Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Stock Stereo Code Error

53K views 61 replies 38 participants last post by  Alberex 
#1 ·
i just had my clutch installed last week and now the stereo doesn't work. Does anyone know the code for these stock stereo's? I assume they're all the same..

#7 ·
the same thing happend to me i tried pushing so many buttons that it locked....you just have to unhook your battery and hook it back up again and put the code in....the easiest place to find the code is on the under side of your fuse box in the engine comp......

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PULL THE RADIO OUT!!!

#10 ·
There might be a sticker when you open your glove box that has it on it. From the drivers seat it will be on the outside just below the peg that keeps the glove box from coming all the way out.
I saw it somewhere else too, but don't know where. I'll look when I get a chance.

#15 ·
i called acura dealership earlier and they told me that i have to bring the car in. the nearest one is 100 miles away.
Are you sure that they can look it up through vin #?

The first dealer i called said that the car has to be baught through them in order for them to give me the code, but i think he is bull shiting so i called another dealer and they said i would have to bring my car in so they can give me the code.

#34 ·
i had the same problem too when i unhooked my battery. i bought my car used and had to get a new manual and it didn't have the radio code. if you call your originial dealership they should be able to give you the code but mine was closed the day i needed it. so i just drove up to a different dealership( they said i had to be present, i think in case if the car wasn't stolen) and i gave them my VIN and they gave me the code

#35 ·
Usually they won't give you the code over the phone, you have to go in to get it so they know you didn't steal the shit. Anyone can get a VIN number, I mean it's right on the windshield so that's not exactly a good way to prove you own the car.

VIN should work fine for them to look up the code unless the radio was replaced, then they need the serial number.

Also there are 800 different spots the dealer will attach the radio code to the car, OR they won't attach it to the car at all. I got my radio code on a card that was seperate from the owners manual, if I lost that car, there's no where else on the car I could look to get it. I'd have to drive to the dealership and bug them for a new one.

#36 · (Edited)
DO NOT TAKE OUT THE RADIO!!! The dealer cannot look up the radio code with the vin number. They need the serial number from the radio. To get this:
1. Get a pen and paper
2. Turn the key on
3. Turn the power off for the radio (when it doesnt say CODE)
4. Press and hold the 1 and 6
5. Turn power on the radio, still holding the 1 and 6.
Two sets of 4 digit numbers will pop up (8 total) this is the serial number. Call the dealer and give them the number, they can then give you the code. If they tell you that you need to come in, call them an asshole and call another dealer and act like you work at a local shop.

Damn, those dealerships are probably making a killing, telling you they have to remove the radio. They prolly charge an hours labor for 15 seconds work. BASTARDS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.