Which turbo kit is right for you? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS > Turbo
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 05-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Arctic04S
Master Member

Arctic04S is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Which turbo kit is right for you?

This is for all the "What turbo should I put on my RSX threads". If anybody wants to add to this to make it the most comprehensive thread on RSX turbo kits, then feel free to do so. Maybe if we get ONE good thread going that we can keep uncluttered then we can get one step closer to a better boost forum.

-------------------------------------------------

When looking at turbo kits for the rsx, the first thing in your mind should be "how much power do I want to make?" After you answer this question, you will be better suited to choose which kit you should go with.

This thread contains various dyno plots from boosted vehicles: Boost Dyno Thread Use it to gauge power potential with various mods. Keep in mind that all engines, tuning devices, and dyno measurements are different and are in no way a gaurantee of outcomes, but they can be used to roughly predict output.

Cybernation Motorsports was in the forefront of turbo kit design for the RSX. They offer kits for both the RSX type S and the base model RSX. While the quality of the components in the kit may not be as good as the HKS / Greddy kits, what they lack in craftsmanship, they make up for with upgrade potential. Cybernation kits are available for everything from a street setup containing a T3/T4 combo turbo, to monster race setups with their stage 3 turbo kit containing a 62-1 turbo and a complete internal rebuild of the engine. Many users have found success with their 60-1 turbo and are making 12sec passes with it. Cybernation (CN) kits come with turbo piping, intercooler piping and intercooler, injectors, gauges, an exeternal wastegate, and their Guardian E.I. engine management system that allows the user to install their turbo kit, wire up Guardian, and drive their vehicle relatively safely without having to tune the vehicle. Care should be made to verify that guardian is working for you by dyno testing your car with a wideband 02 to ensure a correct a/f mixture, although many users support its function. Guardian updates are constantly made and revisions are able to be upgraded into the Guardian through your computer.

Full-Race Full-Race is a very well known and respected company amongst participants in various import drag race circuits, producing products deployed by both professional drivers and amateurs alike. Full-Race employs some of the best fabricators in the field, and uses state of the art equipment to produce their wares. They are a full service fabricator, which can produce damn near anything race related, that you may need, from full turbo kits, to custom design intake manifolds.

Regarding K-series equipped vehicles, Full-Race is finishing off the development of top quality kits Produced with the same Materials and workmanship which has made them famous. As with all of their streetable manifolds/downpipes, the K-Series stuff will be produced of the finest grade stainless steel available; Robotically TIG welded, to ensure proper joining off all seams, for guaranteed lifetime service. Full-Race is certainly not your average “one size fits all” manufacturer, so you may request custom changes to your kit, to suit your needs. The equal length manifolds and true merged collectors will help the K-Series enthusiast to achieve his/her goals as efficiently as possible, extracting the most power per pound of boost of any of the available kits.

Full-Race turbo kits are designed for those who are serious about tuning their kits and are not willing to settle for anything less than top quality, as the kits will prove to be some of the highest priced systems available for the K-series family of vehicles, with quality comes a premium.

The Full-Race kits will not include any fuel enrichment devices, so the tuner will need to seek out the engine management system of their choice.

Buy with confidence, as you will certainly not need to “upgrade” any component of the kit in short order.

Greddy kit is a good, well rounded kit featuring a nicely sized turbo designed to produce great gains in the 7-10psi range. It comes with the Greddy E-Manage tuning solution which offers the user a nice preprogramed map for stock boost levels, but the option to tune it yourself and add on further options to tweak your tune. The base kit does not come with an intercooler or blow off valve (BOV), but those are things you can add on at a later date, or purchace the Greddy Intercooler kit, which comes with all the piping and accessories needed to mount the intercooler. The kit does have problems with the oil lines but solutions are becoming available in the form of aftermarket braided oil line kits. Users have had significant gains when switching the e-manage for hondata k-pro.

The HKS kit is relatively new and is still widely unused, partly due to its high cost. Similar to the greddy kit, it is designed for relatively low boost settings with relatively little upgradeablitiy. This kit is very well engineered and setup as a relatively high end solution for lower boost needs. It uses a GT2835 ball-bearing turbo for longer turbo life, an internal wastegate setup, and a HKS SSQV BOV. No fuel / engine management system is supplied, although HKS recomends their own HKS F-con Vpro. Greddy e-manage and Hondata k-pro are alternatives for engine management. An intercooler is available seperately from HKS if you wish to have one and not custom fabricate your own.

RevHard [i do not know enough about the Rev Hard kit to feel comfortable writing anything on it. If somebody with more knowledge would be willing to create a Rev hard writeup, I would appreciate it.]

Putting a turbo system on any car that did not come from the factory designed for Forced Induction (f/i) is never something that should be looked at as being 'easy' or 'cheap'. If you try to make a budget turbo kit and do not make wise decisions regarding your component choices, you will end up dissatisfied. More times than not, the costs required to build your own turbo kit is equal to, or greater than the costs of purchacing a completed kit to begin with. This is in no way meant to throw off people from trying to build their own kit, merely letting them know what they are getting into.

The most important aspect in your turbo kit will be the engine management system that either comes with it or you choose on your own. There is much debate over the available engine management systems, and the important thing is to do your own research and find what you feel works for you given your needs, tuning knowledge, and price range. The ECU and Electronics Forum is a great place to begin researching available tuning options.

If anybody has any information / corrections to make, please feel free to do so... I did this fairly quickly so errors are probably there. Please point them out and we will perfect this thing. Lets make a good thread that can be used to suppress these redundant threads.

Last edited by Full Race Geoff; 12-19-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Arctic04S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
MrBurner
Traction is for pussies

MrBurner is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i'm going to go ahead and sticky this (and change the thread title)

but i appreciate the great unbiased writeup

please note, i'd like this thread to remain question and clutter free, but if you have any unbiased information to add to this thread about these turbo kits or about another turbo kit, feel free to add it

as i said, the goal is to make this thread as clutter free as possible, so any useless comments or arguments/flame wars will be deleted

that said, i'd love to see reviews of the full-race kit, the one-fab kit, the SCI kit, etc. etc.

if you are going to do a review, please try to keep it in a similar format as Arctic04S's post...tell the pro's and con's of the kit (as everything has pro's and con's)

but Arctic04S, great thread idea... and +rep for you

Car is totalled - everything must go
EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE - NEW FOR SALE PAGE JUST CREATED 01/28/06 - TONS OF RSX PARTS FOR SALE OFF MY TOTALLED TURBOCHARGED RSX-S

www.mrburner.com

KPRO IS SOLD
MrBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
Arctic04S
Master Member

Manufacture links added with permission from Chris, manufacturers ordered alphabetically to remove any preferencial ordering, SCI turbokit thread linked, boost dyno thread linked... Anything else you guys would like to see?

Last edited by Arctic04S; 05-13-2005 at 11:00 PM..
Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
Slk-Dc5

Slk-Dc5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i want to build my own turbo kit...but its gunna be hard tryn to figure out wut i all need to do..n which pieces are best....any help...im all ears...

Slk-Dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
MrBurner
Traction is for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slk-Dc5
i want to build my own turbo kit...but its gunna be hard tryn to figure out wut i all need to do..n which pieces are best....any help...im all ears...

by build your own turbo kit, do you mean make a manifold and downpipe and then buy a turbo, injectors, fuel management, etc. or do you also want to buy a manifold and downpipe from some company?

EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE - NEW FOR SALE PAGE JUST CREATED 01/28/06 - TONS OF RSX PARTS FOR SALE OFF MY TOTALLED TURBOCHARGED RSX-S

www.mrburner.com

KPRO IS SOLD
Old 07-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #6
dzik4

dzik4 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeA...bochargers.pdf
dzik4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
RSXMidnight03

RSXMidnight03 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
After reviewing the sites, it looks like only Cybernation offers a turbo kit for the base Acura RSX 2003 model... It also notes that the kit is not street legal.

Can anyone link me to a few different kits that are street legal for a base Acura RSX 2003?

Thanks a ton. -RSXMidnight03-
RSXMidnight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:20 PM   #8
MrBurner
Traction is for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXMidnight03
After reviewing the sites, it looks like only Cybernation offers a turbo kit for the base Acura RSX 2003 model... It also notes that the kit is not street legal.

Can anyone link me to a few different kits that are street legal for a base Acura RSX 2003?

Thanks a ton. -RSXMidnight03-
there aren't any

www.mrburner.com

KPRO IS SOLD
Old 07-31-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
ForbiddenPresence

ForbiddenPresence is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
On GReddy's site it mentions that many of their kits are CARB 50-State legal. Does that include it's kit for the 02-04 RSX-S? What makes a turbo kit illegal in California? Thanks for the help in advance.

Mods: 0w-30 Mobil 1 (love that shit..adds like 10 hp ), Injen SRI, Type-R Spoiler, Tein SS-P coilovers, 4-point sabelt seatbelts, 18" Tenzo RS5's spinning on Hankook Ventus Sport K104's, and of course, got my tint on.
ForbiddenPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
Arctic04S
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenPresence
On GReddy's site it mentions that many of their kits are CARB 50-State legal. Does that include it's kit for the 02-04 RSX-S? What makes a turbo kit illegal in California? Thanks for the help in advance.
I don't think that they have got CARB aproval yet.

And it is illegal in california because it is not CARB approved...
Old 08-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #11
ForbiddenPresence

what part of the turbo kit stops it from passing emissions?

and

Many of the kits are covered under CARB E.O. numbers which make them 50-state street legal. - taken from GReddy's site

Mods: 0w-30 Mobil 1 (love that shit..adds like 10 hp ), Injen SRI, Type-R Spoiler, Tein SS-P coilovers, 4-point sabelt seatbelts, 18" Tenzo RS5's spinning on Hankook Ventus Sport K104's, and of course, got my tint on.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
Arctic04S
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenPresence
what part of the turbo kit stops it from passing emissions?

and

Many of the kits are covered under CARB E.O. numbers which make them 50-state street legal. - taken from GReddy's site

the RSX Greddy kit isn't CARB legal yet... they had to resubmit the paperwork and it hasn't gone through yet.

the fact that you are changing the injectors is a large part of the problem with passing carb
Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #13
RSXMidnight03

RSXMidnight03 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurner
there aren't any
So I take that as... "No turbo for me unless I upgrade to the S-Type down the road, or never pass emissions testing! LOL" Crap...

What to do... What to do...
RSXMidnight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #14
MrBurner
Traction is for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXMidnight03
So I take that as... "No turbo for me unless I upgrade to the S-Type down the road, or never pass emissions testing! LOL" Crap...

What to do... What to do...
there aren't any PERIOD

not for the base or the type s

www.mrburner.com

KPRO IS SOLD
Old 08-05-2005, 02:48 AM   #15
fezz93

fezz93 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I have been reading all that I can on FI and I have decided to go with the Greddy kit. The questions I have are..... the kit doesn't come with a BOV and wondering if I need to have it right away? The oil lines are stated as being a concern, so where can I find better ones? Do I need to get gauges right away and if so which ones are essential? Thanks
fezz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #16
ForbiddenPresence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezz93
I have been reading all that I can on FI and I have decided to go with the Greddy kit. The questions I have are..... the kit doesn't come with a BOV and wondering if I need to have it right away? The oil lines are stated as being a concern, so where can I find better ones? Do I need to get gauges right away and if so which ones are essential? Thanks
the greddy kit comes complete. you will probably want a boost gauge as well though. BOV is not necessary either except it sounds awesome

Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #17
fezz93

fezz93 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I bought a BOV and flange today and now I am wondering .....Does it matter where I mount it?
Thanks
fezz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:01 AM   #18
Arctic04S
Master Member

a few of the greddy pics i have seen have it mounted on that little TB elbow (the one that says GREDDY on it)...
Old 08-10-2005, 12:20 AM   #19
APrati
a carnivore

APrati is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I'm considering a turbo for my '02 type S and I'm also looking to hear from anyone with the Rev Hard kit or the HKS kit. Preferably someone with dyno stats?

Last edited by APrati; 07-31-2006 at 07:41 PM..
APrati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #20
elo's rsx
ELO'S RSX

elo's rsx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Turbo 05 Rsx Base

Anyone Have Any News On 05 Rsx (base) Turbo Kits?
elo's rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #21
ForbiddenPresence

i honestly don't think it's worth it to put a turbo kit on a base. there are many that have done it and regret it. i know that cybernation has one. yeahi had it on his car and regreted it. he got a type-s after he totaled it and put a turbo kit on that car. makes more sense imo to upgrade cars first.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #22
josue_rsx_type-s
HO-SWAY

josue_rsx_type-s is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
can anyone list the reasons on why a turbo kit on the rsx wont pass inspection ? (plan to get the hks kit)
A new story has begun
2002 SSM RSX Type-S, SOLD
josue_rsx_type-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #23
JMBare
I love Audi Junkie!!!

JMBare is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by josue_rsx_type-s
can anyone list the reasons on why a turbo kit on the rsx wont pass inspection ? (plan to get the hks kit)
There are many reasons, but there are two primaries are: 1.) It is illegal to modify your car exhaust components, between the head and the catalytic converter, unless making a repair with components of OEM design. 2.) Adding a turbo kit requires altering your fuel delivery system, which is also a big no no. Some manufacturers can get "CARB" approval, which technically means nothing to people living outside of California, by producing a fuel enrichment system which is not user changeable and getting a vehicle equipped with said system passed by the California Air Resource Board.

It is very possible to "pass" a well tuned aftermarket turbo equipped vehicle, which still has its CAT in place, via various "sniffer" tests, but they will most likely fail a visual inspection, as soon as the testing officer pops the hood and notices the modifications.

Fortunately, many states no longer bother with neither a visual examination, nor a "sniffer" test on OBD-II equipped vehicles, they simply test your car, by plugging in to the diagnostic port, and reading the readiness codes. Many of the aftermarket turbo kits and fuel management systems out there will interfere with your cars ability to develop the necessary codes to pass this test, and therefore your car will fail. As far as my knowledge serves, Hondata's K-Pro is the only engine management system which will allow you to pass the "plug in" test.

Hope this helps answer your question, be well...

-JMS
Old 09-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #24
hctr
hctr

hctr is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
nice
hctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:02 PM   #25
import_nation
black!

import_nation has disabled reputation
you could always pay the mechanic off.. i think thats the easiest way