Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY JDM sidemarkers complete installation guide with pics

144K views 456 replies 246 participants last post by  kl0udykl0ud 
#1 ·
First off, I would like to thank KevinG for helping out with this install. The time that it took us for this install was roughly around 5 hours, simply because we took our time and did everything the right way.
The tools/supplies that you will need are:
-Flathead screwdriver
-Phillips screwdriver
-Masking tape
-xacto knife/razor
-String
-Sidemarker template
-Dremel with numerous cutting wheels and grinding attachment
-Touch up primer
-Touch up paint
-12' of wire
-wire taps (8)
-wire cutters
-wire strippers
-tie straps (6)

First step is to jack up the car and remove the wheel. Next take off the Phillips head screws and plastic clips holding the fender liner in place.

Next step is to apply masking tape in the area you will be cutting the hole and then pull a string on the curved part of the body from the door across to the front fender. Then put the correct side template over the sting and attach with tape.

After everything is lined up with the body line and fender line, trace the opening with a pencil and it should look like this:

See less See more
#434 ·
if you get the OEM kit with the wires and connectors and junk, it comes with a grommet that goes in one of the holes of the fender if im not mistaken..

http://www.kamispeed.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=JDH.DC5-Amber-SideMarkers

although i cant recall where it went though since theres another one in the fender that leads into the car.

i just did this and am thinking of wiring the sidemarkers into my foglights power and then grounding it to the car.. is this a good or bad idea o_O
why wouldnt you just tap it into the parking light power? or the turn signal or do the combo? ha it doesnt make much sense to tap it into the fogs

#436 ·
ah yes okay thats the ground and power for the side marker, cut that off and tap the green (i believe) into the side marker and the black into the ground.

That one will blink with the side markers only

If you do the same but to the parking light, it will always remain on and not blink

I forget how to wire it the way I did but its on this thread somewhere or another DIY with a diagram that shows how to do both to where its always on and blinks as well

#439 ·
I found this from another diy how to get them to stay on and blink. this is the method i used myself

Side marker lights that stays on and blinks

Another option is to wire your side marker lights so that they stay on with your parking lights and also blink with your turn signal. To do this, connect the GRN/YEL wire from the side marker light to the RED/YEL wire of your parking light, then connect the BLK wire from the side marker light to the GRN/YEL, GRN/RED wire of the turn signal lights. Remember to use amber LED 168/194 bulb to avoid overheating the side marker housing. A thing to note when wiring this way: your side markers will stay on with your parking lights, but when you signal, it will alternate with your front and rear turn signals instead of blinking in synchronization. That is when your front and rear signals are lit, your side markers will remain off. When your front and rear turn signals are off, your side markers will turn on.

#443 ·
To anyone doing this, I would recommend putting green masking tape over the area you are to cut, then stencil the outline onto the tape. I have a black car so it was only logical to do it that way. Also.. tape some card all around that area you're cutting, that way if the blade runs away on you you don't scratch your paint. In addition to that I would recommend taping newspaper to the car, covering all the surround body panels. You see any fine metal dust will stick to your car and leave scratches, again this applies more to someone with a darker colour that shows all those minor imperfections. I just finished mine today, they turned out good, not perfect, but nobody will really notice unless they come real close to look at the side markers.

#446 ·
I have a really quick question. More of a clarification I guess. There are two types of "kits" online for sale and I am just trying to figure out which one is best especially since I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. Anyway, here are the two different kits I have questions about...
1) http://www.icbmotorsport.com/dc5tyramsima1.html
2) http://www.kamispeed.com/product-p/jdh.dc5-amber-sidemarkers.htm
Does it make a difference which one I get? Is one better than the other. It seems like the OP of this thread used #2, but it appears he just cut the harness that came with it anyway. Let me know, thanks!

#448 ·
The one from Kamispeed is the one I bought, that is the direct OEM kit from Honda, includes everything and the wiring including the grommets that go into the fender. I ran these but you have to cut the plugs off the end and splice them into your sidemarkers or the parking lights or the combo...

The one from icbmotorsports is the OEM side markers but they missing the OEM wiring and grommets and just have the power and ground wire to make a direct splice job into the lights.

You cannot go wrong with both, I went with kamispeed because it looks more solid and had the tubing and what not to keep it more waterproof in my mind.

I still had to run extra wire to get it to reach but you cant go wrong with either IMO.

#453 · (Edited)
Just wanted to post some information for anyone considering buying the eBay side markers that don't come with connectors or pigtails.

My side markers look like this.

I bought them from eBay HERE.

I knew I'd seen that connector on a Honda before so I went to my local Honda Dealership and found some that work perfectly. Also picked up some pigtails while I was there.

Just the bulb connector.

Bulb connector and plug.

And with the pigtails.

Picked up everything for $8.28 out the door.

Everything fits together really snug.
The connector part number is 04321-SM4-405 if you can't see it.

Hope this helps someone! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.