Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

ECU tuning *chat* ask your questions here first

297K views 2K replies 443 participants last post by  Beygan4 
#1 ·
commence.

#1,115 · (Edited)
Could use some help... I recently converted my car back to stock, except the kpro is still installed. This is 2005 RSX Type S.

Everything runs smoothly, drives fine, no error codes, EXCEPT once the engine is warm, it won't hold idle (when cold, it idles with no issues at all). It idles really rough and stalls within just a few seconds. I can keep it running if I nudge the throttle a bit to keep the revs up.

I did clean the IACV when I had the car apart. Things were changed back such as IM, cams, injectors (incl plugs), race header.

I included the calibration I'm currently running, as well as a datalog. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I am using the "k20a2-rsx-2005.kal" provided by Hondata, with some minor adjustments:
1) calibrated throttle position
2) tried different idle valve duty cycle settings, with no improvement
3) tried disabling idle valve, no improvement
4) enabled emissions error checking (to try and check everything is hooked up/running right)

I'll be taking the car to a dealer for immobilizer programming soon, so I can go back to a stock ECU. I just want to be sure the car is OK otherwise before doing so.

EDIT: update - tried a new kal with ign set to 15 (was 18) for 500, 750, 1000 rows; also set cam angle to zero for those rows. no improvement

Attachments

#1,116 ·
wow, there's really no one that can offer some insight? it used to be just a few hours and someone would at least chime in with a helpful tip. where'd everyone go?

I just took the car with a factory ecu to the dealership to just get it swapped out and have the immobilizer reprogrammed. turns out the ecu i bought (from a member on here) is apparently bad. so now, more than ever, I really need to get the car running decent with this kpro. the car has already been down a month.

can anyone out there please offer some help!? :D

at the very least, does anyone have a basemap for a bone stock 2005 type-s that was working for them? to reiterate - the hondata 2005 basemap which is meant for cai (and maybe some other minor mods) is not running right on my car. it won't idle and it also cuts out around 7500rpm.

#1,117 ·
Frankly, if it won't idle correctly, why are you taking it to 7500rpm?

The basemaps work fine, and even if the 05-kal was for a CAI, so what, mimic the stock ign values and cam angle values, re-tune for fuel. No basemap should work with no re-tune or at least a few tweaks. I probably used that 05-kal on my A2 engine without a CAI before... of course, I did not upload and call it good.

If it's not idling, look at the basics-- ignition and fuel. I'd check your AFR at idle. Make sure you know if it's set to open loop or closed, and if closed loop, make sure your parameters are correct. If you've no clue what I'm talking about, you need to do some reading.

It seems this "chat" thread is mainly people asking for help.

#1,119 ·
Frankly, if it won't idle correctly, why are you taking it to 7500rpm?

I took it up once to see how it was running through the rev range. It runs correctly at idle when cold, and throughout the rev range up to about 7000.

The basemaps work fine, and even if the 05-kal was for a CAI, so what, mimic the stock ign values and cam angle values, re-tune for fuel. No basemap should work with no re-tune or at least a few tweaks. I probably used that 05-kal on my A2 engine without a CAI before... of course, I did not upload and call it good.

Where are the stock ign and cam angle values for reference? I tried forcing the ign to 15 and cam to 0 for all values around the idle range, and it had no impact on the problem. As best I can tell, this is about "stock" settings.

If it's not idling, look at the basics-- ignition and fuel. I'd check your AFR at idle. Make sure you know if it's set to open loop or closed, and if closed loop, make sure your parameters are correct. If you've no clue what I'm talking about, you need to do some reading.

It was running closed loop at idle. Ignition would jump between 0 and 15 as it was going through its rough idle issues. I am not sure why that is happening, as the map was set to 15 across the board. Thus, I included the kal & datalog in hopes that someone may notice something I missed. As mentioned earlier, I did adjust the only paramaters I'm aware of that would impact idle, and never saw any benefit in various attempts. I don't claim to be an expert at tuning, but I know enough to at least be dangerous. Clearly something is happening that I'm missing.

It seems this "chat" thread is mainly people asking for help.

Would it be better for me to start a new thread to ask for help? In the past, it seemed like ppl were getting chastised for creating new threads for that, and it was the intention of the "chat" thread for questions such as mine. It seems like the "rules" are a moving target.

you gatta pay to get help..nowadays....
so it seems

#1,132 ·
you're right, i shouldn't criticize, but with your reply and your experience, i feel like i should be asking YOU questions. if you can't figure out the software, it might be time to look at hardware. my IGN settings jump around in 5th gear (cutting in half for a split second) and I forget what fixed the issue, but I was able to fix it somehow... something in the parameters window.

#1,129 ·
Hey has anybody had to return their kpro? I have an issue that seems to be based around my kpro. My fuel pump isn't working, so obviously my car won't start. Nothing else is effected and all my relays/fuses are ok. My kpro won't connect to my laptop either. So thats what makes me think its the kpro and not the fuel pump. My car has been sitting for the past 6 months waiting for a swap but the ECU is legit and was installed last spring. Any help appreciated!

#1,130 ·
So I dug around and found one of ground connections was loose and the other was cracked, I fixed them and it started right up. I hope this can help somebody else out. I was wierd because my fuel pump wasnt priming, my ecu wasn't connecting or data loggin or anything but the green light by the USB on the back was on so it looked like the connection was good and it had power. Now my 42o hp beast is alive again!

#1,131 ·
Ok, so I've mentioned in one of my threads that I am looking towards going with the reflash #4 for my 2004 Type-S. I've been doing a lot of reading in the past couple of months so I have a decent idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Before I go ahead and purchase the reflash I just wanna do a 'test run'. My friend is willing to let me borrow his Kpro. As far as I know, there is no map preinstalled that replicates the reflash and the closest calibration is the CAI calibration that comes preinstalled with Kpro.

Here's my question: If I were to run the CAI calibration on my car (I only have a Mugen airbox and Greddy SE exhaust), would I experience any knock or other issues? From what I've read, the reflash is sort of like a 'watered down' version of the CAI calibration. I know I'm not running a CAI so I just wanted to get some input from some of you experienced Kpro tuners as to whether I should be ok running this calibration with my current setup.

Thanks for taking the time to read. :)

#1,134 ·
you'll need to go into gear comp and change your settings there, then datalog and see what needs to be done.

#1,138 ·
hey guys, have a question for you.

Is there any way to disable the cold start through Kpro, and if so would their be any negative results? The reason i ask is because the car is excessively loud at cold start when hovering around 1800 rpms. Id rather be able to have it around 1000 rpms and wait a few more minutes.

#1,140 ·
ok so i heard that z3 cams > itr cams or is somewhat similar to the itr....and i got a set of z3 for free....i also found a prc manifold for sale and it got me thinking about the hondata itr reflash...i know that kpro is better n what not...but im not a budget...i searched and found that the itr piston isnt necessary to run the itr reflash but my concern is about the z3 cams...does anyone know or have run z3 cams with prc im and the itr reflash without a problem??....

#1,141 ·
I searched and found threads that kind of answered my question. I am running the "2005 K20Z RSX with cold air intake - dyno tune" on my kpro 06 type s. Car is running great on this tune. Can i setup the launch control running this tune? If so, what would i need to enter in the "Fuel & Ignition retard activation RPM, Maximum Speed, Fuel Enrichment, and Retard Ignition"?

I read that it will run lean during 2 step if the car isnt tuned. Should i just wait to get a real tune that is tuned to my mods? All i have is crsx cai and toda exhaust. Thanks

#1,150 ·
if you are looking for kpro, either take the ecu out or feel in the back of it for a usb port (the cable for printers) and most of the time there is a hondata sticker on it too.

Hey guys I am in high school so always short on money but i hav a base 2004 auto rsx and wanted to know if it would show any gain with a cai or should I get a chip and if so wat kind i dont really want to run over 250$...is this possible?
chips dont exist. get the cai and enjoy it. modifying cars takes a lot of money. you have to pay to play :rain:

On an NA setup, what are you guys setting for your lean protection settings (a/f, trigger time, etc.)? Or are you just leaving the default settings alone?
my tuner is confident enough in his tuning that there is no lean protection set on my tune :vtec:

#1,147 ·
I did a Type S swap in my base rsx a few years back. I am getting a primary o2 sensor cel that has been there for a long time but I'm needing to get it fixed to get the car inspected. My question is when they did the engine swap would I need to upgrade the o2 sensor to a type s one as well or would it stay as a base one since the wiring is different between the 2 i believe for the connector on the sensor. I just want to make sure I buy the right one to replace.

#1,148 ·
I don't believe the wiring is different between the 2 sensors - I used both in my car. They are the same sensor as far as I know (searches online show compatibility as being base and type-s). I'd get the type-s one, though, if there were a difference

#1,151 ·
hey everyone...

i just barely got my ecu from hondata.. i downloaded the software and plugged in the ecu to my lap top and what not.. trying to figure out what i need to do to get it up and running to bring the car home from the mechanics.. what i may have to change to start up the car fine..:noes:

thanks

#1,153 ·
You cannot use the 05-06 ECU at all.

You need to find a 02-04 ECU and then purchase K-Pro for the 05-06 RSX. You will receive the adapter harness with it. You will need to purchase a new O2 sensor, the Denso 234-9005 to be exact.

All K-Pro's as of September 2011 are K-Pro V3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.