Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Chain Slap/Chain Noise PLEASE HELP ME OUT

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  boom07zx6r 
#1 ·
Whats up guys I just got my k20 build running and Ive got some not so good timing chain/tensioner area noises. It seems to be in the 1500-3000 rpm range then the noise is gone or not audible. It is definitely coming from the chain area/front cover. Brand new motor assembled by myself (Former hyundai tech, currently a subaru tech) and this is not the first motor ive assembled just the first k20. The noise isnt in the cylinders/motor area only the chain case area. Ive included a link to a clip of the noise. and the mods are:

4 Piston Racing Pro 156 head
Kelford Cams 179-B2 cams
Supertech Dual 92 PSI Valvesprings with Supertech valves
King Motorsports 35 degree VTC
Skunk2 exhaust cam gear set at 103 BTDC
Stock timing chain tensioner

Tensioner/chain/guides all new. Also tried the whole 2 clicks to the tensioner thing, did not help. Please check the video out and give me your two cents, trying not to just dump parts in.
http://youtu.be/ZG29UN4Odqo

#3 ·
No no extra slack. I think adding 2 clicks to the tensioner was a bad idea, the chain is leaving marks on the skunk2 exhaust cam gear. Stumped at this point. Wondering if im having a vtc issue because i was watching the cam and cam command and it seems as if whenever it was off it was making the noise. Either way that timing cover area is generating hella heat in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.