05 RSX Type S Whistle/Whining sound at high RPM - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Notices

Old 10-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
cookiecrumble

cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
05 RSX Type S Whistle/Whining sound at high RPM

Alright, so I have crawled clubrsx looking for solutions to my problem but haven't found a solution. I just bought an 05 RSX Type S and I am hearing a whistling sound right around when VTEC kicks in, so about 5500RPM. The noise is directly related to how much throttle I give the car. It's very pronounced at WOT. It doesn't make a difference if I push the clutch in or put the car in neutral. I can't replicate the sound unless the wheels are spinning or else it'll hit rev limiter. The car currently has an oil leak and won't reach the middle line on the temperature gauge, but I don't know if those are related.

The sound is almost exactly like this clip
https://youtu.be/sSpz-cHdNP8

I first thought it was the VTEC solenoid so I changed it out with my friends, no difference. Low power steering fluid was also a suggestion, mine is full. Intake leaks were the next suggestion. I swapped between my stock intake and my friend's AEM CAI. The sound still did not go away, but the VTEC crossover was much more pronounced. I am sure that it isn't the speakers making the sound.

I'm really frustrated trying to solve this.
cookiecrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 12:28 AM   #2
Eric_G23

Eric_G23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eric_G23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eric_G23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eric_G23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eric_G23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eric_G23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eric_G23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eric_G23 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
do you have an aftermarket stereo
Eric_G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
cookiecrumble

cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx cookiecrumble is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_G23 View Post
do you have an aftermarket stereo
Yes, but the sound is not coming from the stereo. This sound is coming from the engine bay.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I really can't hear it. If it stays a constant pitch (like a note on a piano); but just gets louder with RPMs... I'm guessing it's intake related. If it increases/decreases in pitch with RPMs; probably pulley/bearing/belt or something similar. I recall with intakes that whistling would happen when the engine was under load differently that just revving the throttle in neutral.
shoegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
cookiecrumble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegazer View Post
I really can't hear it. If it stays a constant pitch (like a note on a piano); but just gets louder with RPMs... I'm guessing it's intake related. If it increases/decreases in pitch with RPMs; probably pulley/bearing/belt or something similar. I recall with intakes that whistling would happen when the engine was under load differently that just revving the throttle in neutral.
I had a friend race me in his 8th gen si, and I kept up with him just fine so there's no noticeable power loss. According to him, the whistling sound is really loud from the exhaust but almost muted from the front.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Do you have one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x_PyLw_xp8
shoegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
Vencis

Vencis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Vencis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Vencis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Vencis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Vencis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Vencis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Vencis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Vencis is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It's all decoration dawg WHOOO WHOOO!

Quote:
Vencis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
cookiecrumble

Garage
Quote:
lolol, unfortunately mine isn't only in the morning. I took some videos of my car, and I think I have it narrowed down to the muffler. Didn't realize where it was coming from until I heard it outside the car.

https://youtu.be/jT-ReYpHDYk
https://youtu.be/bUR_4Q0Egy4
https://youtu.be/0FPh8aOrvzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqvdtS5HTUI
Old 10-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
TTercel

TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TTercel is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Check the intake manifold for leaks.
TTercel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
cookiecrumble

Garage
https://youtu.be/jT-ReYpHDYk
https://youtu.be/bUR_4Q0Egy4
https://youtu.be/0FPh8aOrvzc

It really sounds like the whistling noise is coming from the muffler.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:30 AM   #11
bradcsti

bradcsti is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bradcsti is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bradcsti is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bradcsti is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bradcsti is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bradcsti is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bradcsti is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bradcsti is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Did you ever fix the problem? Did you have to replace the whole muffler, or just a gasket, or was it something else?
bradcsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
cookiecrumble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcsti View Post
Did you ever fix the problem? Did you have to replace the whole muffler, or just a gasket, or was it something else?
I ended up having to replace the muffler, I remember reading a thread about it but I didn't take it seriously since the source of the sound seemed to come from the front.