Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

My Horrible Transmission Story

8K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  IronGumby 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a problem where my RSX TYPE S didn't want to go into gear or come out of gear. It went both ways. So I ended up taking the transmission apart thinking it was the clutch. Clutch was fine, pressure plate, flywheel. Throw out bearing did have a little damage so I replaced it. Opened up the transmission and noticed the main shaft bearing not functioning (spinning). Bought new main shaft bearings for top and bottom and replaced them. Replaced one counter shaft bearing. So I put my transmission back together and I believe I tight end the bolts way past the torque specs and I heard a loud crack noise. Looking over on the clutch case and noticed a little crack line. There I was still happy I got the case closed, due to not having my car for a month. Didn't think that would be an issue. So I put the car back together and put in 2 quarts of tranny fluid and my baby started up. Heard this noise I heard from before but went completely away after the car got off the jacks. So my gears shift so smooth it feels like a brand new transmission, reverse gear doesn't grind anymore!!! but ....... here comes the part where I noticed I'm leaking oil from the transmission so I didn't think of the part where i had the little crack in the clutch case when closing the 2 casings together. So I jack the car and notice its coming out of the flywheel area... FML. It was this crack I believe I have made.. ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A CLUTCH CASE FOR A GOOD PRICE ??If I didn't make this dumb mistake my car would of been perfectly fine, but now every time I park somewhere I notice a puddle of leak.... So my gears are fine and I fixed everything inside the transmission. WHAT A SUMMER, but if I get a clutch case for a good price I believe I have enough knowledge and skill to do this in 1-3 day span.

If you don't get where I'm coming from ill try and re explain

See less See more
#3 ·
I just checked this acura site and saw one for 300$ http://www.acurapartsworld.com/auto...e/transmission-manual-cat/mt-clutch-case-scat

It was pretty bad, its like the counter shaft pressed in and it made half a circle line.
Its not a full circle but the outer line of a circle lol but only half of the outer line, trying my best to explain how it looks. So its pretty bad. I'm about to go check the junk yard and see if I can find one. Ill take some pics of this leak later so people don't every do something so stupid again. Pretty sure it has happened to someone before

#4 ·
So I think it happened because something was installed wrong, not because you tightened the bolts too much. The bolt would have easily stripped out the threads before cracking the case on the other side due to pressure from the countershaft.

Just thinking out loud here since I am in the process of rebuilding my trans and obviously you will be rebuilding yours soon again, wouldn't want the same thing to happen again.

Anyone else rebuilt one of these have some light to shed on this?

#7 ·
Well nothing was wrong at all. When I put the case back together all shift collars lined up perfectly. But I did have the snap ring very very very very little of the groove it would sit on. I guess that May have been the problem. Smh I just wanted to get this done immediately due to my landlord being annoying (even though I pay for the dam gate) I'm pretty fucking tight I should have just took it a little more easy. Shame on me for this uncalled for mistake.

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Dc5kayy/library/Mobile Uploads?sort=3&page=1

#13 · (Edited)
Question how did you install and remove the bearings?

Explain the "noise from before" it might have just been the fluid being drawing to one side if you have your car jacked up only from the front side. More than anything if you had a whining noise from before its most likely the seized bearing.

Also "not going into gear/coming out" did this happen when you had the car off and just shifting gears? I would check your shift fork straightness when you dissemble it again. Also would check you clutch pedal height. A high pedal will simulate the "not going into gear/coming out" issue. Its like driving down the road and trying to pull the shifter into neutral, its possible but you gotta put some effort into it.

If you need an other immediate question answer, pm me will be faster than waiting for me to check thread and reply.

Crack in by the seal on the bottom?

#14 ·
Hey man thanks for the replies. Currently im still driving my car with fluid leaking.. I just add 2 quarts every 1-3 weeks. Car shifts great. Let me re explain where this crack is. So when you put the 2 casings back together you have the main shaft and counter shaft. The Input shaft that's on the main shaft goes into the bell housing and then right next to the input shaft is nothing because the counter shaft obviously doesn't come out. So right now as you read this picture the input shaft sticking out the hole and the counter shaft inside the bell housing. So when I tightened it the counter shaft pushed out of the casing and made a perfect circular crack line on the top. Its very fukin rare for this to happen but imagine fluid leaking out by the space of the flywheel. You know how the flywheel has an opening under the transmission, the fluid leaks out of there. So no fluid should be coming out of there so picture (once again) the shaft going into the clutch and then a crack above the shaft

I replaced that seal and have no leakage from there.

Also im surprised my transmission never blew on the grinding I would have. It wouldn't want to go into gear and I ended up driving home from times square (nyc) all the way home using 3rd gear. Imagine driving home using 3rd gear starting on 0mph, it isn't a good feel at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So whoever reads this before you ever take your transmission out always change your fluid just too see if that's your problem.

#16 ·
thanks man on the thought. I mean i love my car but now its getting annoying + winter is coming up .. cant be doing this in the cold. PLUS im back in school and dont have time to do it. Im trying to find a garage for a month un stead of doing it in the gate. I can deff do the job in a 1-3 day span working on it little by little. If not parts needed !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.