K20z1 cams ??? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > All Motor RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 12-28-2016, 02:35 AM   #1
rnb754

rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
K20z1 cams ???

Hey guys,

I'm trying to identify the k20z1 cams. I picked this up for cheap so I figured I try it. I took some pics of my k20a2 cams and the k20z1 cams. What markings or stamp can I look for? I did searching already but the thread is so old that it doesn't show me any pictures.

Thanks for your help
rnb754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
remyrounds
Site Sponsor

remyrounds is an unknown quantity on c-rsx

'
They will look just like this
Old 12-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
rnb754

rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rnb754 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by remyrounds View Post

'
They will look just like this
I did some research before posting and everyone said that those would be the type-r and not the k20z1.
rnb754 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
koncept88
DC5

koncept88 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx koncept88 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx koncept88 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx koncept88 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx koncept88 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx koncept88 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx koncept88 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx koncept88 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Not worth swapping into our k20a2, you can measure the cam lobes for the primary, secondary, and vtec lobe, but I bet not really a performance gain.
koncept88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnb754 View Post
I did some research before posting and everyone said that those would be the type-r and not the k20z1.
Not jibing, but in your research, didn't you find that the K20Z1 cams are the Type R cams? I mean, not literally part code wise, but spec wise they are known to be like equivalents, and can be tuned exactly the same (no?).
Old 01-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
cblack360
06 RSX TYPE S *bone stock

cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
Not jibing, but in your research, didn't you find that the K20Z1 cams are the Type R cams? I mean, not literally part code wise, but spec wise they are known to be like equivalents, and can be tuned exactly the same (no?).
That's what I thought ....
cblack360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:49 PM   #7
glenn.yin6

glenn.yin6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx glenn.yin6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx glenn.yin6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx glenn.yin6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx glenn.yin6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx glenn.yin6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx glenn.yin6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx glenn.yin6 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yo

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
glenn.yin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
redone13

redone13 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx redone13 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx redone13 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx redone13 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx redone13 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx redone13 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx redone13 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx redone13 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
From my understanding, the Z1 cams are not as good as the ITR but better than the A2 cams. That is why people usually say either use the ITR or 06+ TSX cams if upgrading to an OEM cam.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
Kevink121
#Inkpot

Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member
K20a>/=K20a2>K20z1

Itr is basically equal to the a2, no real discernible difference or point in paying more for the itr cams. K20z1 is after those two.

I went to go check that I was right on this and I'm not finding anything definitive. (too many threads pointless threads clogging up the search results........)

In any case I always had it in my mind that "K20a>/=K20a2>K20z1" was basically the 01-06 hierarchy of K20 cams.

Annnnnnnd now that I reread the OP I realize my post is off topic anyways. Just ignore me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl85 View Post
I'm done breaking gears bro

Last edited by Kevink121; 01-24-2017 at 10:20 AM..
Kevink121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
dc5cbc05
Master Member

dc5cbc05 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
irongumby is right. The ITR and Z1 cams are identical it's been discussed and case closed many of times. and they are a cheap drop in cam alternative for the A2 if you have them laying around and want any bit of gain you can squeeze for a baller on a budget. The TSX cams are a little bit more of a bump but usually have an overrated price tag for OEM cams. My buddy had a base with the type s conversion headwork. made 176 or so on the A2's then 189 on the Z1 cams and then 225 on kelford drop in cams and a few other changes.
dc5cbc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #11
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It has always been my understanding the 10hp bump from 1st gen (A2) to 2nd gen (Z1) was the cams and the slightly larger exhaust. There's nothing else that really changed powertrain-wise (excluding the final drive which doesn't affect the dyno), which is why people do cam swaps to the K20A2's instead of buying a whole K20A motor. All you need is a PRC or RBC!

Anyways, can't help the OP on the actual question, lol
Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 AM   #12
KillaLude
Need Something 2 wheeled

KillaLude is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevink121 View Post
K20a>/=K20a2>K20z1

Itr is basically equal to the a2, no real discernible difference or point in paying more for the itr cams. K20z1 is after those two.

I went to go check that I was right on this and I'm not finding anything definitive. (too many threads pointless threads clogging up the search results........)

In any case I always had it in my mind that "K20a>/=K20a2>K20z1" was basically the 01-06 hierarchy of K20 cams.

Annnnnnnd now that I reread the OP I realize my post is off topic anyways. Just ignore me
you are actually backwards A2 cams are marked PRB Z1 cams are PRC (type R) cams.The cams and bigger exhaust is why in 05 the RSX bumped to 210hp till they revamped the way they figure HP is 06 and dropped it to 201. the only reason the Z1 makes less power then a K20A ITR is it has 11.7:1 ish compression the Z1 has 11:1

To help the OP Z1 cams look just like Type R cams unless my car just cam with Type R cams
KillaLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #13
Koopa Troopa

Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaLude View Post
you are actually backwards A2 cams are marked PRB Z1 cams are PRC (type R) cams.The cams and bigger exhaust is why in 05 the RSX bumped to 210hp till they revamped the way they figure HP is 06 and dropped it to 201. the only reason the Z1 makes less power then a K20A ITR is it has 11.7:1 ish compression the Z1 has 11:1

To help the OP Z1 cams look just like Type R cams unless my car just cam with Type R cams
Due to the better quality of Japanese high octane pump gas (95 AKI), I guarantee you the stock ITR timing map is a little more aggressive than the K20Z1.
Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #14
KillaLude
Need Something 2 wheeled

KillaLude is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa View Post
Due to the better quality of Japanese high octane pump gas (95 AKI), I guarantee you the stock ITR timing map is a little more aggressive than the K20Z1.
you may be right about the gas but all the info I gather says 93 is the same as 100 in Europe and 95 in japan. But im sure there are tune differences being an ITR is a more aggressive car.
KillaLude is offline   Reply With Quote