Tapping VSS #1 (Yellow/Red Stripe) Dakota Digital EPS - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
burton5251

burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Tapping VSS #1 (Yellow/Red Stripe) Dakota Digital EPS

Setting up EPS in my 06. Can the VSS #1 power wire (Yellow/Red Stripe: A21) be tapped at the jumper harness to the switched 12 V (E9 Ig1) or does it need to be tapped at the connector on the tranny? I would like to avoid running a wire from the tranny to the jumper harness.
burton5251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
a4andy
dafuq?

a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
I skipped the Dakota digital all together on my 2006 and tapped the speed sensor into VSS OUT on the ECU. Rack turns on in a few seconds and haven't had any issues.

a4andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I'm not sure what you have done. But make sure you have enough power to actually run the steering system without blowing a fuse. And make sure it's protected with the correct fuse.
shoegazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #4
burton5251

burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx burton5251 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4andy View Post
I skipped the Dakota digital all together on my 2006 and tapped the speed sensor into VSS OUT on the ECU. Rack turns on in a few seconds and haven't had any issues.
So you tapped the VSS Sensor Signal (Blue A18) into VSS Out (Blue/White E26)?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #5
burton5251

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegazer View Post
I'm not sure what you have done. But make sure you have enough power to actually run the steering system without blowing a fuse. And make sure it's protected with the correct fuse.
I am following the DIY so I will be running a 4 gauge power line with a 60 amp in line fuse so in that aspect I am fine. I am just trying to clarify why multiple descriptions on the forum have the VSS #1 power wire (Yellow/Red Stripe: A21) tapped into a switched 12 V (E9 Ig1) when it already has 5V from the ECU. My understanding is adding 12V to A21 will damage all of the other sensors on the circuit since they all require 5V not 12V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCU Wiring.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	528497  

Last edited by burton5251; 02-28-2017 at 06:14 AM..
Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Gotcha'. I was confused as to where you were tapping actual the actual power to turn the PS motor.

If I can find the DIY thread; I'll take a peek re: your original question.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
burton5251

Quote:
Gotcha'. I was confused as to where you were tapping actual the actual power to turn the PS motor.

If I can find the DIY thread; I'll take a peek re: your original question.
These are the DIYs I followed

http://www.k-series.com/content.php?...ering-by-Erik-
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=738526
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=633396
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=732100

The last two have the wiring diagrams referencing what I am talking about...

Last edited by burton5251; 02-28-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

Okay. I may be really confused. And I've just now got my third cup of coffee on board. So if this sounds silly; please take all that into account.

I agree that sending 12 v down a wire that calls for 5v is not a good idea.

But the diagrams that I'm seeing for VSS on other Honda boards show 12v for the 'power' or 'supply' wire. The 5v goes back to the ECU in pulses that are converted to speed.

http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html
Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
burton5251

Quote:
Okay. I may be really confused. And I've just now got my third cup of coffee on board. So if this sounds silly; please take all that into account.

I agree that sending 12 v down a wire that calls for 5v is not a good idea.

But the diagrams that I'm seeing for VSS on other Honda boards show 12v for the 'power' or 'supply' wire. The 5v goes back to the ECU in pulses that are converted to speed.

http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html

I agree, perhaps I am missing something simple.... I reached out to HR and they confirmed on 05 and 06 the VSS power in 5V. Look in the image below about what it states. Am I making this much more difficult then it needs to be?

Last edited by burton5251; 02-28-2017 at 10:27 AM..
Old 02-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

So... it's an inline converter for the VSS signal. Cool. Did it come with wiring instructions or a schematic? I went to the HR site; but couldn't find anything.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
burton5251

Quote:
So... it's an inline converter for the VSS signal. Cool. Did it come with wiring instructions or a schematic? I went to the HR site; but couldn't find anything.

Yep, here is the link. My setup would be option 4

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/blog/hr...install-guide/
Old 02-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

You're using an 02-05 ECU (as required in the instructions)? Honestly... the instructions are a little weird/confusing. And I don't see how 12v turns into 5v by a simple tap into the wire (as per the diagram).
Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
burton5251

Quote:
You're using an 02-05 ECU (as required in the instructions)? Honestly... the instructions are a little weird/confusing. And I don't see how 12v turns into 5v by a simple tap into the wire (as per the diagram).
I agree, I believe that is a typo and should be 5V. I emailed HR and the response I received was...
"Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the message.

You can connect 12v source to the VSS box and not connect the 5v source to anything if you'd like."

That makes me think tapping into VSS1 is not required....
Old 02-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
a4andy
dafuq?

a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx a4andy might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by burton5251 View Post
So you tapped the VSS Sensor Signal (Blue A18) into VSS Out (Blue/White E26)?
I didn't use any speed converters.

I tapped the Blue/White wire (for speed sensor) on the BCU into E25 (VSS OUT) instead of A18 (VSS). My reasoning was that VSS OUT should be low frequency for the cluster to display your speed correctly.

My EPS rack turns on in about 2-3 seconds after the car is on.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
burton5251

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4andy View Post
I didn't use any speed converters.

I tapped the Blue/White wire (for speed sensor) on the BCU into E25 (VSS OUT) instead of A18 (VSS). My reasoning was that VSS OUT should be low frequency for the cluster to display your speed correctly.

My EPS rack turns on in about 2-3 seconds after the car is on.
Cool thanks. Also were you able to use the RSX rack brackets or did you have to use the EP3?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
a4andy
dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton5251 View Post
Cool thanks. Also were you able to use the RSX rack brackets or did you have to use the EP3?
My rack came with EP3 brakets already attached to it so I just used those. Only thing I used from my stock rack was the outer tie rods.