Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Extreme engine lag to 1st especially with AC on

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mallen600 
#1 · (Edited)
Update: I think my problem is due to the 8lb Ultralight Flywheel, when shifting in traffic with the AC from 1st to 2nd, the RPMS dip hard below 500, and the compressor kicks off. Anyway to adjust this short of Kpro, or changing out the flywheel? When its time for the clutch to be changed, im going back to stock or ITR.

After about 2000 miles that I've put on this RSX S since buying it last year, I've come across an issue that I don't know where to address to fix.

Going from stop to first, feels like the car is struggling to get fuel, for the first 1-2 inches of pressing on the gas pedal the car feels week and then a surge of power kicks in and the car drives like normal. Without the AC on this isn't much of an issue unless I drive the car around town for an hour or so, then it gets progressively worse.

With the AC on, I have to push the gas pedal 3/4 of the way down to get it going from a stop.

This causes the initial start to be really jerky.

ICV has been cleaned
Spark Plugs and Oil changed about 100 miles ago.
AEM CAI V2 (New Filter)
Competition Clutch 1.5 and lightweight flywheel.
Idle is around 700 with or without the AC compressor running at stop.

Another possible related issue is the AC compressor turns off when I'm stopped, and possibly when I push the clutch in.

I know that honda's are notorious for weak power with the AC on, but this a big strain (almost undrivable with AC on) compared to my 92 B16a Civic with AC, my girlfriends 99 Civic LX, or my friends 2006 RSX Base.

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah that's not normal. I have the same exact clutch combo. My A/C does not turn off at idle, which, BTW, is usually 850rpm. I'd say your compressor is going bad or you need to re-oil your IACV (I noticed you said you cleaned it, but people on here say you need to re-oil it when you do. I've never attempted it yet).

#7 · (Edited)
I have the same issue... Still searching for the cause. I cleaned iacv, replaced O2 sensor, changed all oil and transmission fluids, replaced a bad alternator, spark plugs aren't too old, replaced a couple fuel injectors, new injen amsoil filter, replaced intake mani and throttle body gaskets and I cannot figure it out..

I also have a lightweight flywheel and i'm starting to wonder if maybe that has anything to do with it. Really hoping not, or that whatever it is can be fixed in a tune with KPro. I also gotta flush the coolant system... I guess there may be a chance that there is a bubble trapped in there.

#8 ·
i would say lightweight flywheel plus an upgraded clutch mixed with the parasitic loss of running your compressor would make it harder to get going. our cars have no torque, is this the first honda you have driven?

on stock clutch and flywheel my car doesnt like to start with compressor on, i usually turn it off.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, its greatly appreciated!

When I push the pedal with the AC on after driving the car for 10 mins or so, that first 3/4th of travel, its like im not getting any gas at all. Although from 1st to 2nd and other gears gas is responsive.

I'm thinking the AC probably needs a charge/belt change and its adding to struggle. Since even with the AC off, driving it around for awhile, the fuel response in the pedal is almost nonexistant until the gas is pushed really far in and the car makes me do the new manual driver lunge.

So any thoughts on what could cause that lack of fuel/throttle response if the car is hot, and the IACV has been at least cleaned (not oiled)

#12 ·
I'm not sure, I think though its a competition clutch and flywheel combo that the previous owner bought. I got the car last year for 4300 with 134k + extra parts which I sold for 600. Id rather not had the flywheel but at the price I was OK for its kinks and potential probs.

#13 ·
Light weight flywheel is probably it, just like you thought. It decreases the inertia of the engine when you disengage the clutch, that combined with the resistance from the AC compressor is probably the cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.