Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY Guide: How to Reset your SRS Light. (Visual Guide)

653K views 739 replies 411 participants last post by  parajarito 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Our cars are known to have problems with the SRS lights, well basically all Honda/Acura because the system sometimes "hiccups" and causes codes to trip the SRS light.

DISCLAIMER: Please do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for any damages that you may cause by doing this SRS DIY reset. If you do not trust yourself, please take the car to Acura Dealership and have them reset it for you, Warranty will normally cover reset FREE of charge. Try this DIY at your own risk.

Note:
If your airbag deployed or seats have been removed or anything that may have triggered the SRS, this DIY will not work for you. All you will get is two flashes or more and the light will remain on.

Tools Material Needed:
  • Standard Paperclip (or wire)
  • Maybe a flashlight (night job)

Time:
- 1 to 5 minutes

Difficulty:
out of

See less See more
#397 ·
hey i had a question for all. My srs light would come on randomly while driving, even after resetting it a few times. Now it only comes on when i take off my seat belt before i get to my destination. So first all i was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. Second i know that the seat belt tensioners are part of the srs system so it could just be that. But the wierd thing is that when i turn off the car and turn it back on the srs light goes back off. i figure i'm just gonna have it looked at, since i dont wanna die in a serious crash. Any1 experience this shit before? thx all.

#398 ·
my light had been on for at least 8mo. Finally did this last week, and it worked like a charm. I tried to do it myself awhile back with no luck. I had a friend help me and it was great success

#403 ·
So last night I noticed my srs light on, this morning I checked the location of the yellow wire and it was dangling! It was not connected at all. I think the guy who installed my alarm probably forgot to put it on last week. BUT if it wasn't connected, wouldn't the srs light come on right away??

#407 ·
Mine was the same way, so I looked in the spot in the fuse box and there are no pins in there to connect to. I'm guessing it is only for diagnostic/reset, but they made a spot for it so people wouldn't come in asking about the dangling plug.

If someone knows for sure, feel free to chime in.

#406 ·
F'ing A, Man. Just did the DIY SRS light thing. The same basic instructions were on another site, and I tried it, but gave up. Then I found this site's DIY, and it seemed explained better. I think my paper clip was too big the first time--couldn't figure out where to put the ends. I went back out with a small clip and got the light to go off once. Then I tried a spliced wire config--same deal. Then back to the small clip--the key is to be quick in and out. Started the car--twice--and the light goes off. Now if it will just stay off until I get the thing inspected tomorrow--2001 Civic LX Sedan.

I'm B.S. about this MA law/rule put into effect Oct. 1. The inspector let me go today without a "red sticker." You'd think they would tell someone about this stupid change in the regs. I wonder if Honda had it put through the legislature in order to drive people into the dealerships for a quick $100 on the diag. and then much more after.

Complain to your state rep or senator if it happens to you in MA! I already have.

#410 ·
King of God

Yes, the DIY writer is king of kings, for sure. I finally got my inspection sticker today. I got up without breakfast and drove right to the same inspection station so I could get it done in case the SRS light wanted to come back on. I was going to lie anyway and say that the dealership reset it for me. But I spoke too soon and the guy didn't remember what the problem was until I mentioned the SRS light. Stupid!

Anyway, the guy asked me when it was reset because the car needs to be driven so the system can rescramble or something. He said I might still get a reject if the system hasn't adjusted, or whatever. Now I'm really B.S. I told the guy that before he did anything, was there a chance he would have to keep my car if I failed. I mean, I've read horror stories on some forums--after all, if the light's on, you're illegal.

Then I went off--I mean OFF. I did my best Pacino-in-the-courtroom tirade. After a couple rounds of this I went over to the corner and stayed quiet. Two minutes later I was all set with a new sticker.

I went to my state rep's office, and the kid in the office finally found the pertinent regulation: Apparently somewhere in Title 49 of the Federal Code of Regulations, Parts 571 to 595, and the new rule went into effect Oct. 1, 2008. But I still haven't found the exact text.

This is why I don't vote for Democrats because they'll regulate and tax your ass right off your body. BUT, you vote for Republicans and they do the same shit!

#420 · (Edited)
ARGH i've done this about 30 times. When i take the clip out, then plug it back in when the srs light goes out. It goes back on, blinks twice, and stays on. According to the guide when i plug it back in, it should stay off for me to then take it out so it will blink twice then. Any ideas?