Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

How many quarts of oil do you use...

Tags
oil quarts
19K views 73 replies 38 participants last post by  -Wingman- 
#1 ·
Just wonderin the average amount of quarts you guys use when you change out your oil and filters.... A couple days ago I changed my oil with 5w-30 Castrol Syntec and put a new honda OEM oil filter and it seemed as if i had to add about 5.4 quarts of oil to get the level up to the top hole on my oil dipstick... We should be using only about 5 quarts to get this level up... But this time i used a little more... Maybe my 5qt. container jipped me?? I dunno... Anyone else have to add more than 5qt's just to get the oil level up to par!? Just seemed like this oil change i had to add an excessive amount of oil just to get that damn level up....

#53 · (Edited)
This is from the helms

"5.80 (6.1US qt)for engine overhaul
4.74 (5.0US qt) for engine including filter"

the honda filter holds ALOT less oil than the amsoil or mobile 1 filters, so 5.8 is about right with a much bigger filter, and filling it to alittle over halfway between the dots

I also put the whole front end of jackstands and let it drip for about an hour while I eat lunch or something too

#58 ·
This is from the helms

"5.80 (6.1US qt)for engine overhaul
4.74 (5.0US qt) for engine including filter"

the honda filter holds ALOT less oil than the amsoil or mobile 1 filters, so 5.8 is about right with a much bigger filter, and filling it to alittle over halfway between the dots

I also put the whole front end of jackstands and let it drip for about an hour while I eat lunch or something too
:rotfl:

I think it'd be more beneficial if you drain what you can for 10-15 minutes on jacks, then pour in maybe 1/4 quart of new oil, then let that drain for 5 or so minutes. But I'm not saying I don't agree with your method - I'm all about taking food/beer breaks! :thumbsup:

#69 ·
I used 6, it was too much.

Oh well, it's not it will hurt my engine, right?
alittle bit too much isn't going to hurt anything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.