Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Which turbo kit is right for you?

Tags
kit turbo
289K views 459 replies 223 participants last post by  JohnWright 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is for all the "What turbo should I put on my RSX threads". If anybody wants to add to this to make it the most comprehensive thread on RSX turbo kits, then feel free to do so. Maybe if we get ONE good thread going that we can keep uncluttered then we can get one step closer to a better boost forum.

-------------------------------------------------

When looking at turbo kits for the rsx, the first thing in your mind should be "how much power do I want to make?" After you answer this question, you will be better suited to choose which kit you should go with.

This thread contains various dyno plots from boosted vehicles: Boost Dyno Thread Use it to gauge power potential with various mods. Keep in mind that all engines, tuning devices, and dyno measurements are different and are in no way a gaurantee of outcomes, but they can be used to roughly predict output.

Cybernation Motorsports was in the forefront of turbo kit design for the RSX. They offer kits for both the RSX type S and the base model RSX. While the quality of the components in the kit may not be as good as the HKS / Greddy kits, what they lack in craftsmanship, they make up for with upgrade potential. Cybernation kits are available for everything from a street setup containing a T3/T4 combo turbo, to monster race setups with their stage 3 turbo kit containing a 62-1 turbo and a complete internal rebuild of the engine. Many users have found success with their 60-1 turbo and are making 12sec passes with it. Cybernation (CN) kits come with turbo piping, intercooler piping and intercooler, injectors, gauges, an exeternal wastegate, and their Guardian E.I. engine management system that allows the user to install their turbo kit, wire up Guardian, and drive their vehicle relatively safely without having to tune the vehicle. Care should be made to verify that guardian is working for you by dyno testing your car with a wideband 02 to ensure a correct a/f mixture, although many users support its function. Guardian updates are constantly made and revisions are able to be upgraded into the Guardian through your computer.

Full-Race Full-Race is a very well known and respected company amongst participants in various import drag race circuits, producing products deployed by both professional drivers and amateurs alike. Full-Race employs some of the best fabricators in the field, and uses state of the art equipment to produce their wares. They are a full service fabricator, which can produce damn near anything race related, that you may need, from full turbo kits, to custom design intake manifolds.

Regarding K-series equipped vehicles, Full-Race is finishing off the development of top quality kits Produced with the same Materials and workmanship which has made them famous. As with all of their streetable manifolds/downpipes, the K-Series stuff will be produced of the finest grade stainless steel available; Robotically TIG welded, to ensure proper joining off all seams, for guaranteed lifetime service. Full-Race is certainly not your average “one size fits all” manufacturer, so you may request custom changes to your kit, to suit your needs. The equal length manifolds and true merged collectors will help the K-Series enthusiast to achieve his/her goals as efficiently as possible, extracting the most power per pound of boost of any of the available kits.

Full-Race turbo kits are designed for those who are serious about tuning their kits and are not willing to settle for anything less than top quality, as the kits will prove to be some of the highest priced systems available for the K-series family of vehicles, with quality comes a premium.

The Full-Race kits will not include any fuel enrichment devices, so the tuner will need to seek out the engine management system of their choice.

Buy with confidence, as you will certainly not need to “upgrade” any component of the kit in short order.

Greddy kit is a good, well rounded kit featuring a nicely sized turbo designed to produce great gains in the 7-10psi range. It comes with the Greddy E-Manage tuning solution which offers the user a nice preprogramed map for stock boost levels, but the option to tune it yourself and add on further options to tweak your tune. The base kit does not come with an intercooler or blow off valve (BOV), but those are things you can add on at a later date, or purchace the Greddy Intercooler kit, which comes with all the piping and accessories needed to mount the intercooler. The kit does have problems with the oil lines but solutions are becoming available in the form of aftermarket braided oil line kits. Users have had significant gains when switching the e-manage for hondata k-pro.

The HKS kit is relatively new and is still widely unused, partly due to its high cost. Similar to the greddy kit, it is designed for relatively low boost settings with relatively little upgradeablitiy. This kit is very well engineered and setup as a relatively high end solution for lower boost needs. It uses a GT2835 ball-bearing turbo for longer turbo life, an internal wastegate setup, and a HKS SSQV BOV. No fuel / engine management system is supplied, although HKS recomends their own HKS F-con Vpro. Greddy e-manage and Hondata k-pro are alternatives for engine management. An intercooler is available seperately from HKS if you wish to have one and not custom fabricate your own.

RevHard [i do not know enough about the Rev Hard kit to feel comfortable writing anything on it. If somebody with more knowledge would be willing to create a Rev hard writeup, I would appreciate it.]

Putting a turbo system on any car that did not come from the factory designed for Forced Induction (f/i) is never something that should be looked at as being 'easy' or 'cheap'. If you try to make a budget turbo kit and do not make wise decisions regarding your component choices, you will end up dissatisfied. More times than not, the costs required to build your own turbo kit is equal to, or greater than the costs of purchacing a completed kit to begin with. This is in no way meant to throw off people from trying to build their own kit, merely letting them know what they are getting into.

The most important aspect in your turbo kit will be the engine management system that either comes with it or you choose on your own. There is much debate over the available engine management systems, and the important thing is to do your own research and find what you feel works for you given your needs, tuning knowledge, and price range. The ECU and Electronics Forum is a great place to begin researching available tuning options.

If anybody has any information / corrections to make, please feel free to do so... I did this fairly quickly so errors are probably there. Please point them out and we will perfect this thing. Lets make a good thread that can be used to suppress these redundant threads.

See less See more
#299 ·
Full-race is the best, but you pay the most
Peakboost is good, and cheaper, basically a copy of Full-Race.....but they seem to have a 2-6 month wait time on actually getting the kit.
HKS kit is.......meh. fine for some i'm sure, just not quite the same power potential with low boost I don't believe.

#303 ·
the only stronger tranny are the bullhead gears and those arent advised for daily driving. there are people over 500whp who use the stock tranny. problem is that it can go at any moment

#310 ·
A/C doesn't need to be sacrificed for any RSX turbo kit.

#312 ·
You might have to get the Civic SI a/c compressor line because it goes along the side of the engine bay as opposed to right over the center like the RSX one but other than that I don't think it's a problem. The a/c compressor is on the opposite side from where the i/c piping goes, the a/c radiator doesn't get in the way of the i/c... with any major modification like this there's always shit you need to change, cut, bend etc but I'm pretty sure you can fairly easily retain a/c with any rsx turbo kit.

#315 ·
Qucik question guys. I went to my local jdm shop. They told me they could put a turbo on my car but its a no namer. I guess it was they make. Everything for about a grand. Would that be worth it? I heard the expression You get what you pay for! But its JDM, so its got some rep? Any suggestions before i do something stupid. Thanks in advance.

#327 ·
You can push 400 on stock internals with a good tune.

#330 ·
Don't boost your first car to be a 10 second car. You'll fucking die.

#331 ·
I just want to beat evos, sti's on the highway, or from 3rd gear pulls...will the peakboost kit with the t3/t4 work or would i need the GT30R?? (plus clutch, and LSD)

yes, its a very noob type question. there is more to it than this, i just want this simple question answered so i can make other decisions.

#332 ·
1. Racing on the highway is for douchebags with deathwishes, take it to the track.
2. You need a power goal, not a "I wanna beat this car" goal because remember that OTHER cars can be modded too.
3. The most important mod is the driver mod.

#336 ·
ok thanks you two ^ I dont think i was being that vague, i was clear about comparing the rsx vs. a STOCK subie. And yes, exceeding the speed limit on the highway is very dangerous and must be a behavior that is not expressed. I do want to put my car on the track, sadly my state is horrible at letting people drive on road courses, which is what i would really like. but my question is answered now, so thanks. Its nice to know an all motor DC5 can take a stock subie, and i did not know a t3/t4 can make same hp as GT30r, but i am assuming the garrett 30r bb turbo is a much higher quality and efficient turbo.

#341 ·
Not well. Several turbo guys are going to be doing some cryo treatment to the gears. It will be interesting to see how that works out. I'm probably going to be doing this before I put sticky tires on this summer so i don't blow my tranny. Right now I'm on stock wheels with stock all season tires so I'm not worried about blowing anything.

#342 ·
well i already got cryo treatment, i am cryosamurai jk
ya i been talking to arcull and he has gone through some trannies...that is a whole new can of worms..has anyone had any luck with the ppg dog box? or anything like that, with 400+hp

thanks for the info, it points me in the right direction, possibly a small greddy kit, or something else under 300whp

#347 ·
2006 acura rsx base model

I just got an 06 rsx base auto and if i wanted to boost it im not looking to really race that much i just want a faster car what would i need other then a turbo kit to install it? like do i need to do anything to the engine or injectors or exhuast?headers? ecu? please if you can some advice :D

#348 ·
I just got an 06 rsx base auto and if i wanted to boost it im not looking to really race that much i just want a faster car what would i need other then a turbo kit to install it? like do i need to do anything to the engine or injectors or exhuast?headers? ecu? please if you can some advice :D
If you have to ask about needing headers with a turbo kit, you have a lot of research to do.

#350 ·
ok, so i've got my '05 Type-S, and i want to go forced induction. Im not sure if i should go Peakboost setup with a GT3076R, or go against the grain and run the Kraftwerks Rotrex Supercharger kit.

Only downfall ive seen so far on the Rotrex is it requires an AC-delete. Ive been trying to find out if there is a way to do an AC-relocate so i dont have to get rid of it.

anyone have any input on which they think would be more bang for the buck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.