Intake Manifold in California? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
B16VTEK

B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Intake Manifold in California?

I have a good bolt on setup and I'm looking to get a little extra power. I don't want to have to change out my intake manifold for smog every 2 years. I'm looking for the best option. Kpro is coming soon. What do you think for an IM?

RBC with Euro R throttle body
Type R
Any CARB legal IM (are there any?)
Other options?
91 DA I/H/E/Ecu/TB/IM 15.1 ET
B16VTEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 AM   #2
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
RRC Manifold
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
B16VTEK

B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx B16VTEK is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
If I wanted to go with an adapter id go RBC. I can't have a TB adapter it will not pass the visual for smog.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just need a smog guy thats less strict about the visual.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
B16VTEK

I have a Civic with a b16, that's a bitch to smog every 2 years. I may just do an RBC and take it off for smog. I just hate the hassle. I already have to put my cat back on for smog lol.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
dopeyrsx

The type r doesn't require an adapter and should pass the visual.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
B16VTEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeyrsx View Post
The type r doesn't require an adapter and should pass the visual.
That's what i was thinking, I may have to just do that and live with a little less top end for now. I can get one for like 120 bucks.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
kawi_200
Jimbo's Cowering Employee

kawi_200 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
They make a plenum extender dealy thing that bolts to the bottom of the stock PRB. You could try looking in to that for more air volume.

Does California inspection really look at things like the intake manifold and they would know it is different? That sucks.
ABP Crew Member #42
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee. My keys to the ignition are like gloves to Ali.
I bust in your eye so you can see me cummin!!!!
kawi_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #9
B16VTEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi_200 View Post
They make a plenum extender dealy thing that bolts to the bottom of the stock PRB. You could try looking in to that for more air volume.

Does California inspection really look at things like the intake manifold and they would know it is different? That sucks.
Yeah they are totally crazy about the visual inspection.

I have never heard of the plenum extender. If it was a relevant mod I'm sure I would have heard of it by now. Ill look into it tho. I'm still thinking a PRC is the way to go for now.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 PM   #10
kawi_200
Jimbo's Cowering Employee

kawi_200 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I tried to find the extender I was talking about but couldn't find it. Probably not made anymore. You can take your manifold off and turn it over. Take the bottom plate off and try to make your own or use it as access to try and clean up the inside. Not sure if either works at all, but just throwing ideas out there.
ABP Crew Member #42
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
Float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee. My keys to the ignition are like gloves to Ali.
I bust in your eye so you can see me cummin!!!!
kawi_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #11
B16VTEK

I think ill just roll with the PRC for now since its cheap and should work well with the hondata reflash. I'm gonna get the reflash first then save up for the full kpro and a tune later. RBC won't work well with the reflash anyway.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
The plenum extender is also known as the power plenum. P2R makes one:
http://www.powerrevracing.com/K20-Po...num-p/p301.htm
Probably not the route you want to go because it costs $100, you'd have to paint it silver to be discrete, and you'd need a tune, and there's no telling how much it will really do. It might only shift your powerband to the right/up in the rpms, which might be good for drag racing but not much else. You'd be better off with the PRC like you said, although I've been advised it needs 10-15% more fuel than the PRB (???). Idk if I can believe that. Because I plan to run mine with the RH reflash myself (I know, I know, I've been saying this for like a year. My car life takes a backseat (hah) to much else in life (job, house, family, primary vehicles)) but hopefully since that tune adds fuel back in versus the intake-only reflash, I should be good
Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
B16VTEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
The plenum extender is also known as the power plenum. P2R makes one:
http://www.powerrevracing.com/K20-Po...num-p/p301.htm
Probably not the route you want to go because it costs $100, you'd have to paint it silver to be discrete, and you'd need a tune, and there's no telling how much it will really do. It might only shift your powerband to the right/up in the rpms, which might be good for drag racing but not much else. You'd be better off with the PRC like you said, although I've been advised it needs 10-15% more fuel than the PRB (???). Idk if I can believe that. Because I plan to run mine with the RH reflash myself (I know, I know, I've been saying this for like a year. My car life takes a backseat (hah) to much else in life (job, house, family, primary vehicles)) but hopefully since that tune adds fuel back in versus the intake-only reflash, I should be good
Yeah I think PRC is the right choice. What are all these different hondata reflashes everyone is talking about. I only see 2, #4 for intake and other mods, and they type r #2 flash 8800rpm redline. That's all i see in the reflash sheet to fill out?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 AM   #14
dopeyrsx

Your best choice is with #4. The type r #2 reflash is for ITR cams... I think for Cali, I would go with PRC, type r cams, type r headers then get the type r #2 reflash.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #15
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Once upon a time Hondata offered two reflashes for the K20Z1 (a second race header one), but it's now extinct (viewed as an emissions defeat mechanism). And once upon a time, Hondata offered 4 reflashes for the K20A2, I think #1 & #3 had the stock rev limit but I suspect that on the whole people trusted Hondata's research and preferred the extended rev limit of the #2 and #4 reflashes.

Yeah that #2 reflash might be a good option! You could run the Z1 cams with it I'd bet (since like same). And Type R / Spoon style exhaust header would pass inspection too since has cat?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
B16VTEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
Once upon a time Hondata offered two reflashes for the K20Z1 (a second race header one), but it's now extinct (viewed as an emissions defeat mechanism). And once upon a time, Hondata offered 4 reflashes for the K20A2, I think #1 & #3 had the stock rev limit but I suspect that on the whole people trusted Hondata's research and preferred the extended rev limit of the #2 and #4 reflashes.

Yeah that #2 reflash might be a good option! You could run the Z1 cams with it I'd bet (since like same). And Type R / Spoon style exhaust header would pass inspection too since has cat?
I'm going to call hondata and see what they say, and if I can get the race header #2 reflash. I'm going to say I have a race header and a high flow cat.

If that doesn't work I know a guy who is an authorized dealer and he builds race cars, maybe they will give it to me if I go through him and say its an off road only car? Ill post what happens tomorrow.