Bone stock type s ... just making sure I am making good choices ... - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 12-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
cblack360
06 RSX TYPE S *bone stock

cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Bone stock type s ... just making sure I am making good choices ...

Ive been out of the tuner game for a minute. I had a 00 Si , but now I have this badass little beauty! Decided on the injen cai for sure ... its pretty cheap. Trying to decide if I should just go ahead and do headers, exhaust , intake manifold and cai. I want kpro but that will have to wait for a little bit. So Im asking on advice on what brands to stick with on what part. I want power ... but I have to have the mid range so for the headers im thinking 4-2-1 ktuned or dc sports ....? Thinking about the skunk 2 pro intake manifold and hks hi power exhaust. Thoughts appreciated
cblack360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
peterrpham
Du ma

peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I'd recommend getting Kpro first before getting everything else. If you have all those mods you listed without a tune, your car may run like ass

Pham's 6spd Base | IG: peterrpham
peterrpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #3
cblack360

cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cblack360 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I understand where you are coming from kinda ... but that's the beauty of bolt ons and since when does a car run weird with upgraded exhaust and intake??? That's a lot of money to spend on kpro with no mods ... I want the sound and power now lol. So just buy kpro and sit on it?

Old 12-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
DC5Sandbag

DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblack360 View Post
I understand where you are coming from kinda ... but that's the beauty of bolt ons and since when does a car run weird with upgraded exhaust and intake??? That's a lot of money to spend on kpro with no mods ... I want the sound and power now lol. So just buy kpro and sit on it?
It won’t hurt anything to install a CAI and a cat-back exhaust system before getting Kpro. When you get ready to install a race header, then I recommend also installing Kpro and get a tune at the same time. Like others have mention, you won't be able to enjoy the full benefit of your bolt-ons until you get a custom tune. Before spending money on an aftermarket intake I would get Kpro first.
DC5Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
cblack360

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Sandbag View Post
It won’t hurt anything to install a CAI and a cat-back exhaust system before getting Kpro. When you get ready to install a race header, then I recommend also installing Kpro and get a tune at the same time. Like others have mention, you won't be able to enjoy the full benefit of your bolt-ons until you get a custom tune. Before spending money on an aftermarket intake I would get Kpro first.
ok .. noted it makes since ... any more suggestions ?
Old 12-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #6
DC5Sandbag

DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
I know I'm repeating myself but just remember that the K20A2 engine needs to breath. Keep the incoming air supply as cool “dense” as possible. For now avoid spending your $$ on a larger throttle body, intake manifold, fuel rail, or cams. As you already know your engine is constipated and I would invest next in a catback exhaust system (70 mm minimum) and a good header (don’t forget motor mounts or at least inserts). Yes KPro is expensive. You can start with a CPU reflash and later upgrade to KPro. I started off with a reflash, but if I had to do it again I would get KPro to begin with. For less than $200 you can get a good custom etune from a tuner that truly understands how to safety tune your K20 to its full power potential. Once you reach this point of your engine build, it will be time to make a decision if you want to stay all engine or if you want to go with force induction.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I know I'm repeating myself too, haha, but if you have an 06 (K20Z1), Ktuner end user is cheaper than Kpro. And it uses the stock Primary O2 sensor and ECU unlike 05-06 Kpro.

I would get the Injen CAI for sure and yeah 65mm catback is probably good enough but what really wakes the car up is the 4-2-1 header and tune like you say. A lot of people go it with the PLM header but Invidia makes a nice one and OBX is the most affordable. Later on consider a PRC or RBC intake mani
Old 12-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
cblack360

ok guys appreciate the input and I put in my order in. I decided to go with the HKS 32003-Bh003 Hi-Power Exhaust. 60mm piping , 115mm muffler tip (catback) ... Injen CAI. All should be here on Tuesday hopefully. There is also a shop here that will do the kpro in house and tone it for 6 hrs for 700 bucks. I feel like that is a hell of a deal and I wont have to go without my ecu for a few days. So I have to schedule an appointment with them but that will be done ASAP. I am so freaking excited lol. I cant stand it
Old 12-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
cblack360

Not really any other reason to mention this other than the fact that my little girl is turing into a woman bahahahaha .... but I got the windows tinted last night too
Old 12-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
cblack360

Quote:
I know I'm repeating myself but just remember that the K20A2 engine needs to breath. Keep the incoming air supply as cool “dense” as possible. For now avoid spending your $$ on a larger throttle body, intake manifold, fuel rail, or cams. As you already know your engine is constipated and I would invest next in a catback exhaust system (70 mm minimum) and a good header (don’t forget motor mounts or at least inserts). Yes KPro is expensive. You can start with a CPU reflash and later upgrade to KPro. I started off with a reflash, but if I had to do it again I would get KPro to begin with. For less than $200 you can get a good custom etune from a tuner that truly understands how to safety tune your K20 to its full power potential. Once you reach this point of your engine build, it will be time to make a decision if you want to stay all engine or if you want to go with force induction.
I was gonna say this earlier but I forgot ... I have the k20z1
Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
DC5Sandbag

Garage
Quote:
I was gonna say this earlier but I forgot ... I have the k20z1
No problem - I just saw the “06 RSX” located under your name. Overall I'm just happy to see another car enthusiast moving forward with their modification plan. You won’t be disappointed with how your engine will perform.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
cblack360

Quote:
No problem - I just saw the “06 RSX” located under your name. Overall I'm just happy to see another car enthusiast moving forward with their modification plan. You won’t be disappointed with how your engine will perform.
I cant wait I am so freaking excited! Exhaust will be here and put on tomorrow, hopefully the intake will arrive with it. And what do you think about the deal with the kpro and the tune for 700?or
Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
DC5Sandbag

Garage
Quote:
I cant wait I am so freaking excited! Exhaust will be here and put on tomorrow, hopefully the intake will arrive with it. And what do you think about the deal with the kpro and the tune for 700?or
$700 for KPro upgrade and a tune sounds too good to be true. To start with they will need a 02-04 ECU donor. Next they will need to modify/convert the donor ECU with an adapter plug harness (Hondata wants $845 to do the mods). Now add the tuner’s time. You will also need a 02-04 oxygen sensor, or for better results a AEM digital wideband O2 AFR UEGO gauge, air/fuel ratio controller & sensor (some tuners won’t touch your car unless you have the AEM unit). I would ask your local shop for more details about the KPro upgrade and the tune just to make sure you and them are on the same page.

Edit: Are sure they weren't quoting you KTune instead of KPro?

Last edited by DC5Sandbag; 01-02-2017 at 07:10 PM..
Old 01-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
cblack360

Quote:
$700 for KPro upgrade and a tune sounds too good to be true. To start with they will need a 02-04 ECU donor. Next they will need to modify/convert the donor ECU with an adapter plug harness (Hondata wants $845 to do the mods). Now add the tuner’s time. You will also need a 02-04 oxygen sensor, or for better results a AEM digital wideband O2 AFR UEGO gauge, air/fuel ratio controller & sensor (some tuners won’t touch your car unless you have the AEM unit). I would ask your local shop for more details about the KPro upgrade and the tune just to make sure you and them are on the same page.

Edit: Are sure they weren't quoting you KTune instead of KPro?
No ... My buddy runs a shop down here and he knows the tuner at RLZ, he said that they do all of the mods in house and he had an 06 si that they tuned and put kpro on, but he traded it for a Altima SE-R. After putting the intake and exhaust on last night ... he wants another Honda bahahaha
Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
cblack360

So he is giving me quite a good deal from what im understanding .....
Old 01-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
cblack360

ok so another stupid question ... I didn't realize when I bought the cai from injen that it would be so open to get water in it. I know there has been lots of questions about whether its necessary to have a hydroshield. I was under the impression that you would have to completely submerge the intake into water and if the engine stalls trying to restart it while submerged would cause the motor to lock up. I live in North Carolina ... so its not like we get crazy weather, but the nagging threat still exist to me. I didn't buy the hydro shield ... would it be something that I should go ahead and just buy it? also heard that it effects the HP gains from the intake also. And FYI - I know there is a forum already about this because ive read a little bit from it but couldn't find it again. Please don't rip me up ... just help a brother out. Should I be worried and go ahead and buy it or is it really not that big of a deal?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #17
peterrpham
Du ma

peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx peterrpham is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
If it's just rain and no huge puddles, you will be able to get away with using only a hydroshield, and even better if you have the panels still intact under the bumper and your fender liner. People think hydroshields are the holy grail that will prevent hydrolocks completely but that's pretty much bullshit.

I once was forced into driving into a huge "lake" but was really only 3-4 inches deep. However with everyone driving like idiots, water slooshed up everywhere and though I was cruising through it and barely tapping the throttle, I stalled out. Thought I got raped so I towed my car home, changed oil, spark plugs and luckily found no damage done. At the time, I did not run a hydroshield. Would that have happened if I had one? Who knows lol

So to answer your question, it IS possible to stall out even though it doesn't completely submerge, but it won't necessarily mean you bent a rod or damaged the motor. But yes, if you do find yourself in a situation where the intake is completely submerged, it won't be fun. And yes, if you try starting your car while it's submerged, that's pretty much a dead car.

Pham's 6spd Base | IG: peterrpham
peterrpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #18
cblack360

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrpham View Post
If it's just rain and no huge puddles, you will be able to get away with using only a hydroshield, and even better if you have the panels still intact under the bumper and your fender liner. People think hydroshields are the holy grail that will prevent hydrolocks completely but that's pretty much bullshit.

I once was forced into driving into a huge "lake" but was really only 3-4 inches deep. However with everyone driving like idiots, water slooshed up everywhere and though I was cruising through it and barely tapping the throttle, I stalled out. Thought I got raped so I towed my car home, changed oil, spark plugs and luckily found no damage done. At the time, I did not run a hydroshield. Would that have happened if I had one? Who knows lol

So to answer your question, it IS possible to stall out even though it doesn't completely submerge, but it won't necessarily mean you bent a rod or damaged the motor. But yes, if you do find yourself in a situation where the intake is completely submerged, it won't be fun. And yes, if you try starting your car while it's submerged, that's pretty much a dead car.
so ... I guess you are saying to run the hydro shield?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #19
DC5Sandbag

Garage
Quote:
so ... I guess you are saying to run the hydro shield?
It’s best to run with the hydroshield for a couple reasons. First it will keep the filter material cleaner by not allowing bugs and other crap from being sucked into the folds of the filter. The shield does help redirect water droplets from saturating the filter material itself. Having the bumper air duct covers/fog lights in place help reduce rain/traffic splash from entering the filter location and water logging it. As for deep puddles, everyone should avoid driving through them to begin with. I’ve had my CAI for about three years without issues. One more thing on raining days I also avoid tailgating on the highway – why push your luck with that fine mist. I wouldn’t worry about the small amount of hp you will lose – the benefit of cool air out weighs it.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #20
Dieonne

Dieonne is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dieonne is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dieonne is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dieonne is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dieonne is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dieonne is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dieonne is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dieonne is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
As sandbag stated avoid the tailgating and you'll be ok from water soaking CAI from the front of car. As for behind the intake (the fender liner side) it is wise to have your fender liner in and cut a hole into it to fit the CAI if possible as your tire can fling water onto the filter if the liner is not there. So if you are too low for fender liner at least try to make some type of cover between back of filter and front of front tire. In my personal exp. when I had CAI I had 2-3 scares where I thought I hydrolocked. My filter got soaked cause I had no fender liners and when it got soaked it was pretty much being choked out of air and engine would bog down and die. Each time this happened the one thing that always messed up was my 02 sensor (the cheaper one I don't remember if it's primary or secondary) and I would have to go buy a new one. Also I had hydroshield and it didn't seem to mess with my HP any.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #21
DC5Sandbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieonne View Post
As sandbag stated avoid the tailgating and you'll be ok from water soaking CAI from the front of car. As for behind the intake (the fender liner side) it is wise to have your fender liner in and cut a hole into it to fit the CAI if possible as your tire can fling water onto the filter if the liner is not there. So if you are too low for fender liner at least try to make some type of cover between back of filter and front of front tire. In my personal exp. when I had CAI I had 2-3 scares where I thought I hydrolocked. My filter got soaked cause I had no fender liners and when it got soaked it was pretty much being choked out of air and engine would bog down and die. Each time this happened the one thing that always messed up was my 02 sensor (the cheaper one I don't remember if it's primary or secondary) and I would have to go buy a new one. Also I had hydroshield and it didn't seem to mess with my HP any.
^^^
Old 01-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #22
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
ok so another stupid question ... about whether its necessary to have a hydroshield ... would it be something that I should go ahead and just buy it? also heard that it effects the HP gains from the intake also.
Quote:
It’s best to run with the hydroshield for a couple reasons. First it will keep the filter material cleaner by not allowing bugs and other crap from being sucked into the folds of the filter. The shield does help redirect water droplets from saturating the filter material itself. Having the bumper air duct covers/fog lights in place help reduce rain/traffic splash from entering the filter location and water logging it. ... I wouldn’t worry about the small amount of hp you will lose – the benefit of cool air out weighs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieonne View Post
... As for behind the intake (the fender liner side) it is wise to have your fender liner in and cut a hole into it to fit the CAI if possible as your tire can fling water onto the filter if the liner is not there. ... My filter got soaked cause I had no fender liners and when it got soaked it was pretty much being choked out of air and engine would bog down and die. Each time this happened the one thing that always messed up was my 02 sensor (the cheaper one I don't remember if it's primary or secondary) and I would have to go buy a new one. Also I had hydroshield and it didn't seem to mess with my HP any.
Yeah keep that fender liner! Just cut a hole in it per the instructions. Oh also, sometimes you can dry out the Primary O2 sensor if you drive long enough to roast out the moisture, if it really made it that far. Code P1172 is the one I'm talking about (if you get P1166 or P1167, I think it's fried and must be replaced).

Just buy one if for no other reason that you have to remove your bumper to access the filter to clean it (no?). So the hydroshield will buy you some extra time between cleanings, and probably longevity as well (protect from salt, etc.). Plus it kinda resists/reflects water somewhat (well obviously, "hydroshield" lol). Idk if anybody really notices any HP loss from it. The CAI temps is king, like you guys said.

Last edited by IronGumby; 01-16-2017 at 12:29 PM..
IronGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #23
02s2knick

02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 02s2knick is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i would seriously consider k tune. you can pick up K tune for your car for $500. I just picked up a 04 Type S last week (had a 02 in the past). It has a CAI, and apexi WS2 with a stock header. I drove it 1 day, hated not having Kpro.. And sent the ECU yesterday to hondata. I LOVED kpro it makes the car COMPLETELY different once tuned correctly.
99 Camry - (totaled) plate&6 screws in my forearm
02Rsx-s -- sold!
02 S2k-- sold
02s2knick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #24
dudenhymer

dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dudenhymer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I've read more people having issues with the SRI than the CAI when it comes to getting water into the engine. Tires splash water up onto the filter while turning maybe. If SRI filter gets wet enough then it will just run down into the engine because of the way it's routed. At least with a CAI it needs to be sucked up. I know i soak my injen cai filter on a regular basis, never have issues just can't hear VTEC transition through the intake until it dries. I just refrain from driving the piss out of it when I know it's wet.
dudenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #25
cblack360

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenhymer View Post
I've read more people having issues with the SRI than the CAI when it comes to getting water into the engine. Tires splash water up onto the filter while turning maybe. If SRI filter gets wet enough then it will just run down into the engine because of the way it's routed. At least with a CAI it needs to be sucked up. I know i soak my injen cai filter on a regular basis, never have issues just can't hear VTEC transition through the intake until it dries. I just refrain from driving the piss out of it when I know it's wet.
facts