Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Keep engine bay clean

10K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  PerezType-S 
#1 ·
So I plan to wash off the engine bay and get it nice and clean for show. After cover air filter, battery, wires and fuse box, what specific item to use best to clean engine bay to remove most of dirt and junk oil buildups without any problem. Feel free to comment members. ;)

#2 ·
My personal cleaning list:
1) Cover the battery.
2) Spray pretty much any engine degreaser all over, double hit any really dirty areas.
3) Use an old moist with degreaser paint brush type brush to loosen caked on dirt or grease.
4) Start the car and let it for the most part warm up.
5) Use a hose or pressure washer (on low setting, don't squeeze handle) to spray off the degreaser.
6) Take the cover off of the battery and let idle with the hood up for 10-15 mins until pretty much dried.
7) Turn off engine. Use a hand towel to wipe off the dirt on the battery and soak up any water pools that have formed.

#11 ·
wtf? Simple Green as a paint stripper.... that would never happen lol Simple Green is an eco friendly cleaner that is definitely not powerful enough to remove paint. I use simple green on EVERYTHING... no paint missing from my car lol

#7 ·
I used a degreaser on mine a few months ago and it turned my entire engine bay white, basically a white haze over EVERYTHING. scrubbed it with a tooth brush and soap...didn't work.... toothbrush and a different degreaser and it still wont come off. I don't know how to get it off so I just leave the hood down at shows now :ba:

#8 ·
you are probably using a wrong degreaser too powerful harsh degreaser. Someone told me that's a no no. can damage the components of the engine bay even paint surface. mmmm that could be it. :dontknow: try to spray it again but this time with kerosene degreaser and let it soak in for ten minutes then wash it again.

#10 ·
#15 ·
The only time you need to really do that is when you're power washing the bay, which is not usually recommended. I did because I was careful and knew where to not spray. I just don't spray or wash the fuse box. Just wipe it down later. :stfu:

Come at me.

#17 ·
I've watched a few youtube vids and read some threads about it, pretty are pretty split, some say to never do it just to be safe and not short anything because you do have harness plugs and grounds and all that, some say it's fine if you cover electical stuff with plastic and run the engine after for a little to help it dry faster.

:dontknow:

I'm too much of a bitch to try it because I don't want my car to start on fire.

#19 ·
Yeah I've cleaned mine with rags here and there, but no hose down or de-greaser, the bay is not terrible, but some stuff is rusted and has a lot of residue on it. Exhaust manifold cover was rusted to shit, I could pull the damn thing off with no tools.

#23 ·

I've used this with no issues and you can get it at the Dollar store. Just spray around the bay (being mindful not to spray certain electrical components such as the fuse box, battery, alternator, etc.). Start car, get hose, and rinse off.

Done it many times with no issues. Then, I use a rag/microfiber cloth to wipe down/polish after.

#24 ·
^^ I've heard of people using that before. Always heard good things about it too. Sounds like a cheap alternative to simple green etc.

I forgot to take a picture of that de-greaser that ruined my engine bay when I got home Monday. I'll see if I can find a link to it on autozones website and post it up here

#30 ·
omfg people, warm soapy water and a fucking high pressure garden hose attachment

if you've fucked your engine by having a fluid leak or spraying some stupid shit on it, you will have to do a lot more than just spray and wipe

cover all your electrical shit if you're a pussy - g'day

#32 ·
I just left it on there for a little while... not long. It fogged up some of my stuff aswell but I've been able to get most of it off. Just takes a little extra elbow grease

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.