kpro to auto ecu harness from Joel and a regular PRB type s ecu. Also you may need to ditch your front sway bars to clear the header or get a different kind (not sure which one). Also type s primary o2 sensor

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=670063 For kpro in auto info

So 1300 for engine, 100 for the o2 sensor, 1-1600k for the ecu,kpro and adapter harness plus some change for the mount adapter.

Then just load up the k24 base map and go for a tune for some extra power. Cauqazn did this (but supercharged) and some others.

Also this applies to 02-04 only as far as I know.

Anyone who knows better feel free to chime in I've only casually researched this for myself

Last edited by JByron; 12-14-2016 at 07:46 AM..
JByron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Sitherus

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JByron View Post
Actually I believe the k24 will bolt up to the auto tranny no problem. From what I've read you will need one mount adapter and to extend a couple sensor wires. You will also need to get the kpro to auto ecu harness from Joel and a regular PRB type s ecu. Also you may need to ditch your front sway bars to clear the header or get a different kind (not sure which one). Also type s primary o2 sensor

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=670063 For kpro in auto info

So 1300 for engine, 100 for the o2 sensor, 1-1600k for the ecu,kpro and adapter harness plus some change for the mount adapter.

Then just load up the k24 base map and go for a tune for some extra power. Cauqazn did this (but supercharged) and some others.

Also this applies to 02-04 only as far as I know.

Anyone who knows better feel free to chime in I've only casually researched this for myself
Thanks for the reply, but that would have been over budget. I ended up getting a 06 k20a3 with a 5 speed manual. the engine has 60 miles on it and the tranny has none. basically new. Finally I got a titanium exhaust with built in cut outs. Im saving up for a turbo now. The engine is on its way.

Last edited by Sitherus; 01-02-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Old 04-14-2017, 12:34 AM   #6
soufsideprimo

soufsideprimo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx soufsideprimo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx soufsideprimo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx soufsideprimo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx soufsideprimo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx soufsideprimo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx soufsideprimo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx soufsideprimo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
how much did you pay for your k20a3?
soufsideprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Sitherus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soufsideprimo View Post
how much did you pay for your k20a3?
around 1600dollars for engine tranny and 800 for installation it would have only been 500 for install but, i had a stage 2 turbo kit installed along with i think a volvo fuel rail and injectors.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
dc5_rmnb

dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitherus View Post
around 1600dollars for engine tranny and 800 for installation it would have only been 500 for install but, i had a stage 2 turbo kit installed along with i think a volvo fuel rail and injectors.
A k24a2 (highly undervalued as people see it as a sedan motor but is actually the best swap imo) from 06-08 is what you were looking for, its the best K series motor. k20a3 isn't the worse choice because of drop in fit but is probably the worse choice you could've went with if you had options, it is the lesser of ivtec engines, it only has 2 cam lobes per cylinder and only has single stage vtc engagement on the intake cam versus 3 lobes per cylinder and has the dual stage vtc engagement on both intake and exhaust cams ultimately means you make more power, for example a k20a3 makes 160bhp versus a K20z1 which makes 200bhp.

Its easier to list K's that are worth the hassle versus K's that are not so here you go:

K20a(Type R only; not K20A from base which is the same as K20a3)
K20A2
K20z1
K20z3
K20z4
k24a2
All the above mentioned are 2 stage high revving, high hp (for n/a IL4 motors) motors, everything else K is meant more for fuel efficiency or is a stock turbo variant that I haven't seen myself personally (k23a found in MDX and k20c found in new type r civic).
Honda probably has about 20+ layouts/names/purposes for this series of motor.

I don't know how well the K24z1 will fit, I know its configured differently and much more harder swap than say a K20a(any), k20z(any) or K24a(any). Its oil filter is located in a position where in interferes with stock location of k20a transmission so you'd have to block off and relocate it, which is not worth it at any point. You'll end up paying more, for certainly. All this stuff can be found on here though and if it isn't already too late a little searching would save you $ and heartache. Also try searching locally or on ebay cause 1600 for a k20a3 is highway robbery IMO we get those for 1/4 that here in SF.
dc5_rmnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:17 AM   #9
Sitherus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5_rmnb View Post
A k24a2 (highly undervalued as people see it as a sedan motor but is actually the best swap imo) from 06-08 is what you were looking for, its the best K series motor. k20a3 isn't the worse choice because of drop in fit but is probably the worse choice you could've went with if you had options, it is the lesser of ivtec engines, it only has 2 cam lobes per cylinder and only has single stage vtc engagement on the intake cam versus 3 lobes per cylinder and has the dual stage vtc engagement on both intake and exhaust cams ultimately means you make more power, for example a k20a3 makes 160bhp versus a K20z1 which makes 200bhp.

Its easier to list K's that are worth the hassle versus K's that are not so here you go:

K20a(Type R only; not K20A from base which is the same as K20a3)
K20A2
K20z1
K20z3
K20z4
k24a2
All the above mentioned are 2 stage high revving, high hp (for n/a IL4 motors) motors, everything else K is meant more for fuel efficiency or is a stock turbo variant that I haven't seen myself personally (k23a found in MDX and k20c found in new type r civic).
Honda probably has about 20+ layouts/names/purposes for this series of motor.

I don't know how well the K24z1 will fit, I know its configured differently and much more harder swap than say a K20a(any), k20z(any) or K24a(any). Its oil filter is located in a position where in interferes with stock location of k20a transmission so you'd have to block off and relocate it, which is not worth it at any point. You'll end up paying more, for certainly. All this stuff can be found on here though and if it isn't already too late a little searching would save you $ and heartache. Also try searching locally or on ebay cause 1600 for a k20a3 is highway robbery IMO we get those for 1/4 that here in SF.
If i had my choice and could afford it, like winning the lottery, I would swap in a v8 although im not sure its possible. If i had a budget but more than I paid, I would have done k24z3 just because I rode in one at a car show and it felt so fast so much inertial force pushing back on me as soon as I gave it gas. I know this is the only model of k24 thats got plastic headers like the k20a3 so it must mean it is not a good choice but most likely a cheap choice. My grandma was covering the charge of the new engine and she wanted a stock engine with 0 miles.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
CyborgGT
Master Member

CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I don't think that's a bad price at all considering it's got little more than dealership miles on it . How'd you manage to find such an engine?

But don't hate on that plastic intake manifold! Thanks to its dual-stage system, the base RSX has more low-end power and torque before the Type S's A2 hits VTEC.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #11
Sitherus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
I don't think that's a bad price at all considering it's got little more than dealership miles on it . How'd you manage to find such an engine?

But don't hate on that plastic intake manifold! Thanks to its dual-stage system, the base RSX has more low-end power and torque before the Type S's A2 hits VTEC.
Supposedly the owner of a brand new 2004 acura rsx off the lot in 2005 ran a red light and got the rear end smashed by a semi. It was then brought to a lot in north carolina and from there shipped to a warehouse filled with jdm engines. when i called the parts place in nc they shipped it to me from maryland. with a little less than 200 miles on it. the only thing we had trouble with was the injectors i guess since they'd been sitting with dried up gas or other fluids in and on them for 12 years they were swapped to a volvo set and fuel rail, (I think) I could be wrong on this volvo thing but thats what my mechanic told me.

I like the way the plastic looks on the k24z3 because its curved but not so much on the k20a3
Old 05-26-2017, 12:50 AM   #12
zimaz1

zimaz1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx zimaz1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx zimaz1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx zimaz1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx zimaz1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx zimaz1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx zimaz1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx zimaz1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
If you had to do it again, would you go with the same motor?
zimaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote