Aquarium Crew 21 - Neverending Builds, Nate's Killer Fish & Seamonster Puffers - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OFF TOPIC > Off Topic Forums > The Lounge
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
NirvanaandTool
Running from the Blerch

NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with
Aquarium Crew 21 - Neverending Builds, Nate's Killer Fish & Seamonster Puffers

And begin! Noticed we needed a new thread.

From the last thread:
NirvanaandTool 477
pandjpudge 425
Spoolin4Door 277
timothybui 228
rantav 203
Inlimbo87 67
zkmfdmz 60
josolanes 28
05Aucrarsx 20
Down_Shift 18
itskien 10
XG624 7
RecaroCostsTooMuch 6
UNC_xL 4
fbmbmx151 4
mallen600 4
GradyBaby16 4
Stoke 2
jaguer8 2
2010 admin 2
Kz-Life 1
Agent Smith 1
VQGT 1

Winnar winnar chicken dinnar

Anyone buy their tank any christmas presents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itskien View Post
Totally :Ralph: status.
Looks sick though.

Last edited by NirvanaandTool; 12-17-2013 at 08:00 AM..
NirvanaandTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
XG624
OG Base Crew

XG624 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
As the newbie I didn't want to be the one to make the new thread but been looking for it

Still need to figure out my feeding situation for next months vacation. So far limiting the lighting in my tank has greatly reduced the algae production in the water. Derp move but I'm learning...Would also like to switch over to an LED strip

Trying to save up for some of these pieces for my setup

Plenty available online, but shipping kills ya. Still meaning to check a local exotic aquarium shop here but tight on funds

XG624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
pandjpudge
Cool as Ice Tea

pandjpudge is on a distinguished road pandjpudge is on a distinguished road
New thread, just par-fect lolz

So I noticed some algae on my plants, cutting back on fertz. Dropping it down back to 1ml. Part of my moss is over grown and floats. Need to trim and re-tie that bit down. Guess I'll snap some pics tonight.
pandjpudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
NirvanaandTool
Running from the Blerch

NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with NirvanaandTool is a name not to mess with
Looks like SW dry reef rock. I've used it in my builds but be careful of trapped phosphates. I'm fighting a battle now with them.

Decided I'm combining the 2 tanks after the holidays. The cube is really going downhill algaewise without a skimmer on it. I'll rinse all the sand and rock and combine everything into the 40. Might be pretty full with rock but the wasps wont mind.

Quote:
Looks sick though.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
itskien
Doesn't Give A F*ck

itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with
i'll be in for the killer builds.

Empty Tank Crew #1
Twitter: KiensAJauk
Instagram / Snapchat: ItsKien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianK View Post
kien you fat fuck, no set of wings can lift your cinna bun ass up to heaven anyway.
itskien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
2010 admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG624 View Post
As the newbie I didn't want to be the one to make the new thread but been looking for it

Still need to figure out my feeding situation for next months vacation. So far limiting the lighting in my tank has greatly reduced the algae production in the water. Derp move but I'm learning...Would also like to switch over to an LED strip

Trying to save up for some of these pieces for my setup

Plenty available online, but shipping kills ya. Still meaning to check a local exotic aquarium shop here but tight on funds
Come down to central TX. You can get as much of that holey rock as you want, for free...

Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
XG624
OG Base Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 admin View Post
Come down to central TX. You can get as much of that holey rock as you want, for free...

That's it. Plenty of people make a killing off them on ebay. Makes for a nice cichlid setup IMO. The shipping is what kills me

Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
2010 admin

I will tell you that the stuff is heavy as hell. Not like reef base. I have one piece that weighs probably 100 lbs. Dragged it 1/4 mile off the contruction site but wanted it that bad...

What they do is bulldoze this stuff into a pile wherever they are grading for new construction, then just haul it away to some landfill. I swoop in there and get it before they do. Otherwise, it just goes to waste.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
timothybui

timothybui is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I'm going to redo my nano for 2014.

Removing the pink fiji sand I have and reducing the amount of LR I have in the display and probably will smash them into smaller pieces for the refugium. Decided I wanted black live sand

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hawaii...reef-sand.html

I like this because it's not so fine versus what I have now.

BTW! Congrats to Ian on being a future daddy!
You just introduced him into a foreign land. What if I picked you up, put you in a bag and dropped you off in the middle of Compton. You'd hide in the fucking plants too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin4Door View Post
South America is full of assholes that do just fine in tapwater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDizzle View Post
at first I thought you said, I really want tities.......then I read it again I realized I want titties
timothybui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
pandjpudge
Cool as Ice Tea

pandjpudge is on a distinguished road pandjpudge is on a distinguished road
Ian jr. on the way? I must've missed something. Congrats Ian!
pandjpudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
NirvanaandTool
Running from the Blerch

Ian Jr? Little frag on the way? Congrats buddy!

Tim I think I'm going to redo my sand too. I want something not as fine as well. I cant keep sand on the bottom of my 40 in spots cause it just gets blown around like crazy.

for 2014 rebuilds and new builds!

Quote:
Looks sick though.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
VQGT
everyday i'm trolling

VQGT is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaandTool View Post
Ian Jr? Little frag on the way? Congrats buddy!

Tim I think I'm going to redo my sand too. I want something not as fine as well. I cant keep sand on the bottom of my 40 in spots cause it just gets blown around like crazy.

for 2014 rebuilds and new builds!
What type of sand are you using? Not sure if it's the same for SW as for FW, but pool filter sand stays put.

And for 2014 rebuilds. Might upgrade the 125g lake tang tank to a 210g and add more petros!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
XG624
OG Base Crew

Gonna try to pick up a water test kit this weekend, did a water change last night to remove a lot of algae. Was clear right after but this morning it has a smokey color to it.

New to this hobby Gonna get a test kit though, been keeping to scheduled water changes thus far. Tank has been up for about 2 weeks now so I'm presuming it is part of the cycling phase? Test will help me confirm this. Have some extra money in the paycheck tomorrow so I'm gonna pick up an autofeeder for next months vacation and POSSIBLY...Some of that Texas rock

Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
VQGT
everyday i'm trolling

Quote:
Gonna try to pick up a water test kit this weekend, did a water change last night to remove a lot of algae. Was clear right after but this morning it has a smokey color to it.

New to this hobby Gonna get a test kit though, been keeping to scheduled water changes thus far. Tank has been up for about 2 weeks now so I'm presuming it is part of the cycling phase? Test will help me confirm this. Have some extra money in the paycheck tomorrow so I'm gonna pick up an autofeeder for next months vacation and POSSIBLY...Some of that Texas rock
Are you salt or fresh? Cloudy water is most likely a debris matter, not so much "water quality".
Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
XG624
OG Base Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQGT View Post
Are you salt or fresh? Cloudy water is most likely a debris matter, not so much "water quality".
Fresh water. Upgraded to a 75 gallon tank a couple weeks ago, transferred some (added a lot more) of the gravel from my old setup and cleaned all my plants and decorations prior (old gravel included). When you say debris, do you mean their food?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
VQGT
everyday i'm trolling

Quote:
Fresh water. Upgraded to a 75 gallon tank a couple weeks ago, transferred some (added a lot more) of the gravel from my old setup and cleaned all my plants and decorations prior (old gravel included). When you say debris, do you mean their food?
Yes, just debris in the water, i.e., food, waste, etc.
Then it's probably your filter(s). Which one(s) do you have? And what do you have in them?
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
XG624
OG Base Crew

Quote:
Yes, just debris in the water, i.e., food, waste, etc.
Then it's probably your filter(s). Which one(s) do you have? And what do you have in them?
Two Aquaclear 110's. One was brand new when the tank was setup two weeks ago, the other was used lightly on my 29G and I didn't change the media prior to install in an effort to carry over some of their bacteria. Each have a filter pad, carbon, ammonia layer. I changed the carry over one last weekend.

I could probably use some more bottom feeders, only have 2 cats and 2 loaches, 1 golden nugget pleco. I cut back on feeding. Was just odd that I fed them earlier yesterday, changed the water a few hours later, and it was clear for the night afterwards, then this morning it was cloudy gray.

Rest of the population is 5 parrot fish about 3 inches each and 3 angel fish around the same size.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
NirvanaandTool
Running from the Blerch

Quote:
What type of sand are you using? Not sure if it's the same for SW as for FW, but pool filter sand stays put.

And for 2014 rebuilds. Might upgrade the 125g lake tang tank to a 210g and add more petros!
Aragonite. I want something that is a larger grain size. Fine sand gets really blown around by the vortech and return pump in my tank and will be blown around even more in my 90 with 2 MP10s in synced flow.
I'm not sure if pool filter sand is ok in SW but aragonite helps buffer the tank. Has a lot of beneficial properties.

Quote:
Looks sick though.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
VQGT
everyday i'm trolling

Quote:
Two Aquaclear 110's. One was brand new when the tank was setup two weeks ago, the other was used lightly on my 29G and I didn't change the media prior to install in an effort to carry over some of their bacteria. Each have a filter pad, carbon, ammonia layer. I changed the carry over one last weekend.

I could probably use some more bottom feeders, only have 2 cats and 2 loaches. I cut back on feeding. Was just odd that I fed them earlier yesterday, changed the water a few hours later, and it was clear for the night afterwards, then this morning it was cloudy gray.

Rest of the population is 5 parrot fish about 3 inches each and 3 angel fish around the same size.
You need more mechanical filter media. I would pick up some blue foam filters (for pond usage), and cut to size to fit in your 110s, that's what I use. And add some micro polishing media, usually a LFS will have a giant bag of this stuff, looks like cotton.

Blue foam- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=25534
Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
VQGT
everyday i'm trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaandTool View Post
Aragonite. I want something that is a larger grain size. Fine sand gets really blown around by the vortech and return pump in my tank and will be blown around even more in my 90 with 2 MP10s in synced flow.
I'm not sure if pool filter sand is ok in SW but aragonite helps buffer the tank. Has a lot of beneficial properties.
I use Aragonite in my FW tank! It keeps my pH up high to make the Tang fish happy. I have a base layer of pool filter sand, 4" and the aragonite mix on top with about 2". I mix it up when I clean and do water changes and it never really moves.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
XG624
OG Base Crew

Quote:
You need more mechanical filter media. I would pick up some blue foam filters (for pond usage), and cut to size to fit in your 110s, that's what I use. And add some micro polishing media, usually a LFS will have a giant bag of this stuff, looks like cotton.

Blue foam- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=25534
Looks like I'll be ordering the blue foam tomorrow, thank you for the advice. I'm also gonna check locally today on lunch for both rather. would you recommend running one of those small submersible boxes with the cotton in it as well? I remember those from my 10g days but if that cotton would make a difference I'm for it. Only form of micropolishing media I'm coming across for my box filter could be the fluval biomax rings?

Last edited by XG624; 12-18-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
VQGT
everyday i'm trolling

Quote:
Looks like I'll be ordering the blue foam tomorrow, thank you for the advice. I'm also gonna check locally today on lunch for both rather. would you recommend running one of those small submersible boxes with the cotton in it as well? I remember those from my 10g days but if that cotton would make a difference I'm for it. Only form of micropolishing media I'm coming across for my box filter could be the fluval biomax rings?
Those box filters are good for small tanks, not a 75g. The biomax media is biological, not mechanical. Those have nothing to do with water filtering/clarity, only for good bacteria to colonize.

The cotton-looking media (which I think is actually polyester or something) will clear water right up.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
XG624
OG Base Crew

Quote:
Those box filters are good for small tanks, not a 75g. The biomax media is biological, not mechanical. Those have nothing to do with water filtering/clarity, only for good bacteria to colonize.

The cotton-looking media (which I think is actually polyester or something) will clear water right up.
Yea, I understand that. When you mentioned adding mico-polishing media as well as the blue pond sponge what would you suggest? From what I have come across the only micro polishing media out there are sponged made for canister filters. Sorry to sound naive, still very much new to all this but I appreciate your tips

Old 12-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
VQGT
everyday i'm trolling

Quote:
Yea, I understand that. When you mentioned adding mico-polishing media as well as the blue pond sponge what would you suggest? From what I have come across the only micro polishing media out there are sponged made for canister filters. Sorry to sound naive, still very much new to all this but I appreciate your tips
Yes, micro polishing media on top of the blue foam. You can never have too much filtering

You can still use that type of media, even if they are for canisters. Just cut to size. I have 4 AC110s on my 125g and I have never used AC or fluval branded media. I always buy the loose stuff and just cut to size and layer. Most of it is used for ponds but it comes in bulk and saves tons of money.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
XG624
OG Base Crew

Quote:
Yes, micro polishing media on top of the blue foam. You can never have too much filtering

You can still use that type of media, even if they are for canisters. Just cut to size. I have 4 AC110s on my 125g and I have never used AC or fluval branded media. I always buy the loose stuff and just cut to size and layer. Most of it is used for ponds but it comes in bulk and saves tons of money.
Ohhh I see now, wasn't sure if I was missing something haha.

I'll give the LFS a shot today on lunch and order up some stuff tomorrow if they don't have it. Yeah I'm also going to buy the regular media in bulk, I had 2 pads, 2 carbon, 2 ammonia packs given to me but when I saw the prices of premade vs bulk DIY media I knew which way I would be going.