Supercharged *CHAT* CXV - The S/C crew resurrection - Page 14 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Supercharging RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #326
Luna
Tuna Luna

Luna is on a distinguished road
Hey broski's, what can cause high idle? My car idles at 1500-1800 when fully warmed up. In kpro, it is set to 1000.
I have a 74mm s2 Tb and was thinking maybe since the tb is so big, maybe it's the reason it's doing that? Any ideas?
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #327
FuknRSX

FuknRSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Hey broski's, what can cause high idle? My car idles at 1500-1800 when fully warmed up. In kpro, it is set to 1000.
I have a 74mm s2 Tb and was thinking maybe since the tb is so big, maybe it's the reason it's doing that? Any ideas?
IACV probably needs to be cleaned
Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #328
kddep3

kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kddep3 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Iacv?

Old 02-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #329
Luna
Tuna Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuknRSX View Post
IACV probably needs to be cleaned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddep3 View Post
Iacv?
Hmm, I'll clean it up tomorrow. I always thought when the iacv was dirty, the rpm would fluctuate a lot more than 1500-1800?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #330
nats007
Always on TDY...

nats007 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Hmm, I'll clean it up tomorrow. I always thought when the iacv was dirty, the rpm would fluctuate a lot more than 1500-1800?
True, that is another symptom. Surging usually points to a vacuum leak and IAVC is a common place for that. I agree with the others to clean up the IACV if you haven't done it in a while. I cleaned my 3x until it was spinning freely with brake cleaner and then cleaned it some more lol.

Also, when did the high idle start? Was it after the new TB was installed? Check TPS to insure it's aligned properly
cube -n- crew #uno | Short on Mod Cash Crew Member #35
nats007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #331
Luna
Tuna Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats007 View Post
True, that is another symptom. Surging usually points to a vacuum leak and IAVC is a common place for that. I agree with the others to clean up the IACV if you haven't done it in a while. I cleaned my 3x until it was spinning freely with brake cleaner and then cleaned it some more lol.

Also, when did the high idle start? Was it after the new TB was installed? Check TPS to insure it's aligned properly
Yeah, it's been high ever since I installed the larger tb. I cleaned it before installing it but I'll do that again. As for the tps, I wasn't aware it needs to be aligned properly lol. Is there diy or instructions for that?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #332
nats007
Always on TDY...

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, it's been high ever since I installed the larger tb. I cleaned it before installing it but I'll do that again. As for the tps, I wasn't aware it needs to be aligned properly lol. Is there diy or instructions for that?
Definitely check IACV first and ensure the orange gasket is set properly. I also read 2 other things to try 1) disconnect the battery, wait few minutes, reconnect and then reload your .Kal can help unexpected issues, and 2) replace the IACV.

I never done the TPS adjustment, but I read people having to do it with aftermarket ones:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=585478

References:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=165294

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=817688

Last edited by nats007; 02-16-2017 at 09:09 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #333
Ridgeback

Ridgeback is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Have you tried adjusting the throttle cable? The wheel on the skunk2 tb is shape different then oem. So if it is too tight, the shape could be causing your blade to be more open, allowing more air to pass, causing a higher idle.

Make sense?
EK K20a2 (gone)
CL9 K24a2 (gone)
EP3 K20a3 (gone)
Ridgeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #334
Luna
Tuna Luna

Quote:
Definitely check IACV first and ensure the orange gasket is set properly. I also read 2 other things to try 1) disconnect the battery, wait few minutes, reconnect and then reload your .Kal can help unexpected issues, and 2) replace the IACV.

I never done the TPS adjustment, but I read people having to do it with aftermarket ones:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=585478

References:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=165294

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=817688
Hmm I'll do some reading on that tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeback View Post
Have you tried adjusting the throttle cable? The wheel on the skunk2 tb is shape different then oem. So if it is too tight, the shape could be causing your blade to be more open, allowing more air to pass, causing a higher idle.

Make sense?
Yep, it was actually the first thing I tried. I thought maybe my cable was really tight, so I loosened it up to test it and the idle stayed the same.

So I'm thinking, maybe the gasket is not properly sealed. I tried to search for a 74mm gasket to replace my current p2r insulated gasket, but I have no luck find any gasket for that.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #335
Ridgeback

Ridgeback is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
HR has a 74mm gasket
EK K20a2 (gone)
CL9 K24a2 (gone)
EP3 K20a3 (gone)
Ridgeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #336
cauQazn
got retrofit?

cauQazn is easy..................when it comes to rep cauQazn is easy..................when it comes to rep
cauQazn is easy..................when it comes to rep
check the throttle stop setscrew, if its too far in it's probably holding the throttle plate slightly open. if you have vacuum leak it should surge not hold idle steady at a higher rpm.

and the tps you can recalibrate it in kpro to get correct scaling.

ATLANTA DALLAS
RSXRetrofits | VisionAutoworks | Team Hi-Def
UnitF14 Powdercoating | O'Reilly Plano

Last edited by cauQazn; 02-19-2017 at 10:30 AM..
cauQazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #337
DC5Sandbag

DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Just checking in. Off work tomorrow and plan to use my free time to work on my RSX and post pictures of my fuel system. Disappointed with the this year’s Chicago Auto Show. Most of the cars shown were for people who only care about getting from point A to point B and don’t care about the driving experience to get there. Basically a bunch of vans and SUV’s. Although Acura had the new NSX, Honda failed to show the upcoming Civic Type R (I don’t even recall seeing an Si). BMW didn’t have one “M” series car in the show. Subaru, well they should be embarrassed placing their outdated WRX STI up on a elevated platform. Interesting while I was looking at their BRZ and its engine compartment how many car enthusiast commented about its underpowered engine as they walked right by it. Poor Mitsubishi, lacking the Lancer Evolution in its lineup was stuck in a dark dead corner of the room with no more than six onlookers that looked totally bored. The biggest joke of the day is how some car manufactures are trying to sell to the public a “sporty” car by just slapping on the RS badge after the name and installing huge wheels/tires. It's kind of like the mentality “it has racing stripes therefore it must be fast”. For me the auto show just proved to me that Acura was ahead of the times when they developed the RSX fifteen years ago.

Last edited by DC5Sandbag; 02-19-2017 at 12:51 PM..
DC5Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #338
Ggballs

Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Sandbag View Post
Just checking in. Off work tomorrow and plan to use my free time to work on my RSX and post pictures of my fuel system. Disappointed with the this year’s Chicago Auto Show. Most of the cars shown were for people who only care about getting from point A to point B and don’t care about the driving experience to get there. Basically a bunch of vans and SUV’s. Although Acura had the new NSX, Honda failed to show the upcoming Civic Type R (I don’t even recall seeing an Si). BMW didn’t have one “M” series car in the show. Subaru, well they should be embarrassed placing their outdated WRX STI up on a elevated platform. Interesting while I was looking at their BRZ and its engine compartment how many car enthusiast commented about its underpowered engine as they walked right by it. Poor Mitsubishi, lacking the Lancer Evolution in its lineup was stuck in a dark dead corner of the room with no more than six onlookers that looked totally bored. The biggest joke of the day is how some car manufactures are trying to sell to the public a “sporty” car by just slapping on the RS badge after the name and installing huge wheels/tires. It's kind of like the mentality “it has racing stripes therefore it must be fast”. For me the auto show just proved to me that Acura was ahead of the times when they developed the RSX fifteen years ago.
So just wanted to update you on my fuel set up progress. Finally got the whole entire set up prices out piece by piece , and much to my surprise I'm looking at 1300$ total! I was shocked , but I'm going through with it. I think the only differences I can see I. Our set ups will be that I'm going with a walbro 450 and a custom "sending unit" as my tuner called it. Basically just a aftermarket fuel cage rather than modifying the oem one. I would love to see your pics so that I'll have something to go off of when everything comes in and I start the install.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #339
DC5Sandbag

DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DC5Sandbag is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Compared to my setup not a bad price when you consider that your setup has a bigger fuel pump and a aftermarket fuel pump housing. Sad to say that I didn’t get to work on my RSX or take pictures of my fuel system today. Instead trimmed some bushes, cleaned my wife’s car inside and out, and hardwire a radar detector in it. Like they say a happy wife is a happy life. Anyway, after work tomorrow I will take some pictures and post them.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #340
Ggballs

Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ggballs is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Compared to my setup not a bad price when you consider that your setup has a bigger fuel pump and a aftermarket fuel pump housing. Sad to say that I didn’t get to work on my RSX or take pictures of my fuel system today. Instead trimmed some bushes, cleaned my wife’s car inside and out, and hardwire a radar detector in it. Like they say a happy wife is a happy life. Anyway, after work tomorrow I will take some pictures and post them.
Lol hey man no worries. Gotta take care of the household responsibilities first. Ya I guess I just wasn't expecting the price, but after seeing the invoice it made sense. It's a ton of components working together just to send that fuel back were it came from, but at least j can say i did it the right way.im still very nervous about installing it, I'm hoping visuals of your set up play a big part in guiding me
Old 02-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #341
nats007
Always on TDY...

Garage
Ugh, fail... Been delaying work on my car and decided to go start stuff during my lunch break as I wasn't in the mood at work. Drove my happy ass home all excited to fail miserably lol. Will reattack on Friday. Half my tools are missing so that doesn't help much
Old 02-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #342
DC5Sandbag

Garage
Took some pictures of my fuel system. Tomorrow I will try taking photos from underneath and on top of tank.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #343
JTypeS

JTypeS might be well recognized one day on c-rsx JTypeS might be well recognized one day on c-rsx JTypeS might be well recognized one day on c-rsx JTypeS might be well recognized one day on c-rsx JTypeS might be well recognized one day on c-rsx JTypeS might be well recognized one day on c-rsx JTypeS might be well recognized one day on c-rsx JTypeS might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Took some pictures of my fuel system. Tomorrow I will try taking photos from underneath and on top of tank.

Clean looking setup
JTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #344
FuknRSX

am i the only one who gets 16-17mpg? its a struggle to get 200 miles on a tank of gas. i dont drive aggressively too much but i do like to get on it from time-to-time. i only live 5.5 miles from work so there isnt any road thats more than 45mph on the way to work.

is this because of my tune or could there be something else?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #345
nats007
Always on TDY...

Garage
Quote:

Soo clean
Old 02-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #346
nats007
Always on TDY...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuknRSX View Post
am i the only one who gets 16-17mpg? its a struggle to get 200 miles on a tank of gas. i dont drive aggressively too much but i do like to get on it from time-to-time. i only live 5.5 miles from work so there isnt any road thats more than 45mph on the way to work.

is this because of my tune or could there be something else?
It's most likely your tune, but also noticed it's the quality of gas. I noticed that mine dropped significantly when I get on it or if I gas at certain stations. At times I barely get 150 miles per tank and was shocked. Looking to retune soon, but I've been able to get 170-210 consistently after tweaking some minor stuff in kpro and getting gas at certain stations (usually shell, Chevron, or Mobil)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #347
FuknRSX

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's most likely your tune, but also noticed it's the quality of gas. I noticed that mine dropped significantly when I get on it or if I gas at certain stations. At times I barely get 150 miles per tank and was shocked. Looking to retune soon, but I've been able to get 170-210 consistently after tweaking some minor stuff in kpro and getting gas at certain stations (usually shell, Chevron, or Mobil)
well thats good to know cuz i thought i just had the shittiest of tunes. thanks!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #348
crackerjack
+ Displacement

crackerjack is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
fuel millage

Just FYI for those of you in the US.

when I was in Florida, I noticed that all gas station, Shell, BP, and others have 10% ethanol. Take that into consideration for fuel millage as it will be lower when compare to straight Gasoline without ethanol.

I run straight Gasoline 87 Octane, the basic needs(cheap gas) and my I get 420km before the lights come on.

This is on a K24a2 supercharged with Meth injection.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #349
nats007
Always on TDY...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
Just FYI for those of you in the US.

when I was in Florida, I noticed that all gas station, Shell, BP, and others have 10% ethanol. Take that into consideration for fuel millage as it will be lower when compare to straight Gasoline without ethanol.

I run straight Gasoline 87 Octane, the basic needs(cheap gas) and my I get 420km before the lights come on.

This is on a K24a2 supercharged with Meth injection.
Good point
Old 02-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #350
Luna
Tuna Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeback View Post
HR has a 74mm gasket
Hmm I checked and ended up not finding a 74. But I think my current gasket is fine, idk why I thought it was cracked but I looked over it and it seems fine. Thanks for the look out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cauQazn View Post
check the throttle stop setscrew, if its too far in it's probably holding the throttle plate slightly open. if you have vacuum leak it should surge not hold idle steady at a higher rpm.

and the tps you can recalibrate it in kpro to get correct scaling.
Thanks, I ended up checking that after reading your post. The screw was at its lowest possible setting so it was fully closing.

Update: I ended up buying the Acuity tps to cross that out of the list. The car does seem it wants to idle lower, 1200-1300, but raises up after hitting the throttle to 1500-1700 and then slowly decreases down to 1200ish. It did however jump idle from 1200ish to 1500 and then back down and back up a few times.

So then While I had everything taken apart, I inspected the manifold and seems that an old crack reopened. I sprayed some brake cleaner while the car was on, and sure enough, the car changed idle. So I bet if that wasn't cracked, it would idle better.

Is there an alternative manifold we can use with the JRSC? I remember they stopped making them period, and to source one out by itself, would be impossible. .

I remember cauQazn posted up some photos of a manifold he or someone fixed. Would like to see if that is an option still or what other options I have for the manifold since I've had it fixed before and the problem has occurred again.